BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Good Old Nurgle

Default Good Old Nurgle

I was working on my custom Scabiethrax, figuring I'll try out Epidemius again, and remembered the shortlived time of awesomeness when 6th edition just came out but we still had the old Chaos Marines and Daemons Codices, which could now be Allies, Battle Brothers in fact.

Remember when the Tally of Pestilence worked for ALL models with the Mark of Nurgle or Daemons of Nurgle, and without a range limit? Remember when Nurgle Daemon Princes could be flying with the old school Breath of Chaos, jacking up the Tally on the first turn to probably 8 or 10 wounds in the blink of an eye? Plague Marines and Plaguebearers alike would have FNP on a 3+ very shortly

Alas, that short golden age of Nurgle is gone, so what do we do with our rotlings now? Is Epidemius worth it at all? Are flying Nurgle Princes worth it, be they psyker or with The Black Mace? Is an all Nurgle army still decent and competitive?

I would like to say yes, but perhaps not in the same make up as before. I think it would require Obliterators, perhaps a Mastery 3 Biker Psyker, and what else can anyone think of to make a potent Nurgle army list? Are Allies required, or are Daemons superior, or are Chaos Marines superior minions of the Plaguefather?

I think you could do worse than having a hard core of plagued marines (either cult or vanilla flavor) supported by some larger units of cheaper plaguebearers. Obliterators are probably mandatory, but they're awesome and can be made very nurgly with little effort. Plaguemarines are pretty amaze-balls and toughness 5 chaos marines don't play around. Nurgle's lore in CSM is probably the best of the bunch so I wouldn't feel bad taking a biker psycher and some plague-bros to run around being toughness 6 zombie-jerks.

oh and great unclean ones with biomancy are the lulz.

Librarian

I would argue that there are all new pros and cons to each i would say that you can play each seperatly if you wish but if your going to do what i am then taking both is still a viable list. while yes daemons have gone down quite a bit they have gained alot more then they lost imo. if you look at plague bearers they got alot better and depending on which you take as your primary a unit of 20 plague bearers will be a hard target to shift. daemons princes are still very good at what they do and you always have the option of taking allies to suppliment any forseer or developing weaknesses that you find in your list. i find that my lists tend to revolve around a strong core and from there is just plug and play as things progress.

Question: In C:CSM for the Plague Marines, is it generally accepted that they are final T:5, with the mark included in their profile, or are they T:6, with profile + mark? I can't find proof one way or another, and I have a guy arguing for T:6 after having played with others under the other interpretation previously.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhat View Post
    Question: In C:CSM for the Plague Marines, is it generally accepted that they are final T:5, with the mark included in their profile, or are they T:6, with profile + mark? I can't find proof one way or another, and I have a guy arguing for T:6 after having played with others under the other interpretation previously.
    If a mark is listed in the wargear it is already included in the profile.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    If a mark is listed in the wargear it is already included in the profile.
    This is correct, and if you need a page number to point it out.... Page 30 in Codex: Chaos Space Marines! Under "Marks of Chaos" in the paragraph before it starts listing effects of specific marks.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    I was working on my custom Scabiethrax, figuring I'll try out Epidemius again, and remembered the shortlived time of awesomeness when 6th edition just came out but we still had the old Chaos Marines and Daemons Codices, which could now be Allies, Battle Brothers in fact.

Remember when the Tally of Pestilence worked for ALL models with the Mark of Nurgle or Daemons of Nurgle, and without a range limit? Remember when Nurgle Daemon Princes could be flying with the old school Breath of Chaos, jacking up the Tally on the first turn to probably 8 or 10 wounds in the blink of an eye? Plague Marines and Plaguebearers alike would have FNP on a 3+ very shortly

Alas, that short golden age of Nurgle is gone, so what do we do with our rotlings now? Is Epidemius worth it at all? Are flying Nurgle Princes worth it, be they psyker or with The Black Mace? Is an all Nurgle army still decent and competitive?

I would like to say yes, but perhaps not in the same make up as before. I think it would require Obliterators, perhaps a Mastery 3 Biker Psyker, and what else can anyone think of to make a potent Nurgle army list? Are Allies required, or are Daemons superior, or are Chaos Marines superior minions of the Plaguefather?

I thought about a mono nurge aliance which is still rather strong. However if you are running the tallyman it makes more sense to run a Daemon Nurgle army since the Marine portion does not gain benefits nor add to the tally.

For strarters your prince and heralds still have breath of chaos. The differance is it no longer auto glance, ap 3, and now a psychic power. Also you now have a 12" pie plate you can get with a 33% chance which is ap 2.

The talyman buffs is stil really strong and not hard to tally up. Especialy if you dropping 9 pie plates/ breath attacks a turn. Having acess to biomancy is also a silly bonus and your heralds can easily get FNP. With 4 nurgle herald and 3 princes you should easily get endurance about 2-3 times.

The problem I see with mono nurgle is that out of the 4 elements it's the hardest to fit evrything that is viable.

Plague Drones for example are really good, Beast of Nurgle is really strong, Nurgle Princes are great, Nurgle Heralds are awesome, Great old clean one is the bomb.

The porblem with all the above it is hard to fit it all in an army.

Than you still have to add the ok troops and decide to add a grinder or two.

With the new Daemons I wouldn't add allies since they really don't bring anything to the table. Maybe Oblits, but that's is. Plague zombies are half the cost of plaguebearers and no where near as good. A herald with plague bearers is way better than the zombies. Typhus doesn't add to anything. What's worst they don't contribute to the tally annymore, so you need more daemons to do so.

Librarian

Would probably avoid epi. as i am in the same boat as you i understand. going against chipo a bit i've been building my nurgle daemons as a small allied force to add bodies to the list cheaply. The nurgle grinder adding much needed AA and as i've yet to completed my giant fly darke i will be running with bligh drones instead Nurgle oblits yes anything that can have access to nurgle markings strangely becomes alot of fun

I love the crap out of grandpappy nurgle but pure nurgle is kind of out the window but not that far.

I have had a lot of success with two GUOs 3 princes and fill with troops. Get two exalted rewards for portaglyph on an objective and grimoire on the other. Make the grimoire the warlord. Both are lv3psykers. Prince psykers are way too expensive and still don't last much longer with biomancy. Just get greater gifts. TAKE THE INSTANT DEATH SWORDS OF NURGLE OMG AP2. Fill in the list after MCs with bearers or daemonettes. I use nettes because papa nurgle is still the god of love and loves him some scantily clad babes.

First-Captain

I seen mono nurgle do really really well. The issue is you have to deal with a lot of templates and enfeeble on top of evertything else. I find 9 plague drones and 6 beast of nurgle really a pain to deal with.