BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default GW to reenter the bits market?

So GW are advertising for a component parts warehouse manager, plus the ban on bits selling suggest GW may be planning to roll out the bits department again.

On a side note it seems this GW v chapterhouse legal suite has made GW up their game and production schedule, as they are also advertising for rules writers for both mainstream and forge world...

Brother-Sergeant

Hey, if they restarted a bitz service, I'd be happy.
    The other thing that would make me happy? Demon Prince upgrade packs that lets you "theme" the prince towards one deity or another.

It's possible, at a Games Day or in an interview years ago Jervis Johnson (I think) said they really wanted to offer a bits service if they could find a viable (as in not costing them ridiculous amount of money like the old one) way of doing it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I would like it if they did, would be great to have a reliable bits service. On the other hand I am not sure they will, scrapping the old bits system basically funded Apocalypse and the big kits.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Occuli Imperator

I think that part of the problem is that items are produced "on sprue" rather than being individually spun cast (like they did historically) so in order to offer things like "Boltgun with Scope and Strap #3" they would need to employ someone to cut them from the sprues specifically and then you have the issue of how do you dispose of the rest of the sprue.
    Many of use hobbyists have our bitz boxes and they tend to have some level of organisation, but I am unaware of anyone who splits their items down and stores them component wise and that is the level of order that would be needed. Thinking of the time and space that is required to remove the bitz, store the bitz and then deliever tehm, it is not cost effective from a business stance. Though there is a market for it otherwise places like the various bitz stores wouldn't exist.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I'd always assumed it was the move towards more on sprue plastic kits that had killed the bitz service...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Yeah I can't see them providing a bits service from anything on sprue, because it's too wasteful and time consuming and they'd want us to buy the whole sprue (or box, more likely).

What I suspect this will be is for the expanding accessory range packs (like lighting claws and shoulder pads) that 3rd party companies have been making for a while, rather than sprue-splitting.

They've also upped the game by largely removing the need for common bitz. Most plastic kits come with the majority, if not all upgrades available to the unit.

There are of course exceptions, and the older the kit the more it needs bitz. But the modern stuff, off the top of my head, it's all there!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Bitz aren't about necessity, they're about The rule of cool

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    They've also upped the game by largely removing the need for common bitz. Most plastic kits come with the majority, if not all upgrades available to the unit.

There are of course exceptions, and the older the kit the more it needs bitz. But the modern stuff, off the top of my head, it's all there!
    Yes, I remember the first kits I brought, the standard tactical squad box, all snap fit with enough to make 1 sarge with chainsword and bolt pistol, 7xbolters in identical pose, 1 missile launcher and 1 flamer and yet the options were available for all (if not more) than what we have now. Want a melta gun? Well that £4 as you buy a lead marine with molded meltagun, same with any heavy weapons.

Now we can get most options, but to my anger not all, we are almost there
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast