BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Worst WAAC / Competitive Ness

So reading the comments on another troll inducing BBF supreme cheese spam Waac post on the front page made me think

What is the worst WAAC or least friendly competitve ness you've ever encountered?

Not just "this guy spammed screamers" or "these allies make no sense" but anything else you can think of

Mine comes from 5th ed.

Went to a comp. 5 guys from the same club turned up with 5 identical Necron lists. When they got to the top table and faced each other, they refused to advance on each other. They knew that given ranges and deployment, the first person to move forward would be out of range. But if they moved forward they would be in range of their opponent in the enemy turn.

So they deployed everything and sat still,. Didn't move a model for 7 turns. Declared it a draw and finished their round in less than 15 minutes, and waited 2 hours for everyone else.

The 5 guys came 1st, 2nd, 3rd 5th and 7th overall.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

To me the worst Competitive thing I've ever see is Intentional Draw in a "friendly" local tournament, ID comes, as far as I can see, from the M:tG world, where 2 oppunents, rather than play each other and give away their stratergies and stuff, will agree to draw, for a point each, in certain circumstances, this can be beneficial. Anyway, 2 players were arranging their match for the week and realised that if they drew, then they'd both advance to the next round, rather than play the game at all, they intentionally drew the game, meaning they both advanced, when really, its most likely one of them would have lost (this was 6th) and wouldn't have gone through, allowing another player, who;d played all thier matches, to get to the finals.

This seems so utterly against the spirit of the game that it boggles the mind!

Yep those are the type of people as the tourney organizer I would award 0 pts and not invite them back.

Went to a comp. 5 guys from the same club turned up with 5 identical Necron lists. When they got to the top table and faced each other, they refused to advance on each other. They knew that given ranges and deployment, the first person to move forward would be out of range. But if they moved forward they would be in range of their opponent in the enemy turn.

So they deployed everything and sat still,. Didn't move a model for 7 turns. Declared it a draw and finished their round in less than 15 minutes, and waited 2 hours for everyone else.
    Sounds like UFC 5, Gracie vs. Shamrock. Both men had beaten each other once, and so for the deciding match, neither wanted to make a move. The fight was basically five minutes of two rage-filled hate sacks hugging each other. Literally nothing happened. The crowd weren't pleased.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    Yep those are the type of people as the tourney organizer I would award 0 pts and not invite them back.
    Yep. When your desire to win drives you to not actually play the bloody game, you're taking it all too seriously.

For me? Team Tactics in team events. Want me to play for a draw, so you get a softer opponent and a more likely win? Suck 'em, they're here all night. Not particularly competitive minded in my hobby, but once I'm deployed, I'm aiming to win the game, and anyone expecting me to throw it for their benefit is going to be disappointed!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I would say mine, but the good Doctor all ready said it. Wasn't exactly a pleasant atmosphere in that room at the end of the day. At the time, there wasn't a model for the Triarch Stalker, so there were several models being used. Despite being a walker, most of the models used were smaller than a Dreadnought, one guy even had his models on 40mm bases despite the fact they would have fitted on 25mm bases. Of course, now we know how big a Triarch Stalker really is...
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Librarian

We had a WAAC player who didn't hide the fact that he looked to exploit holes in the rules. He was also a bit of a bully and most players just backed down rather than escalate the arguing (cause most of us were mature!).

Our store had a Spearhead tourney with no Super Heavies allowed. Well he showed up with a shadowsword and complained so much that they allowed it.
    A lot of new players showed up for the event. This guy didn't have the rules for the Shadowsword and talked his opponents into a 'no terrain' table!
    I wasn't going to attend, but the TO called me up and invited me to show up with my Cobra II tank to take him down.

I did just that! I put a mountain the center of the table, his Shadow sword got 1 shot off (that missed) and he didn't score a single Kill Point on me!
    He was also playing Vendetta's with as having Fire Points, until I pointed out they didn't have them!

My next 2 opponents forfieted just so I would win!

Unfortunately, the WAAC player went and bit#$ed to the store manager and bullied him into giving him a new GW box (which is what 1st place was).
    Fortunately he doesn't come around anymore...though he tells people it's because no one could beat him and he was bored. HA!

Occuli Imperator

A friend of mine does the two classics "pick up the hits" and the measure from the front to back.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I have ID-ed in an MtG tournament before. The reality is that when you've won 2-0 twice and check the scores it's in both of your interests to ID and then make the top-8 rather than risk not getting in, if you win you'll be in the top 8 but with arguably an easier opponent for the 1st round, but that doesn't out-weigh not being in the top 8.
    Also keep in mind that MtG is hyper competitive at that level and there is no such thing as sportsmanship really. You can be DQed for 'unsportsmanlike conduct' but that's basically cheating or being a total male chicken
    FFS even OTHER players (as in those not in your actual game) are out to get you.
    Example; playing a legacy qualifier, played against my 2nd dredge deck (basically its slow boring and tedious to play against, you usually auto-loose the first round and have to sideboard in while they counter side board you with their own which you've sideboarded to counter but *head asplodes*) Anyway for this format the order of the discard pile is argueably important since theres a few rarely used but legal cards which effect the top-most or bottom-most card in the graveyard. So add keeping everything in order while the dredge player is picking through his graveyard to do his thing and it gets slighlty more tedious.
    Thankfully my opponent was nice, here for a laugh not too serious like myself, so he asks if it matters to me if order is important, I say no as I don't have anything that cares about order (not exactly a big secret) and our games went diligently and were decent. Until wandering tosspot appears starts nerdraging about the order. To which I reply - we've talked about it, I'm ok with it, he's ok with it and can WE play OUR game please?'

The question is WHY? The more competitive events of MtG (and sometimes 40k) that I see the more I pity the human condition.

And yet for all the tragic the gathering, go to a pre-release and its totally laid back in my experience. Everyones playing with new cards and it's not the be all and end all.

TLDR; mtg players can be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    A friend of mine does the two classics "pick up the hits" and the measure from the front to back.
    Front to back is inexcusable - the rule book specifically says not to do it.

Pick up the hits is understandable as that's what it says to do, however it is more sensible that you pick out misses so that any errors are in your opponents favour.

Also your post count is 6,666 which is cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast