BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Best codex for aligning prefereed army builds with the background

What do you folk think are the best codex's for aligning the preferred/typical army builds seen on the table with the army's background?

For example the ork background suggests most armies are made up of lots of boyz and sure enough, most ork armies appear on the table that way. Similarly space wolves background suggest heroic characters and tactical marines and that's what most armies look like on the table.

By comparison, armies built using codex chaos space marines often appear on the table to be all about cultists and robot monsters with relatively few space marines in tactical armour to be seen.

Opinions? So which do you think lead to armies best suggested by the background?
    Last edited by mysterex; 03-23-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Iron Father

Necrons can be

I like to play with lots of different lists, but my favourite has always been "the silver tide" Lots and lots of warriors backed up by a couple Monoliths with some scarabs up front, slowly march across the board mowing down everything with gauss and a couple of res orb Overlords to help those casualties get back up again.

Its not the most competitive way for Necrons to play but I think it looks cool when you plonk down 80 plus warriors on the board.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by mysterex View Post
    What do you folk think are the best codex's for aligning the preferred/typical army builds seen on the table with the army's background?

For example the ork background suggests most armies are made up of lots of boyz and sure enough, most ork armies appear on the table that way. Similarly space wolves background suggest heroic characters and tactical marines and that's what most armies look like on the table.

By comparison, armies built using codex chaos space marines often appear on the table to be all about cultists and robot monsters with relatively few space marines in tactical armour to be seen.

Opinions? So which do you think lead to armies best suggested by the background?
    To be fair, that Chaos Space Marine army actually does make sense from a fluff stand-point if you consider that it could be Traitor Guard or a human uprising led by a few Chaos Marines - ala Alpha Legion - or agents of the Dark Mechanicum, thus the metal monsters.

A Tyranid army tends to be a mash of hordes and monsters, which is currently the competitive standard for Tyranids on the table-top. A handful of Tervigons supported by Hive Tyrants and the like mixed with hordes of Termagants is 'fluffy' in terms of the current codex.
    Sisters of Battle armies commonly take a lot of flame-based weaponry.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

Did you mean to put this in the general discussion forum? Because it's neither news nor a rumour...
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Did you mean to put this in the general discussion forum? Because it's neither news nor a rumour...
    Yup, sorry. Mods feel free to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Sisters of Battle armies commonly take a lot of flame-based weaponry.
    It's not like they really have any other options.

SoB ranged weapons:

Bolt pistol, bolter, storm bolter, heavy bolter
    Hand flamer, flamer, heavy flamer
    Inferno pistol, meltagun, multi-melta
    Plasma pistol
    Combi-melta, -flamer, -plasma or -stake crossbow
    Hunter-killer missiles, Exorcist missile launcher

So, yeah. You're gonna see a lot of flamers and meltas... because that's almost all there is.

I am trying to think of an army that DOESN'T play to their background, and I'm not seeing a lot. For most armies, you can justify it in some way or another. The only real big perpetrator that comes to mind is Inquisitorial Henchmen and Grey Knights in the same fight. First of all, Inquisitors are only very rarely known to do any kind of warlike crusades with their retinues. They would simply employ the local Imperial Guard regiments, and use them for larger scale conflicts. Also, having a force that includes Grey Knights with any non Grey Knight person would go against fluff, as they only appear to fight daemons, and do not care for others in the fight, as they kill all non-Grey Knights after the fight, even if it is the Inquisitor's henchmen in some cases.

I will say this about Chaos Marines: I believe the only legion that should have access to some of those monstrous metal creatures are the Iron Warriors, and the same for Cultists and certain legions.