BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 37 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

"then what was that crap about archaon on a dragon"

Answered your own question!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
    yeh the core units are often boring. id rather have smaller more dynamic units. that being said i love the idea of flanks and positioning that blocks give.

also from a hobby standpoint i put a TON of effort into even crappy models point wise so its nice in a way to not need to paint as much assuming the games are fun
    Yeah, it's been one of the major things that put me off WHF - I don't want to paint a LOT of models I don't like the look of. As I've previously mentioned in posts before, I have a soft spot for tomb kings but those core units just never appealed to me in the least but I love all the more "elite" stuff. I do wonder if this view is perhaps a more common one or not, as it might explain why GW would go towards a more elite focussed game to try and get more people into it.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Just Undead Legion it up with Vampire Counts skellies~!

Or use them in a TK army. Say they were barbarians from the frontier, enslaved to their rightful lords and masters!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Yeah, it's been one of the major things that put me off WHF - I don't want to paint a LOT of models I don't like the look of. As I've previously mentioned in posts before, I have a soft spot for tomb kings but those core units just never appealed to me in the least but I love all the more "elite" stuff. I do wonder if this view is perhaps a more common one or not, as it might explain why GW would go towards a more elite focussed game to try and get more people into it.
    i actually went and bought around 400 bucks worth of vampire counts and then gave up and sold the army almost right away. primarily because i hated the choices in cool vampires to be a centerpiece but also because of the zombies that were mandatory and... plentiful....

(btw i know the morghasts are super cool i just didnt wana clean them and paint all those skulls....)

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    I assume that both the game and the models will continue to allow a variety of army builds, styles and sizes. It might even help with the lower-point games - a big stumbling block for entering Warhammer at the moment, as the game just doesn't... work as well at 1k as it does at 2k.
    "Back in the day" (why do I feel so old when I say that?) they actually had side rules for "Warhammer Skirmish" and "Warbands." You could play a really small match with specialized changes to the rules, or even 200-500 point games with rules for limiting armies to maintain some balance, and even campaign rules for those. The rules were in White Dwarf *and* available as a PDF download. Kind of like how the 40K rulebook had rules for Kill Team and Combat Patrol included so people could play smaller games... but then they took those out of the rulebook and have since made Kill Team a dataslate that you have to pay extra for. For all that people talk up "more options" these days, there were a lot of options in the past, that you didn't have to pay for, some even included in the rulebooks. But we lost the rules for small battles and gained Apoc and Storm of Magic instead. Those are nice, but we don't just need rules for letting veteran players use more models, we need stuff to attract the newer players. Or even let the veteran players do 30-45 minute matches, like the "lunch games" they used to talk about the WD crew playing.

Wow, I already feel old today, and I haven't even gone to the store where I can tell people, "The dice in this bag are older than you are."

/sigh

Quote Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
    i actually went and bought around 400 bucks worth of vampire counts and then gave up and sold the army almost right away. primarily because i hated the choices in cool vampires to be a centerpiece but also because of the zombies that were mandatory and... plentiful....

(btw i know the morghasts are super cool i just didnt wana clean them and paint all those skulls....)
    Zombies aren't "mandatory." I have a bunch but pretty much never use them. I prefer Skeletons, or even Ghouls. Skeletons over Ghouls, really. They do the job fine. If you feel Zombies are a better choice, you can do "filler blocks." The local GW manager was doing a unit of 100 Zombies, but rather than get five boxes and assemble and paint all of them, he grabbed various size bases, a Garden of Morr, some spare Empire, and modeled Zombies rising up in a graveyard fighting Empire soldiers. If a whole block couldn't be removed at a time, it'd just have dice set beside it to mark how many were dead (um... dead again). If you don't want to go to that much effort, you can grab 40mm square bases, use tombstones from the Undead kits, and slap a pair of tombstones on the back of the base and a pair of zombies on the front, which gives you four "Zombies" but you only have to paint two. I did that with five of them (so 20 Zombies, in effect), and modeled some of the zombies rising up, two "comforting" each other like they were family, one pointing to another zombie like "What the heck is going on here?!?", another guy holding his own head, and generally tried to give the look of freshly raised and confused corpses. It might not be "accurate" with the fluff, but it's easy and looks cool, and that's the important thing.

Can't say much on the Morghasts yet, they're my "treat" for finishing up more of the core units. But I occasionally get distracted by other stuff. Just finished some Spirit Hosts last night. They show how easy painting can be sometimes, I just sprayed them white and washed the spirits with Nihilak Oxide, and it gave a beautiful ethereal look. (Then I had to paint the skeletons they were rising from, and base details, but that's not bad.) You can churn out a lot of stuff fast and looking effective if you do the right tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Zombies aren't "mandatory." I have a bunch but pretty much never use them. I prefer Skeletons, or even Ghouls. Skeletons over Ghouls, really. They do the job fine. If you feel Zombies are a better choice, you can do "filler blocks." The local GW manager was doing a unit of 100 Zombies, but rather than get five boxes and assemble and paint all of them, he grabbed various size bases, a Garden of Morr, some spare Empire, and modeled Zombies rising up in a graveyard fighting Empire soldiers. If a whole block couldn't be removed at a time, it'd just have dice set beside it to mark how many were dead (um... dead again). If you don't want to go to that much effort, you can grab 40mm square bases, use tombstones from the Undead kits, and slap a pair of tombstones on the back of the base and a pair of zombies on the front, which gives you four "Zombies" but you only have to paint two. I did that with five of them (so 20 Zombies, in effect), and modeled some of the zombies rising up, two "comforting" each other like they were family, one pointing to another zombie like "What the heck is going on here?!?", another guy holding his own head, and generally tried to give the look of freshly raised and confused corpses. It might not be "accurate" with the fluff, but it's easy and looks cool, and that's the important thing.

Can't say much on the Morghasts yet, they're my "treat" for finishing up more of the core units. But I occasionally get distracted by other stuff. Just finished some Spirit Hosts last night. They show how easy painting can be sometimes, I just sprayed them white and washed the spirits with Nihilak Oxide, and it gave a beautiful ethereal look. (Then I had to paint the skeletons they were rising from, and base details, but that's not bad.) You can churn out a lot of stuff fast and looking effective if you do the right tricks.

yeh you can totally use fillers but if you are doing pure VC, zombies are always best no matter what

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Just Undead Legion it up with Vampire Counts skellies~!

Or use them in a TK army. Say they were barbarians from the frontier, enslaved to their rightful lords and masters!
    I only really like the Spirit Hosts, but I'm planning to use those as 40k energy based xenos instead.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Sergeant

I'm not to impressed with the new rumors list. I felt like the guy answering the question was either too lazy to give a full answer or was "beating around the bush" with his/her "yes, something like that" answers.

Also, according to the new rumors, character like Lords and Heroes have round bases while the rest of the army are on square bases and the characters can't join units now. It feels like GW is slowly turning Warhammer Fantasy into 40k.

The first time I played fantasy, I was coming from playing 40k so naturally my lords and heroes were on their own and not join by units. They didn't last long. Most of them were killed in their first turn.
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

Fly Lord

via Voices in the Wind 2-24-2015
    WFB 9th Box Content

- WFB 9th Starterbox follows the "Stormclaw/Exterminatus", with almost all existing minis and a unique boxed-set only hero model.

Chaos:

2 Warriors of Chaos units

1 Daemon unit

1 Chaos Warmachine

2 Lords (1 unique)

Forces of Light:

2 Empire infantry units

1 Empire cavalry unit

1 Elf unit

1 Warmachine (Dwarf possible)

2 Lords (1 mounted, 1 foot)

Non-Minis: