BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 85 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

What always put me off the original WHF was I just found it too generic for my taste and found it boring. I love some of the tomb kings stuff and the skaven were always great but not much beyond that ever had much interest to me - there were some things I liked more as a kid too but tastes change. If they have more unique and weirder stuff I'd probably be much more tempted. At the same time I guess I can empathise with people that liked things as they were and won't take to the changes. I can see things being very dividing - but whether it works out or not, I guess we'll all have to wait and see
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

Agreed. Whilst the fluff was fine, most of it was pretty generic. Hell, it used our world as the map for goodness sake. At least 40k takes a number of generic sci-fi elements and blends them together into something interestign and fairly unique. Anything which makes Warhammer more unique can only be a good thing. Unless its rubbish.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    What always put me off the original WHF was I just found it too generic for my taste and found it boring.
    I take it you don't play 40K then?

Let's see:

Space Elves
    Space Orks
    Space Ogres
    Space Halflings
    Space Dwarfs... oh, right, they killed them (and then sort of brought them back with a different name)
    Bug Swarm
    Gundam
    Space Marines (so generic that lawyers laughed at them trying to copyright it, especially when their own are rip-offs of Heinlein)
    Space Soldiers
    Metal Undead in Space (Egyptian, at that!)
    Viking Space Marines
    Vampire Space Marines
    Nobody Expects the Inquisition!
    Giant Fighting Robots
    Evil Space Elves
    Demons
    Evil Versions of "Good" Warriors

Well, I suppose the Adeptus Mechanicus, on a basic level, is not that generic. So... yay for having *one* group that isn't generic sci-fi slightly modified to fit the 40K background?

When people claim WFB is "too generic," I laugh, especially if they play 40K. They're both "generic" and they can't help it. Every idea's been done lots of times. The only ideas that are "fresh" are the ones too stupid to roll with (and even they occasionally pop up as someone thinks "I'll be the one to make this work!").

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Agreed. Whilst the fluff was fine, most of it was pretty generic. Hell, it used our world as the map for goodness sake. At least 40k takes a number of generic sci-fi elements and blends them together into something interestign and fairly unique. Anything which makes Warhammer more unique can only be a good thing. Unless its rubbish.
    Hmm. 40K is our own universe, and even centers the Imperium on Earth.

If they hadn't tried so hard to separate the two universes (and then admitted again that they're the same), it would have made sense. The Old Ones seeded a lot of planets and created a lot of races, and it makes sense to have a basic blueprint for a planetary structure.

But then, the description in this topic also says that it's going to be pretty much the same world with a few alterations. So I guess it's still too generic.

And please, people, stop saying Fantasy-in-Space/All-the-Sci-Fi-Tropes is "unique" compared to WFB. It's not. Putting Fantasy elements in space doesn't suddenly make them no longer generic, nor does it make the generic sci-fi tropes less generic.

It's okay to have "generic" elements. Game of Thrones does it. Harry Potter did it. Plenty of successful settings do it. And they're interesting settings. WFB and 40K have interesting settings even with - not "despite" - their generic stuff.

The only people who don't like it are the ones who think they can really make a monopoly... but it won't happen. You can't make something so different that no one could make their own version.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

Let's see:

Space Elves
    Space Orks
    Space Ogres
    Space Halflings
    Space Dwarfs... oh, right, they killed them (and then sort of brought them back with a different name)
    Bug Swarm
    Gundam
    Space Marines (so generic that lawyers laughed at them trying to copyright it, especially when their own are rip-offs of Heinlein)
    Space Soldiers
    Viking Space Marines
    Vampire Space Marines
    Giant Fighting Robots
    Evil Space Elves
    Demons

Well, I suppose the Adeptus Mechanicus, on a basic level, is not that generic. So... yay for having *one* group that isn't generic sci-fi slightly modified to fit the 40K background?

When people claim WFB is "too generic," I laugh, especially if they play 40K. They're both "generic" and they can't help it. Every idea's been done lots of times. The only ideas that are "fresh" are the ones too stupid to roll with (and even they occasionally pop up as someone thinks "I'll be the one to make this work!").

- - - Updated - - -

If they hadn't tried so hard to separate the two universes (and then admitted again that they're the same), it would have made sense. The Old Ones seeded a lot of planets and created a lot of races, and it makes sense to have a basic blueprint for a planetary structure.

But then, the description in this topic also says that it's going to be pretty much the same world with a few alterations. So I guess it's still too generic.

And please, people, stop saying Fantasy-in-Space/All-the-Sci-Fi-Tropes is "unique" compared to WFB. It's not. Putting Fantasy elements in space doesn't suddenly make them no longer generic, nor does it make the generic sci-fi tropes less generic.

It's okay to have "generic" elements. Game of Thrones does it. Harry Potter did it. Plenty of successful settings do it. And they're interesting settings. WFB and 40K have interesting settings even with - not "despite" - their generic stuff.

The only people who don't like it are the ones who think they can really make a monopoly... but it won't happen. You can't make something so different that no one could make their own version.

I didn't say I didn't think 40k wasn't generic. It is, it just happens that SF has more tropes that I enjoy. I'm far pickier with fantasy in general and it needs a bit more for me to be able to enjoy it. No ones made a fantasy game that has grabbed me yet, allthough I've been tempted to go homebrewn. Some come close like Bushido and Mallifaux but don't have any factions I like enough to invest in, plus the model count is too small for me. I'd like to see a japanese mythological based wargame that has lots of weird creatures you get their folklore which I am rather fascinated by.

But yes, I don't play 40k, and most of my armies (except the generic necrons, which I am a shameless sucker for) are non-official factions like Enslavers, Cult of the Dragon admech and Uluméathic League.

The only ideas that are "fresh" are the ones too stupid to roll with

Each to their own. My ideas might be stupid to some people but I'm doing it because it's what i want to see and it is my passion.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 06-13-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

Let's see:

Space Elves
    Space Orks
    Space Ogres
    Space Halflings
    Bug Swarm
    Gundam
    Space Soldiers
    Viking Space Marines
    Vampire Space Marines
    Giant Fighting Robots
    Evil Space Elves
    Demons

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying being generic is a problem nor am I criticising it. I quite enjoy both 40k and Warhammer backgrounds. But the Warhammer background always felt like what it was, a rather generic fantasy setting the evolved out of D&D. 40k by comparison takes generic elements (space marines, orks, Terminators, Aliens, etc) and blends them together in an interesting way that makes it feel relatively original. Warhammer didn't feel like it did that so well.

Compare Warhammer with GoT. There is nothing new in GoT (the map is basically our world) and it's effectively War of the Roses with dragons and ice zombies. Doesn't sound particularly original, but works really well. Warhammer was more just generic orks, generic elves, generic chivalric knights, generic Undead etc., dumped in a generic world. It was missing that je ne sais quoi to blend them altogether.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

"Anything which makes Warhammer more unique can only be a good thing. Unless its rubbish."

This is basically where I stand.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Compare Warhammer with GoT. There is nothing new in GoT (the map is basically our world) and it's effectively War of the Roses with dragons and ice zombies. Doesn't sound particularly original, but works really well. Warhammer was more just generic orks, generic elves, generic chivalric knights, generic Undead etc., dumped in a generic world. It was missing that je ne sais quoi to blend them altogether.
    It would have worked fine if they hadn't started phoning it in. They cut out some of the interesting stuff, and weren't willing to expand. It would have been a relatively easy fix, but, well, that takes a bit of effort and studying the customer base and paying writers to stick around and think.

Fly Lord

via [URL="http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sml25k"]Rhellion[/URL] 6-12-2015 (via twitter/twitlonger)

"Good afternoon,

Games Workshop is launching the Age of Sigmar - a completely new system – on July 11th. You can start promoting the Age of Sigmar in your store today!

What is the Age of Sigmar?

· The Age of Sigmar is a brand new system that continues the End Times story

· This system is a great way for new customers to start collecting fantasy miniatures

· Existing customers will be able to use their current miniature collections and add to them with the Age of Sigmar

It is a continuation of the story line, but not going back to the old world. 100% of the models available now will continue to be supported. The audience for this launch is not the dwindling number of Fantasy players, but for EVERYONE including the veterans but with the idea that this isn't "just" 9th edition which will just loose them more players but a whole new mechanic to draw people in.

They are actually doing trade shows and cons this year to drive interest in the game.

This is a continuation of the story of End Times but NOT the old world. If a model is currently for sale by GW it will be usable in some way.

I don't have confirmation of the horrible "reality bubbles" rumor, but he (HIS GW REP) is going to ask about it.

I'll be getting significantly more info the week of the 29th, with the idea of doing a build up event the week of the 4th."

Some notes on this:

1) This reads like a message sent from GW to retailers to get them preliminary info on the upcoming product to pass onto customers.

2) Note the emphasis on NEW players STARTING fantasy miniature collecting...

3) "the dwindling number of Fantasy players, but for EVERYONE" That's a bit of an unvarnished take on where things stand with WFB.

4) If a model is currently for sale by GW it will be usable in some way.

This is one of the most brutally honest descriptions of WFB and what GW hopes to achieve with Age of Sigmar. It sounds more like acomplete reboot with the intention of bringing in a whole new wave of brand new players and sweep the existing WFB players along with the tide doesn't it? It certainly doesn't have the sound of an incremental releases and ruleset compared to WFB 8th.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Blaming the death of fantasy on the playerbase?.....yeah this sounds like GW
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Curiouser and curiouser....

Bit about GW rep.....could be asking because he doesn't know, or because he's not sure if he can reveal.

Cash Cannon is developing an itchy trigger.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 85 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast