BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 53 of 121 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Edit: has anyone else found it odd that certain people post loudly and constantly about how they cant stand people discussing rumours.....in a rumour thread....about rumours...under discussion?
    He should just use rolling eye emojis and an ironic signature to hide his mental deficiency.

Again, rumours are cool. Rumours are fun.

People knowingly posting lies, then denying - not so much.

Try to keep up dears.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Initiate

The way to attract new players and still keep veterans involved is formatting.

You set up a 2-3 year campaign with Characters in a specific storyline arc. This is your Standard format for casual play, skirmish, and tournaments.

Then, you include everything ever made into a Legacy format. So when a Standard story arc ends, then those Characters can join the Legacy format. That way your models are still usable, but you buy new ones if you choose to continue to play Standard.

The core units would largely remain the same and you could perpetuate the overall story arc with DemiGods that have the ability to transcend time, space, and dimensions.
    Do the thing you fear the most and the death of fear is certain.

Initiate

GW has a lot of competition in this genre, namely Warmahordes and Malifaux.

I have played Warmahordes pretty loyally for 11 years and it's a great game. The learning curve is steep and can be discouraging. The game can end very quickly with an assassination.

I have played WHFB over the years and I like that it's pretty beer & pretzels. It involves strategy, but nowhere near the intense, frantic strategy of Warmahordes.

So, same genre, basically, but two very different games.

Does WHFB have any gas left in its tank with all of this competition and with the utterly stupid way GW treats its fans and retailers?

Do people want to paint upwards of 300 minis to play a 2500 point game with little to no play testing by the manufacturer?

Do people want to spend $1000's of dollars to build an army? Will that army be competitive when the next Codex comes out?

The answer to all of these questions depends on GW. They have the fans, the overall system is pretty good, they make great models(except for Finecrap), and they have a niche in the market.

The question is, how do they market, play test, develop, and perpetuate WHFB in the future?

If I were them, I would base it off of game system models that work, namely Magic the Gathering.

They could introduce a Core Book with the rules and all of the base units for each army, kinda like PP does in Prime and Primal.

Then they could introduce a Campaign Setting Book with terrain guidelines, fluff about the pocket dimension, new Characters for each army, and Avatars. They could add to this world through Compendiums that further the fluff, introduce new characters, and expand playable missions. They can also use these to rebalance the armies. After two-three years of fighting in this pocket dimension, they could draw a close on that storyline and move onto another one, thus ending the block.

In the next storyline, your old characters are defunct. Avatar characters could advance because they should be able to transcend time, space, and dimension, much like Planeswalkers in MtG.

The newly defunct Characters can join the Olde World Characters in a Legacy type setting, so will still be playable, just not in the new pocket dimension.

Your Core Units and Kits would always be valid and could be updated with bits to fit the aesthetic of the New Campaign Setting, as an option.

This would make old players happy, bring in new players, balance the game, and let GW sell a ton of minis, but that's just my two cents.
    Do the thing you fear the most and the death of fear is certain.

Brother-Sergeant

So.....anymore actual new rumors yet?
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

Not yet, no.

I was kind of expecting the boxed game or such to be this week coming or the one after, as staff have been unable to book annual leave.

But it would appear this week coming at least is an Assassins boxed game for 40k.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Not yet, no.

I was kind of expecting the boxed game or such to be this week coming or the one after, as staff have been unable to book annual leave.

But it would appear this week coming at least is an Assassins boxed game for 40k.
    And that's just going to be so hot and fly off the shelves so much, you know they can't risk letting people take time off!

I'd buy it.

I'll probably buy it, but given that even Space Hulk didn't sell out and is still available in solid numbers, I don't like the idea of them blocking guys from taking vacation over it. For a new edition of WFB or 40K, or a major expansion for one of those games, or an actual new game in the permanent lineup, I could understand it.

First-Captain

Businesses should let customers take time off from buying things? Genius idea that.