BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 91 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Reboot my ***. Looks like 9th is a whole new game altogether. New world, new names, new rules complete with new stats...new models...looks like we might need to or expected to switch to brand new models. (Roman looking knights pfft)
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by flipchuck View Post
    Reboot my ***. Looks like 9th is a whole new game altogether. New world, new names, new rules complete with new stats...new models...looks like we might need to or expected to switch to brand new models. (Roman looking knights pfft)
    What about that isn't a reboot?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    Isn't Ynnead an Eldar god or something like that?
    The gods of 40k and WFB have always been the same, and not just the Chaos ones. The Eldar Bloody Handed God Khaine has been worshiped by the Dark Eldar for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    The most recent rumour Bigred posted does seem a little off it just doesn't seem to be writen by a wargamer more by someone who knows a bit about it but doesn't really do it, it could be a language thing but it could be a troll who knows a bit about WFB and is having their fun.
    A lot of what I've seen here is actually pretty plausible, even if it is on the far end of that, and the language used doesn't seem off to me.

But some things look a little far fetched (even in this rumor thread):

- If Pantheons are so important, why don't we have rules for most of them, and especially why don't we have rules for the Sigmar pantheon.

- Opposed Rolling isn't really the GW way of doing things, and it is surprising to see them alter the names of so many of their stats (Melee, Ranged etc, instead of WS and BS). Also, lower stats being good isn't really a GW thing either- although it is pretty unnecessary as they tend to simply create a chart that converts the large numbers into small numbers (BS 5=2+ to hit, for example).

However, I lived through the move from 2nd to 3rd ed 40k, and so I'm skeptical of anyone dismissing far fetched GW rumours.

Ultimately, this very different game might represent GW 'listening' to all of the criticism that their game system is way out of date, and creating something very new and different. Maybe they aren't going to be so set in their ways in the future.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 06-17-2015 at 09:50 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

"If Pantheons are so important, why don't we have rules for most of them, and especially why don't we have rules for the Sigmar pantheon."

Possibly because that's what future books are going to be, breaking out of the "Army Book" cycle and into a new way of doing things.

It's all just a rumour, I know. But personally, it's an exciting rumour.

"looks like we might need to or expected to switch to brand new models."

That is explicitly not what the rumour says. Look at the part about "legacy models" and bases. I fully anticipate being able to use almost everything in the existing Warhammer range. What they'd like is for you to buy the new things they're bringing out going forward - by making them new, fresh and interesting rather than just "plastic versions of old kits" - rather than junking all your Warhammer models immediately, which would be a crazy response.
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 06-17-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

'Being able to use them' could mean many things. It could mean 'a seamelss transition that requires little to no change to my current model collection' to 'those square bases are pretty clunky to use, you only need 4 of those 40 black orcs you have and you might as well burn all those movement trays'. I am greatly concerned that it will be the latter based on these new rumours.

Here's what I don't get. If they wanted to do a new game with new model ranges and armies, then why not just do that and keep Warhammer going? Why risk alienating your existing player base wit such radical changes? I really hope these rumours aren't true.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Just another reason they're quite possibly mince.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I'd suggest that if they're doing something this drastic then the existing playerbase wasn't large enough or buying enough stuff to make continuing with the status quo a viable business option. Which is really sad, but if that's the case, then you can't do nothing.

But yeah, these are rumours, and while I'm inclined to believe a lot of it, we don't have the full story until the book's in our hands.

I reckon there'll be some kind of provision for continuity-8th edition, in the form of the End Times. I expect that isn't going away, especially if we're doing dimension-hopping now.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

May be they thought the existing player base was part of the problem? After all it is the existing players who tend to be pushing the "I absolutely will not play a game under 3000pts" which is one of the things keeping new people out due to the massive investment in time and money this needs. We know that GW has always viewed veterans at best as a 2 edged sword. They might have thought buggerit we've broken them lets get new. They've certainly done it before. Sure crusty old fanboys like me will stick around but the wavering ones will be swept away leaving a vacuum for new kids coming through without them being put off if by shall we say less helpful existing players. Add in some new trademark tight IP and they might be on to something?

First-Captain

May be they thought the existing player base was part of the problem? After all it is the existing players who tend to be pushing the "I absolutely will not play a game under 3000pts" which is one of the things keeping new people out due to the massive investment in time and money this needs. We know that GW has always viewed veterans at best as a 2 edged sword. They might have thought buggerit we've broken them lets get new. They've certainly done it before. Sure crusty old fanboys like me will stick around but the wavering ones will be swept away leaving a vacuum for new kids coming through without them being put off if by shall we say less helpful existing players. Add in some new trademark tight IP and they might be on to something?
    Possibly, veterans actually make pretty ****ty customers, they mostly have their army, very few will buy more regularly, a new army book and a unit or two every few years maybe. Hobbyists and kids are the markets you want, kids who are starting out will spend and spend, birthdays and Christmases, pocket money, all towards the hobby and hobbyists are morons who buy more stuff than they ever need.

There is literally no sense in the business catering to those with established armies.

After all it is the existing players who tend to be pushing the "I absolutely will not play a game under 3000pts" which is one of the things keeping new people out due to the massive investment in time and money this needs.
    Well, actually, it has a lot to do with GW nixing Skirmish and Warbands, and the balance of the game at lower levels gets very wonky without something like those rules sets in place. Players play the size of game that actually works in WFB. GW wanted large battles, they got that.

Page 91 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast