BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 30 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Locke66 View Post
    If those units aren't selling in the quantities required to make them viable (aka consistently profitable) then it makes sense for a public company to do this. I suspect that the molding and design process has become much much cheaper in recent years and the majority of the "costs" will be in shelf space, warehousing and maintenance. It wouldn't be the first time a company has looked at the profitability margins on their products and chosen to write off a bad investment to make space for future sales.
    No it doesn't.

Main cost of the mould would already have been paid up to the point the first models are being produced. After that, storage isn't a problem for GW (warehouse is *massive*, and owned by the company). Maintenance? More the casting machines than the moulds.

Makes no sense = Earlybird is talking mince, probably to try to look the big man on the interwebs.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

TBH i have no issue with the setting of WHF being moved forward a little. Gives GW a chance to bring in new heros and some really powerful special characters.

I would be disappointed if they do get rid of any factions. But I could see a logic in bringing certain races together under a similar banner but give those different sub faction their own mini books or bonuses. In the same way that you have Space Marines > Blood Angels/Dark Angels/Black Templars etc you could have Humans > Empire/Brets/Kizlev etc. And if anything id like to see Dogs of War type "faction" brought back. In a time of eternal battle, mercenary units would be fact of life.

But most people will adapt to the make up of armies if the actual game and rule set remains solid and logical. Im not sold on the round bases thing. But I can see GW doing it. The rule set will make or break this revamp. I was going to return to WHF but our whole club has decided to postpone a WHF map campaign to await the outcome of 9th ed.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    sorry, wait, I thought we we're discussing the rumours as listed and the hypothetical out come of them. You do realise to do that you actually have to operate under the assumption that the rumours are true, I mean the possibility exists that they aren't true, but then why are you even talking about them......Perhaps if I re-issued my statement with a caveat of "If these are true" that might be easier?

Of course on the other hand, we see this ever single time:

RM"GW is doing XYZ and its bad"
    C1"Well these are pretty bad and heres why"
    C2"they are just rumours man, GW isn't that stupid"
    -Rumours are inevitably accurate in roughly 70% of instances
    C1 "see told you so"

RM"GW is doing XYZ and its bad"
    C1"Well these are pretty bad and heres why"
    C2"they are just rumours man, GW isn't that stupid"
    -Rumours are inevitably accurate in roughly 70% of instances
    C1 "see told you so"
    Recently, 70% is a very generous figure for actual accurate rumours.

And the rumours that sound bad? Yep, they're the ones that tend to be made up. It's obvious, on account they're made up.

Then the hatemob use the inaccurate rumours as a reason to beat GW for reasons best known to themselves.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Recently, 70% is a very generous figure for actual accurate rumours.

And the rumours that sound bad? Yep, they're the ones that tend to be made up. It's obvious, on account they're made up.

Then the hatemob use the inaccurate rumours as a reason to beat GW for reasons best known to themselves.
    You're right, 70% for recent rumours is a fairly maximum statement given the current climate. that being said, we have not seen this independent correlation be wrong in a long time and that is what gives strength to this batch

edit: And there is no such thing as a "hate mob" theirs the disappointed fools and and the ones that like the taste of GW excrement
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

There's a definite hatemob duder. Those who, no matter what GW will do, will decide it's clearly a personal insult to them.

Not many (if any) on this board like, but they are there.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

There's a definite hatemob duder. Those who, no matter what GW will do, will decide it's clearly a personal insult to them.

Not many (if any) on this board like, but they are there.
    I can agree with this, they invariably play solely other games though and are easily identified. The term however is essiantilly used most commonly by the worst apologists as a means of detracting from the statements by those of us that are able to think critically about GWs actions and either praise or decry them on each occurance
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Apologists isn't the right term for someone who challenges another's opinion. Apologists tend to go against fact with simple opinion.

Sadly there is a Troll in the Warhammer board pantry at the moment. Which is pretty rare for this forum, thankfully.

Earlybird's rumours just smack of utter nonsense. I kind of doubt he's even read Khaine, where one of the Elven Gods creates a pocket dimension world thing, and sends Araloth there. Strong implication is that this is precisely where the Warhammer World originally came from, and it's part of an eternal cycle. World is overrun by Chaos, so she creates a new world, which will take them a long time to notice, and even longer to break into. When that is overrun, rinse and repeat presumably ad infinitum. Which is actually pretty cool. Seeing as she only does this once, so far as we can tell, the whole 'floating dimensions' is palpably nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vangrail View Post
    They better not get rid of lizardmen wtf! My army would be useless and why would they cut out an army thats always been around??
    Well, not counting the weird array of "armies" in its early life, Lizardmen actually came about in WFB5. They and Bretonnians were the armies in that starter box, and that was when both got their first army book. They were meant to be new additions (well, as armies... they'd been in the fluff) to spice up the game a bit.

And now both are rumored to get the axe in a shakeup to spice up the game.

Kind of like how Chaos and Undead all used to be one book each, then got split up, and are now going back to one book. Or how people are suggesting we're getting 4th edition Empire back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMonk View Post
    TBH i have no issue with the setting of WHF being moved forward a little. Gives GW a chance to bring in new heros and some really powerful special characters.
    Moving the background forward? Awesome. Heck, even shifting continents, I liked that concept.

Shattering the world into pieces floating in a bit of warp, like Warcraft's Outland? Now you're losing me. But it hits full stupid with the idea of islands floating around crashing into each other, and someone looks over and says, "Oi! That bus of Undead crashed into our bus because the wind picked them up and threw them into us! We're going to go kill them for having the audacity of randomly being slammed into us!"

That idea is so stupid that it feels offensive anyone would make it up even as a rumor. If it's real, then I'm going to wonder how many drinks and drugs are getting involved in the planning process in Nottingham.

- - - Updated - - -

Earlybird's rumours just smack of utter nonsense. I kind of doubt he's even read Khaine, where one of the Elven Gods creates a pocket dimension world thing, and sends Araloth there. Strong implication is that this is precisely where the Warhammer World originally came from, and it's part of an eternal cycle. World is overrun by Chaos, so she creates a new world, which will take them a long time to notice, and even longer to break into. When that is overrun, rinse and repeat presumably ad infinitum. Which is actually pretty cool. Seeing as she only does this once, so far as we can tell, the whole 'floating dimensions' is palpably nonsense.
    Huh. I have to go and read through all of Khaine soon, get caught up on this. That actually sounds more like Warcraft's "Emerald Dream," which is an unblemished blueprint of the world the way it was supposed to be, before Old Gods got involved, and invasions came, and everything got messed up. There's even a reset process if the world gets too messy, they can just take the blueprint and rewrite the entire world with it (granted, killing everything on it in the process, but hey, that's what happens when you reset an entire planet).

I'd hope GW's idea is significantly different from that. Otherwise, I'm really going to start laughing at the "protect the IP" claims, because so far I hear a lot of ideas that sound suspiciously like they were taken from other settings, rules sets, or marketing "strategies." If you're out of original ideas, it's hard to claim that your attempts to sue everyone are to "protect the IP."

Yeah it's dumb, also makes no sense. I mean creating End Times lists so you can mix and match appropriate armies makes perfect sense, but removing the individual army books and halving the amount of product they can sell when they are the manufacturer doesn't. Saves shelf space? That's what popular items, new items and online stores are for.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Locke66 View Post
    If those units aren't selling in the quantities required to make them viable (aka consistently profitable) then it makes sense for a public company to do this. I suspect that the molding and design process has become much much cheaper in recent years and the majority of the "costs" will be in shelf space, warehousing and maintenance. It wouldn't be the first time a company has looked at the profitability margins on their products and chosen to write off a bad investment to make space for future sales.
    You have a point. However, more often than not the u its aren't selling because either they don't have good rules and/or good models. It is well established that if GW give them one or preferably both of them they we'll sell by the bucketload. Furthermore, you need to weigh up the saving of removing the line against the cost of pissed off long term leaving and never coming back. People do come and go, but getting rid of a unit someone loves and there is a model for, or worse still an entire army, that is guaranteed to lose GW ever their most loyal fans. Which is why they won't do it and this is a glimpse of the future wrapped up in a load of smelly horse poo.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 30 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast