BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 64 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

via one of gary's [URL="http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/V9bMIM9c3Go/age-of-sigmar-and-9th-edition-fantasy.html"]birds[/URL] 5-29-2015

Age of Sigmar will be not the first part of a Three-Part Ruleset in the 9.Edition, it will be the Name of the first Starter Set. The Set includes Simplyfied Fantasy Rules, based on the new Edition with Skimisher Rules. Age of Sigmar will be an easy and "cheap" introduction for new People and the first Release of the new Edition. Soon after the Set GW will release the Full Rulebook with full skimisher and standard Rules. Later in this Year, there will be a classic Starter Set like the previous with two Armies and a Full Mini-Rulebook.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    On the other hand, the designers sometimes pull off insane interlocking poses that look dynamic individually yet somehow rank up.

I'm talking Dark Elves Corsairs here. I'm thinking the CAD sculptors voodoo sacrificed quite a few chickens to make that all work out.
    often doesn't work though. chaos knights? absolutely no chance of ranking them up. same with chaos warriors.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

It's all in the movement trays. The modular ones have a little extra space, allowing stuff to rank up.

Me, I'm still expecting two different takes - round base exclusive skirmish (possibly using the really rather ace LotR rules), and good ol' square bashing.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

chaos models still don't fit even a little bit
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Captain

Yeah the ranking issue comes from using a rule set that was designed for set posed metal minatures that were 2/3 the size. My circa 3rd ed woodelves rank up beautiful, the multi pose new plastic ones need a bit of careful thinking in the construction phase.

That's why I'm hoping the round base rumour is moving towards the WoTR style of unit. It'll make things much easier to deal with and allow the plastic kits to really come into their own.

I can't see the two levels of game having different bases because that would effectively make them 2 different systems and two different set of models, which on paper may seem like a good idea, but it would simply mean the larger scale game still just posessed the same issues as WFB does now. Also GW does seem to like to keep the number of system low I suspect because it keeps their overheads lower and means more money for them.

Unless the 'main game' allows any unit to be fielded as skirmish on the round bases, with different perks compared to ranked units.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Unless the 'main game' allows any unit to be fielded as skirmish on the round bases, with different perks compared to ranked units.
    May be but what is your reasoning for 2 different styles of bases in the same system, I can't see them putting 2 different types of bases in each set and producing packs of extra bases that people don't need to buy is only going to increase GW's costs. I can't see GW doing something that's going to make their lives harder/less profitable

And yet it's literally already happening, unless you think those photos of the Grey Seer and Gutrot Spume were faked or random flukes

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    May be but what is your reasoning for 2 different styles of bases in the same system, I can't see them putting 2 different types of bases in each set and producing packs of extra bases that people don't need to buy is only going to increase GW's costs. I can't see GW doing something that's going to make their lives harder/less profitable
    Daemons have had just that for some time.

Bases cost nowt to produce, because they're a pretty simple mould, and see wide use.

Brother-Captain

Expect of course that bases will cost something to make, the machines will cost to run and it will cost employee time as well, for a company that is doing some serious cost cutting it seem highly believable that they'd do the same with their manufacturing and I'd not be suprised if bases are in fact the single most produced product.

Yes daemons do currently have both but they are an example of what I'm talking about. They didn't stop making separate 40k and WFB daemons because it fitted the background or made it easier for customers they did it because they saved money on having only one type of box not two.

Now I don't think it'll happen over night they'll let us keep using the square bases and may even continue to sell old stock with them but eventually I can see square bases being a thing of the past.

Of course it is just a rumour but it is one the more believable ones