BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default GW store opening in San Diego...how will this effect LGS?

I have often wondered why a city as large as San Diego never had a GW store. Not that we needed one. But alas GW is staking their claim in April.
    We have 6 LGS spread out over 20 miles that have gaming rooms/tables for 40k (and other games). 4 of them have a dedicated weekly 40k night/league.
    Even with the GW store opening just a few miles from a LGS I don't think they will effect our stores much at all. If anything they will help!

We are a Military town. 3+ Navy bases and 3 Marine Corps bases (including 1 of the 2 boot camps). Every game store offers a 10% military discount. I doubt the GW store will.
    I think the GW store will introduce young people to the hobby, and they will then migrate to the other stores to play.

But this is all just my speculation.
    What experience/observations do you have when a GW store opens near other Local Game Shops?

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I have often wondered why a city as large as San Diego never had a GW store. Not that we needed one. But alas GW is staking their claim in April.
    It never had one because Games Workshop has been flailing around it policy and long term plan. The recent departure/change of the CEO and what is clearly a very different direction with the new guard, has revealed a new plan and direction.

We have 6 LGS spread out over 20 miles that have gaming rooms/tables for 40k (and other games). 4 of them have a dedicated weekly 40k night/league.
    It is their intention to take ALL of that business. Games Workshop tracks which stores buy how much product. They are opening their store there because if the town is big enough to support all those LGS, they believe that once those LGS no longer can get Games Workshop product, their customers will default to them.

And for those who can't see the writing on the wall and think I'm paranoid, let me point something out. A city that can support 6+ LGS (four of which have weekly leagues) don't need ANY help growing the hobby. They don't need help recruitment. If the point of a Games Workshop store was to recruit and increase the hobby, it would not need to go up anywhere near San Diego. Games Workshop is in the first stages of making a move. They are losing on several legal fronts. They cannot control their product once they sell it to merchants. Thus, instead of going the route which would be sane, they are trying to corner the market on their own product. They are closing stores in areas that need them (where the hobby need recruitment and help) and opening and maintaining them only in those cities which are flush and where everyone has ample access to product. They opened one in San Antonio not that log ago, a city that like San Diego has no need of it whatsoever.

The only reason to make the changes and calculated openings and closings we are seeing is because they intend, in the not too distant future, to cut off American LGS from all product. The intend to be the ONLY vendor.

Even with the GW store opening just a few miles from a LGS I don't think they will effect our stores much at all. If anything they will help!
    They won't hurt that LGS. It won't help it either. This will remain true until your local LGS suddenly has no Games Workshop product to sell. The model in Europe does not rely on Games Workshop stores to provide most of the gaming space (as the LGS do in America). That is the problem they are facing, i.e. competition with an LGS here is something they will always lose until they provide the same options or something the LGS can't. They have opted, instead of providing more, to eventually supply the product alone. Of course, most LGS will no longer support Games Workshop gaming at that point. Would you allow people to come use yoru gaming tables for Warhammer when you can't carry the product? This is part of the reason I think this whole approach is deluded. American gamers will just switch games and continue to play at the LGS they love.

We are a Military town. 3+ Navy bases and 3 Marine Corps bases (including 1 of the 2 boot camps). Every game store offers a 10% military discount. I doubt the GW store will. I think the GW store will introduce young people to the hobby, and they will then migrate to the other stores to play.
    I don't agree with the notion that Games Workshop stores bring real new blood to our hobby because by in large the hobby is an adult thing. I don't think they will ever change that here. I agree with you that you won't get a discount.

Librarian

I just checked the store's facebook page and they did state 'no discounts'.

Is there really a plan by GW to not sell to brick an morter LGS?
    For those that have GW stores...Do they allow in store gaming? I seem to have read that as they see the gaming as advertisement for their games, that only people with nicely painted armies can play, etc.

Veteran-Sergeant

For those that have GW stores...Do they allow in store gaming? I seem to have read that as they see the gaming as advertisement for their games, that only people with nicely painted armies can play, etc.
    The GW store local to me is one of closet sized one man stores so they only have 2 tables. In store gaming is allowed and the manager is cool with painted/unapinted/3rd party parts. However, being so incredibly cramped for space detracts from the gaming experience.

That is for you to decide. I am giving my "opinion" on the matter based on the evidence at hand. I believe there is a several phase plan to do exactly that. You are free to think I'm nuts, take my opinion with a grain of salt, and/or do as I suggest. Consider all the recent activities and changes logically and apply them in a way which follows the Games Workshop paradigm of the past. See what conclusions you come up with.

Wait, who offers discounts? I've been in san diego for 3 years and this is the first I'm hearing of this. As far as the original topic, I hope the customers stay loyal to the LGS, and don't jump ship. They do a lot more for the community and I know I would rather help a small business keep the lights on.

Occuli Imperator

It will be interesting to see what this sort of store will be like.
    Will it continue to follow the trend of the comparatively small store, more focused on the sell rather than the hobby, or will this reveal a new direction for american stores?

I hope that it is the latter as what Caitsidhe has said in the past has really shown GW to have "missed the mark" by cloning EU stores in the Americas. Now, the reason why I hope it is a success is so that it can serve the hobby community well, though it sounds like there are plenty of LGS which would offer stiff competition (in terms of community and price).
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

What kind of return do they need though to make them profitable enough, when you consider how small some of towns in the UK are that support a GW, why can't the considerably larger cities in the US?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I'd imagine any of the FLGS which might be poorly run may suffer. But seeing as GW don't offer discounts in store, and the FLGS already have an established customer base, those well run and well thought of will be absolutely dandy.

I reckon we might see GW running their own stores in the US purely as recruitment centres. Sole product on their shelves being their own, and able to infect people with a decent staffers enthusiasm for the setting (models aside, the setting sells all! Look at the HH series etc). Take a spod, turn him in a Gamer, and specifically, a GW gamer. Then let him wander into the FLGS. Doesn't matter if he buys there, GW store has already recruited replacements. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Wow there is some paranoia running wild in this thread, Caitsidhe, you might need to drink less coffee or something.

As for GW moving to an area with a lot of FLGS, well, as you think, GW is great at getting younger people into the hobby, FLGS aren't, they're generally not that F and can be rather intimidating for younger people and those inexperinced in the hobby, they do however have thier uses, they generally have more gaming space and have new games and models for you to try out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast