BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 40 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Not my cup of tea. I suppose they'd make god bits if you are a Chaos fan but... not my thing at all.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

i actually find these to be hands down the worst end times and frankly anything sculpts. could be the pics but the ones painted with flesh tones are just awful

Quote Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
    i actually find these to be hands down the worst end times and frankly anything sculpts. could be the pics but the ones painted with flesh tones are just awful
    The paint jobs aren't helping their newer releases. I want to see a Bloodthirster painted by someone who actually wants to paint a decent looking model before I pass final judgment on it. Every close-up of it just calls out the fact that they're going way over the top on edge highlights, with every single edge having a harsh bright line painted on it, something they might think looks good in photos, but IMO looks bloody awful and just makes the chunkier sculpts they'd had lately even more noticeable. I wonder what happened to the 'Eavy Metal team, seems they've been wrecked as much as Priestley noted the dev team was.

Some of the stuff with the Khorne infantry looks okay, some doesn't, and I'm not sure how much is the sculpt and how much is the paint job. Though I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of chunky design that doesn't have the same detail it used to, because it's quicker and cheaper to do blocky design on a computer (and then people tell us we should feel blessed to only spend $116 on a model, or $55 for a bare-minimum sized unit).

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    The models are nice enough, but another non-monstrous monstrous infantry unit is something I just don't get. All the cost of monstrous infantry with none of the benefits. Does anyone actually use those Nurgle chaps?
    Only if they have more money then points to spend.......................
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    The paint jobs aren't helping their newer releases. I want to see a Bloodthirster painted by someone who actually wants to paint a decent looking model before I pass final judgment on it. Every close-up of it just calls out the fact that they're going way over the top on edge highlights, with every single edge having a harsh bright line painted on it, something they might think looks good in photos, but IMO looks bloody awful and just makes the chunkier sculpts they'd had lately even more noticeable. I wonder what happened to the 'Eavy Metal team, seems they've been wrecked as much as Priestley noted the dev team was.

Some of the stuff with the Khorne infantry looks okay, some doesn't, and I'm not sure how much is the sculpt and how much is the paint job. Though I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of chunky design that doesn't have the same detail it used to, because it's quicker and cheaper to do blocky design on a computer (and then people tell us we should feel blessed to only spend $116 on a model, or $55 for a bare-minimum sized unit).
    im always fooled by the photos. i for a bit thought they blended it well but then the closeups came.... and it was bad..... extreme edge highlighting just photographcs soooooooo well its not fair. they have guys who can paint well but im 100 percent sure they are told to paint something we can PHOTOGRAPH well not something that looks good in hand

Another box of over priced figures that look average at best and are painted to a below par standard.
    This trend of having infantry on monster bases is clearly so they can do more dynamic poses without having to think about ranking up...with round bases coming this will clearly be the way forward.
    In my opinion the best end times figure has been the skaven grey sear!
    I have invested thousands of pounds and years of time building my warhammer armies...I am truly apprehensive about the next edition. I know a lot of what's coming guys...if you like the loose play of 40k with a handful of models your in luck...if not it might just be the end times for you and me.

I wouldn't worry about the rumours.

In short, if it ain't from Harry (and that doesn't include Harry's english translation of someone else's rumour) it's almost certainly utter, utter nonsense.

Me? I'm all for small Hammer units coming into the game. These guy? Use Marauders for your Anvil, then bundle these guys in for the Hammer.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

im always fooled by the photos. i for a bit thought they blended it well but then the closeups came.... and it was bad..... extreme edge highlighting just photographcs soooooooo well its not fair. they have guys who can paint well but im 100 percent sure they are told to paint something we can PHOTOGRAPH well not something that looks good in hand
    They might be able to paint well normally, but that stuff is just bloody awful. It really struck me that the painting article in last week's WD did a better job of teaching people how to do a proper paint job than looking at the photos of the studio models with those crazy highlights. It really sticks out how bad they are because they're doing them on anything that sticks out, so even the muscles have extreme highlights everywhere. It feels like what you'd see from someone who was told the basics of how to paint but had never really done it and took things too literally.

But I do envy the paints their hands' stability. I can barely do lines before I start losing eye focus and cramping up or going slightly off. Having to do that many thin lines everywhere... yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    They might be able to paint well normally, but that stuff is just bloody awful. It really struck me that the painting article in last week's WD did a better job of teaching people how to do a proper paint job than looking at the photos of the studio models with those crazy highlights. It really sticks out how bad they are because they're doing them on anything that sticks out, so even the muscles have extreme highlights everywhere. It feels like what you'd see from someone who was told the basics of how to paint but had never really done it and took things too literally.

But I do envy the paints their hands' stability. I can barely do lines before I start losing eye focus and cramping up or going slightly off. Having to do that many thin lines everywhere... yikes.
    relative term. it looks good in photos and on the tabletop from about 3 feet away. that makes it better than 999999999999 million trillion zillion khorne armys ive seen lol

relative term. it looks good in photos and on the tabletop from about 3 feet away. that makes it better than 999999999999 million trillion zillion khorne armys ive seen lol
    Photos that they're already touching up, it might seem okay, though it was bugging me in those even before I saw the close-ups. And from three feet away, some of us will still notice it and be seriously bothered by it. I've seen better painting from people who are just starting to actually paint at the local GW. It might not be as "crisp" but it doesn't look ridiculous. I've only seen one person use harsh edge highlights like that to decent effect, and he has a lot more subtle blending in his army. (And he's another one whose hand steadiness I'm jealous of, he managed to hand-paint a ridiculously gorgeous banner for his High Elves.)

I really can't tell if I like the Bloodthirster or not because of that paint job. Ditto for the new infantry. Granted, there's also a couple of issues with their sculpting that isn't paint-related (like how the chains all seem to be oddly shaped links or even completely solid links), I'm not sure if those are a problem with the computer design or their casting process. (If they're going to go cheap on the casting process to save money, we shouldn't be seeing plastic models over $100.)

Page 40 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast