BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

This is the Roman Catholic Church we're talking about.

Its ancient and conservative by its nature. They do everything in babysteps. Still I consider this to be a big step in the right direction for them. It could have been much worse.

Read here: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Bergoglio[/url]

A few points:
    -He was made Cardinal by John Paul II, not Ratzinger.

-
    "As cardinal, Bergoglio became known for personal humility, doctrinal conservatism and a commitment to social justice. A simple lifestyle contributed to his reputation for humility. He lived in a small apartment, rather than in the palatial bishop's residence. He gave up his chauffeured limousine in favor of public transportation, and he reportedly cooked his own meals."
    -
    "He supports the use of contraception to prevent the spread of disease."
    -
    "In 2009, Bergolio said that extreme poverty and the "unjust economic structures that give rise to great inequalities" are violations of human rights and that social debt is "immoral, unjust and illegitimate." During a 48-hour public servant strike in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Bergoglio observed the differences between, "poor people who are persecuted for demanding work, and rich people who are applauded for fleeing from justice"
    This could be an interesting Papacy...
    Last edited by Bigred; 03-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Starting to like the guy....we'll just have to see how he works the system
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Iron Father

As long as he doesn't continue the trend of covering up the kiddie fiddlers within the church and makes moves to allow the priests to marry it could be good for the Catholic Church. Can't see either happening to be honest.
    The conservatism within the church and its inability to evolve and move with the times will continue to see congregations shrink with each generation.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    My Catholic friend says that he stresses a serious "love the sinner hate the sin" policy towards homosexuals, which isn't everything, but it is a step up. It's not far from "love the sinner hate the sin" to "love the sinner so much you stop thinking about the sin and just let it freaking go already."

Well, at least not as far as it is from "God hates f@gs."
    To be honest, I think it's high time the world remembered it's entirely possible to disapprove of something without telling everyone you disapprove of it.

If we each held our peace, the world would be a better place. Though the interwebs might die
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

I was surprised that the Church of Rome elected so quickly; of course this does nothing on my boycott of all things Argentine..
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    The conservatism within the church and its inability to evolve and move with the times will continue to see congregations shrink with each generation.
    I'm not Catholic, but I don't know that it's fair to say that congregations have been "shrinking with each generation." Or rather, I guess it is, but that wording makes it sound like the church is disappearing. But over the past hundred years, the percentage of the world's population that is Catholic [url=http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Catholic/The-Global-Catholic-Population.aspx#pop]has only shrunk[/url] by 1%. So ... I guess technically they're declining? But an average drop of 0.01% every year doesn't exactly put me in mind of some kind of imminent crisis.

Iron Father

[url]http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/pope-benedict-and-the-decline-of-american-catholicism-20130211[/url]

Maybe not worldwide, but in the States.

Approximately one-third of those who say they were raised Catholic no longer describe themselves as Catholic; which means that roughly 10% of all Americans are former Catholics. Other surveys — such as the General Social Surveys, conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago since 1972 — find that the Catholic share of the U.S. adult population has held fairly steady in recent decades, at around 25%. What this apparent stability obscures, however, is the large number of people who have left the Catholic Church. Losses have been partly offset by the number of people who have changed their affiliation to Catholicism but more importantly by the disproportionately high number of Catholics among immigrants to the U.S.

Which ever way I look at it, The Catholic Church is going to have to modernise to appeal to a younger congregation. As an atheist I personally don't have much interest either way. But then a debate about beliefs and deities is another topic
    Last edited by Deadlift; 03-13-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

The number of Catholics in Europe is increasing,

Never thought I'd see a 'xxxxxxx I' pope. I was half expecting John XXX or whatever they are up to now.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I was in KFC eating "chicken"... #swag
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The number of Catholics in Europe is increasing,

Never thought I'd see a 'xxxxxxx I' pope. I was half expecting John XXX or whatever they are up to now.
    Of course I doubt that we will live to see Pope Barry I.

Ah well, Francis Solus Unus Tam Longe is what it will be for now instead.
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 03-13-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast