BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Legolas, Tauriel, two boxes of Mirkwood Rangers: 500 point "army," $130. Yeah, still a bit more than it should have been, but it was palatable.

Librarian

If fantasy went LoTR style, I'd be for that. I loved that ruleset, and agree that it was pretty tight, next to no wiggle room for arguments. Shooting was rather meh and I played elves, but that could be fixed. Wish I could play more of that game.

So very interested in what happens to fantasy. I was looking into getting back into fantasy, as I have a sizeable DE army that I acquired models to upsize some units. Now I'm waiting to see what comes about in the new edition.

the thing fantasy has potential to do that 40k does not, movement manipulation. fleeing intentionally and using blocks to increase the flee distance, manipulating WHERE a flee happens which blocks charges. blocking charges and prohibiting movement. all of these things are MOVEMENT based. ever wonder why the best fighting game players use fast characters? outplayability. movement usually = potential skill. the "blocks" function as an important role of creating this focal point for you to manipulate around. if there was no combat there would be no flanking but if block sizes decrease or go away, i cannot see this system working and it may as well just be 40k.

that being said im also excited and scared. fantasy is "cooler" to me atm aesthetically and overall the setting but im not that diehard that i wouldnt drop it for 40k if it sucked....

Yep. Agreed.

Anyone can set up a brutal charge, but it takes skill to arrange that whilst denying the same to your opponent - especially given the higher risks combat poses in Warhammer (even your dead hard unit can, and will, be beaten by Gobbos with just a slight shift in luck!)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

Looking forward to the idea of it becoming more of a skirmish game. The old realm of chaos books used to have that vibe with the eye of god campaigns. Not keen on the idea of a fantasy space marines game though. Fingers crossed they'll pull it back to a minute before midnight scenario

Must add the the base rumour is putting me off getting started yet

I too am warming to the idea of change. as much as anything, Simplifying the whole thing and bringing the size of the armies back down might just encourage gamers to actually paint their armies !
    I was in warhammer world the other day and there were so few armies painted, let alone to a decent standard...lets hope. Mind you it doesn't seeem to work for 40k , most seem to get tipped out of a shoe box straight onto the table !

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan66 View Post
    I too am warming to the idea of change. as much as anything, Simplifying the whole thing and bringing the size of the armies back down might just encourage gamers to actually paint their armies !
    I was in warhammer world the other day and there were so few armies painted, let alone to a decent standard...lets hope. Mind you it doesn't seeem to work for 40k , most seem to get tipped out of a shoe box straight onto the table !
    We did an End Times megabattle last weekend, and in order to encourage people to paint their armies, the manager made a special rule that everyone got Hatred against unpainted models (painting being three colors, no need for special basing or highlights, just a basic paint job).

With that incentive, one of the more powergaming Chaos players finished one of his units... but only halfway through one or two others (and those are tiny units). Neither Skaven player had a fully painted army (one had some painted, but they'd been painted for a while). The young Ogre player had a painted army, but he tries to paint everything as quick as possible (and kitbashes a lot too). Almost all of the painted Chaos was provided by one player who also had a lot of painted Elves and some painted Ogres, or the store manager (he lent the bad guys his Skaven and newly painted Bloodthirster). Empire player and Orc player were unpainted (though the Orcs had a painted Grimgor I finished two days before the battle). Dark Elf player was about half painted. And I had so many painted Undead that I could have summoned a second army.

Net result, the photos were not nearly as impressive as they should have been. Too much primer and bare plastic.

And I'm not sure 40K really requires that many fewer models, especially as the new formations-of-formations are pushing people to make bigger armies. And I see a similar issue with lack of painting in 40K.

I might be guilty of using unpainted armies at times, but only because I like changing what I'm playing a lot. I have fully painted armies for Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Orks (two armies, basically), Dark Eldar, Orcs & Goblins, Empire, Skaven, and combined Undead, though each has room to grow due to newer releases. (You can also guess at how much I can grow to hate painting at times. Imagine 6K of Undead in a month's time, or 5K or Orks in six weeks.)

Always like to hear of gamers incentivising painting armies, especially in tournaments .
    I love to see others peoples armies, it is the best way to get new ideas for basing etc.
    I'm just starting a combined elven army ( yes on round bases ). It's great to pick all the cool stuff from the 3 armies then trying to work out colours and how they will look on the battlefield

I was already wanting to do a High Elf army that was the opposite of bright colors and clean uniforms, they'd be muted colors and dirty, some blood here and there, looking like a "lost expedition" or something. With the combined Elf list, I can add my Wood Elves to the mix and some other stuff, paint them all like that, and have them represent some of the surviving Elves (right before everything died).

My basing with the Undead was pretty simple, just use Stirland Mud with a wash of Agrax Earthshade, Dryad Bark around the edges (matches the color of Stirland Mud), and then on the larger bases (cavaly, monsters, etc.), use some clear glue to apply random patches of static grass. Looks pretty desolate. For my Khorne Daemonkin (and this might be a small issue as I'll also have to figure out a way to work the Daemons into a larger Daemon army), I was thinking of trying to work streams and rivers of blood onto the bases, at least the larger ones. (Lava is cool and all, but come on, it's Khorne, it should be blood.)

I LOVE painting, and more than that, I love converting. I was just thinking yesterday of all the fun things I used to do converting stuff with cheap models people messed up and sold for tiny amounts, or picking up super cheap stuff at Wal-Mart to use for conversions. There was once this series of cheap action figures, not really impressive, but $1 each. My dad and I snagged some of them, and went crazy with the pieces from them. Some had Egytian stuff like a banner or weapon, so I've used those on some Egyptian themed Marines I'm doing (I finally have a good way to have a Dreadnought holding the weapon, too). Some of the wings got green stuffed onto some Chaos Marines for flying Possessed. There were a few skeletal beasts (that had the aforementioned wings), they were put on cavalry bases and covered with green stuff that left patches of skeleton showing and looked like it was torn off in places, made great Nurgle Spawn. It was maybe a $10 investment in parts, but went a long way. I need to make a trip to the nearby department stores again, raid the toy section.

First-Captain

Cannons respect no-ones rank

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Back during 4th and 5th edition, there was an article by Rick Priestley in White Dwarf talking about the "crazy" idea of using 50 Goblins in a unit, because such a huge unit would surely be a surprise to the enemy (if a bit unwieldy)! Now, it seems like 50 is the minimum for a unit of Goblins, and you see units that size all over the place.
    I vaguely remember him writing about that.

4th Edition was the only version I ever played funny enough, but I always found that I could use cannons very effectively against big units of Orcs and Goblins quite well, after a few games you could with accuracy guess ranges, you just had to allow for fickle fate of course.... The dice gods had to be bribed many a time LOL

Needless to say, I was (still am) an Empire player (sometimes Dwarf), I never could win with Skaven or Undead becuase of the lack of cannons LOL.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast