BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Change a Codex yourself.

If you were a codex writer, which codex would you write and why? What rules in that codex would you change, what background would you advance or deserves to be purged?

All answers to be posted beneath this one, thank you.

Chapter-Master

Mods: Please rename this thread "The Giant Wishlisting Thread"
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Smart Arsed Comment
    If you have nothing to say on topic, please amuse yourself elsewhere.
    Last edited by Renegade; 03-25-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Chapter-Master

I would want to write Tyranids; as much as I think I would want to go through every codex and "fix them up" according to what I personally think needs to be changed, the Tyranids need it most.

Firstly, I would drop the points cost of almost every unit in the codex, barring a few - such as Hive Guard and Zoanthropes. I would increase the points cost of the Doom of Malan'tai by a bit, or change its rules a bit so that it isn't so 'what the!?' powerful. I would change the silly costing of upgrades between units - i.e. Regeneration costing as much on a Carnifex as it does on a Trygon - and in general drop their points cost. I would swap Tyranid Warriors and Shrikes to Strength and Toughness five with two wounds each, as at the moment there are too many high rate-of-fire (or at least common) Strength eight weapons that ruin their day. I would increase the cost of some Tervigon upgrades, or at least change them around a bit - i.e. Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands - as at the moment the Tervigon is simply way too good a unit. I would give Genestealers a +4 armour save, maybe a better Toughness, and improve their combat profile - they are not supposed to be a horde unit. In fact, I would get rid of Ymgarls altogether (maybe) or at least give regular Genestealers similar reserve rules, something that means they don't die automatically when they pop up. The Tyrannofex needs a laughable points decrease, that and the pricing of its weapons is ludicrous. Make the Rupture Cannon worthwhile by either giving it more shots or at least making it twin-linked. Failing that, give us long-ranged anti-tank that is reliable and can be taken in greater numbers than a Tyrannofex - perhaps a dual-kit with the Biovore?

Fix the Synapse rules so that falling out of it doesn't give insane close combat buffs to our monstrous creatures (Rage). Either neuter Shadow in the Warp to keep the psyker defences in line with other newer codices (I expect Space Wolves and Eldar to get similar treatment), or keep it the same as an army-trait. Allow the Tyranid Prime to take wings. Fix the Harpy so that it can be used as an anti-air unit and it won't die the second a Hydra appears. Give us another flying monstrous creature as well - perhaps in Elites or Heavy Support - or at least give units such as Gargoyles or even Spore Mines rules to engage fliers and the like. Fix Lictors so that their reserve bonuses apply the turn they arrive, that they are much harder to kill (perhaps like Warriors, make them Toughness five with two wounds), they can charge out of reserves, or at least improve their armour save. Make them a bit nastier in combat and shooting, and cut their price massively. Make Pyrovores' template weapons Torrent, drop their price, make them tougher, drop the power weapon attacks altogether, give them different 'ammunition' to engage different targets, and maybe give them an anti-air role. They need a complete make-over. Make everything about our Hive Tyrants cheaper, and give them an option to be Mastery Level two. Fix Old One Eye and Carnifexes by improving their stats - Initiative three base, Weapon Skill four, etc - and dropping their cost significantly, as well as fixing the silly pricing on their upgrades; also, make Bio Plasma 24". Give Raveners a +4 armour save, but in general they only really need a price drop given that they are so quick and hard hitting. Fix the Gargoyle pricing compared to Hormagaunts and Termagants - they are way too good compared to those two units right now. Failing that, make Hormagaunts and Termagants cheaper; Termagants four points per model, Hormagaunts five points per model, and make the upgrades for both (Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands) one point each.

So much more to say. Oh, right, make the Parasite Toughness five, and make the Mawloc's attack ignore cover saves. Give the units that need it (Hive Tyrants) either a basic invulnerable save (for example, +5) or the option to take one. Failing that, make them full-on Independent Characters. Trygons/Carnifexes/Tervigons/etc don't need it. Give the Swarmlord a (+5 in general, +4 in combat) invulnerable save.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

A nice start, though wouldn't a fix for the Pirovore be to give it Piromancy and a torrent breath weapon?

Anybody else?

Personally i would go for Codex: Grey Knights.

Fluff / story advancement
    To advance and/or alter the storylines, there are lots of other codexes and fluff in general to be advanced as well for it to work, and because of that, ill just give a shallow glimpse what i would do:
    - Bring Draigo back to the realspace for good. Not sure if the deeds should be banished or just forwarded.
    - I would open up the terminus degree a bit more, as well as other secrets that lay in the core of Titan.
    - I would expand the fluff to reflect usage of grey knight specific psy weaponry, mainly on the vehicles (and probably unique to GK vehicles).
    - I would try to create 1 or 2 new unique gk weapons as well, or alter the usage of old ones, probably in the way of different firing modes.
    - I would ditch the inquisitor and henchmen stuff, because grey knights are subfaction under the inquisition and not the other way around. This is also why some new functional weaponry would be needed.

- I would expand the deeds and effects of the first GK founding, and its original members. Garro series with legion of one etc is the type of focus i mean here.

Force organization and unit re-arrangements
    - I would most definately put in the Prognosticar Hyperion "The Swordbreaker" -named HQ. I would also bring in 1 or 2 more named HQs because of taking 3 named inquisitors away.

- I would give GK Captain mini-grand strategy and the possibility to take artificer armor instead of terminator armor.
    - I would give Brotherhood Champion the possibility to take personal teleporter.
    - Given how unique GK armor and weaponry is, i would try to do something to make their vehicles stand out as such as well. Perhaps a unique landraider, or a new rhino with some twist.

Rules
    I wont go into point costs, because that is something you would have to know each codex well and the intended powerlevel and strenghts and weaknesses of each. But some general adjustments:

- I would make the stormbolter usable as pistol in cc, but only with sword. That way it would really be a choice among the other ccws.
    - Falchions i would alter to re-roll hits most likely, probably on a first round of combat. In addition of giving +1A (but not as a special rule, but as 2ccws, just to put it make sense)
    - I would alter Venerable Dreadnoughts "Venerable" rule, perhaps give it ignore damage (hullpoint) on a roll of 4+ or 5+ (functionality important, amount of roll required just a matter of balance)
    - I would alter psilencer to be determined against models leadership value. And maybe even put the str of the shot to be the firing models LD. Also, make it affect all daemon vehicles with daemonic possession, or daemon usr on a fixed number. Perhaps 3+ on a AV10, 4+ on AV11, 5+ on AV12, 6+ on AV13/AV14 (again, functionality important, rest is balance adjustments)
    - I would alter psybolt ammunition to have more than 1 possible buff, perhaps either +str or rending. The amount of increased strenght or the ease of at which the shot rends would be comparable to the amount of warp charges spent. So a lvl 2 psyker could boost his shooting strenght by 2, or rend at 5+ if he was to spend his both warp charges. I would probably not put it on a psychic test, but rather more like it is now, automatic, with the following exception: If used more than 1 warpcharge, then the shots would become "Gets hot"-shots
    - I would change the heavy psycannon to have two firemodes one with large blast and one with multiple shots. This way the heavy psycannon could be put into more widespread use, for example to the unique landraider -variant sponsons.
    - I would put Master Swordsman rule to affect all characters, not just independent ones.

- Lastly i would make (probably in cooperation with FW), Grey Knights a self sustaining Apocalypse force. I would like to see a sub-sized warhound -powerlevel titan just for the GK.

I too would go with Tyranids.

Biggest thing? Alter their FoC to reflect the old Epic tile system.

The bigger the Synapse creature, the bigger the gribblies it can bring with it, and the more broods it can control. The smaller the synapse creature, the less comes with it.

For instance, using the original hexagons from Epic (Nid specific, for anyone extra confused!) you of course have six sides. Tyranid Warriors, as a brood, could have two attachment points, thus can be 'accompanied' by two other Broods, or a pair of big gribblers, or any mix thereof. Whereas a Hive Tyrant for instance, could have 6 attachment points, allowing you to really deploy large amounts of nasties. Really need to make some tiles up to demonstrate (don't hold your breath) but I reckon it would suit Tyranids down to the ground
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    If you have nothing to say on topic, please amuse yourself elsewhere.
    Yet Everything posted since my remark has been nothing but worthless wishlisting that can be found in any number of different places.

Hell if you want to experiment with 40k codex wishlisting, then go hangout with Stelek who is, from what I'm told, the 40k's version of Rebecca Black.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Dude. Guy's initial comment remains.

Don't want to contribute? Sod off. Leave it to those who do to discuss their ideas. This is not your personal forum. Or indeed anyone's. Except the owner. That is a given.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Yet Everything posted since my remark has been nothing but worthless wishlisting that can be found in any number of different places.

Hell if you want to experiment with 40k codex wishlisting, then go hangout with Stelek who is, from what I'm told, the 40k's version of Rebecca Black.
    Mate, now your just trolling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Has GW ever done a rules for creating random dangerous creatures or plants?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast