BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    I don't think making ork boys even more dependent on getting the charge off would bode well for orks overall. Overwatch all ready gave them a fat lip, not having the flexibility to take a charge with shoota boys and still pump out a respectable number of attacks would make it much more difficult to hold objectives in my estimation. What you end up with is an overall nerf for no particular reason, its not like your standard boy is overpowered. They die about as fast as guardsmen.

Want to make choppas more desirable? Give them an ap value. Probably something like ap5/4 on the charge. It's not going to make them all MEQ killers, but anything less than that is going to have a real bad day. Would probably warrant a points increase though. 7 point boys don't seem unreasonable, although more expensive infantry is not something GW seems keen on doing ever.

Khorne berserkers pay 3 points for chain axes, but that's on a WS5 power armored platform, and its always ap4. Making the ap4 dependent on the charge combined with the much lower survivability and accuracy of an ork would probably only warrant a 1 point cost.
    If those Choppas have an AP value, they better be a lot more than just a point! Some of use have to pay to get a +4, and it is not that cheap.

Why should a choppa have a better AP than a lasgun? There is simple no call for it.

Ork mobs go through IG like a hot knife already in CC, anything that boosts that should have a cost involved at least equal to a guardsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    If those Choppas have an AP value, they better be a lot more than just a point! Some of use have to pay to get a +4, and it is not that cheap.

Why should a choppa have a better AP than a lasgun? There is simple no call for it.

Ork mobs go through IG like a hot knife already in CC, anything that boosts that should have a cost involved at least equal to a guardsman.
    Well they wouldn't be a lot more than a point, at worst they'd be 3 points. Like... that's what chainaxes are, ap 4 melee weapons. The item all ready exists and has a precedent in terms of in game value, you can't really vary from that point substantially, especially on a lower quality platform like an ork boy.

Berserkers are a much sturdier and more accurate platform and they only pay 3 points per chainaxe. If you made them ap4 only on the charge and put them in the hands of a ws 4 ork with a 6+ armor save you'll never be able to justify anything higher than 3 points, and I doubt you'd ever see 3 at all, at worst 2 points per, and more than likely they'd be about 1 point, making your standard ork boy 7 points, which doesn't seem terribly unreasonable.

Then again I've heard rumbling that they're going to make all ork boys 6+ fnp, which I feel would warrant a 1 point increase by itself, so you could theoretically justify 8 point boys. That's if any of this stuff ever comes to fruition, which to be honest I don't see happening. I'm just trying to think of ways to make choppas and sluggas appealing in relationship to shootas, and like you said ork boys all ready mow through guardsmen and the like with no problems, so buffing them in a capacity in which they all ready excel at doesn't seem too unbalanced to me.

Just off the top of my head if you charge a ten strong guard unit with 10 boys, (and assuming the sergeant doesn't have a powerfist) you'll probably kill 1 or 2 boys before they get a chance to attack. The boys will then, conservatively, have 32 attacks (with choppas and no nob, 8 boys on the charge) Those 32 attacks will statistically wipe all 10 guardsmen with a few bodies to spare, even without an ap value. Even at 4+ with carapace armor, you're going to lose about 7 dudes and take a test at -5, which doesn't bode well for your infantrymen. The point being that if you let enough orks get into chopping range with your guardsmen you probably did something wrong all ready, and whether or not they have an ap value is irrelevant.

The things it would impact negatively would probably be stuff like eldar aspect warriors. Specifically howling banshees I guess, although at toughness 3 they weren't going to last long anyways if they didn't kill everything before it had a chance to hit back. Anything else with a 4+ armor save doesn't really belong in close combat or is probably a tyranid and has about 20 friends with a higher initiative than orks anyways.
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 03-17-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Personally, I'd just be happy with plastic meganobz and a new plastic weirdboy.

Veteran-Sergeant

The whirlybird sounds interesting. I'd like that.
    The Grot Boss I can see as a unit, maybe an upgrade to a Runtherda. Not an HQ.

Grot Boss that has subdued Ork boy (or Nob) to its control (maybe via lots of nasty shokks under hosts skin, or by lobotomizing (if you can do that to an ork) with the help of mad dok)

How fun (and awesome model / customizable) unit that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Personally, I'd just be happy with plastic meganobz and a new plastic weirdboy.
    Slap a warlord traits chart on that and I'm good.

I would like to see the return of 'Minderz' for the Weirboy and units of 'Madboyz'. The 'Gobsmasha' may be included as well

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm intrigued by the Weirdboy rumours flying around. Also; bring back Nazdreg.

well theres rules out now for grot tanks, so maybe they will have more of a say, Orks once had BS3 so maybe they need a bit of grot in there life now.
    Lets face it if it makes money GW likes it

yep £15 a meganob is rude, Kromlech do some nice models but they are a little to good, makes your other mega nobs look a bit sad
    Last edited by Rough Touch; 10-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast