BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Game of Thrones: Season 3

Thought I'd throw up a thread to discuss arguably the best show on TV. The new season starts Sunday night if you live in the States on HBO, and Monday night on Sky Atlantic if you're in the UK both at the time of 9pm (No idea as to screening times anywhere else though).

Please do not post spoilers from the books ahead of time. Some people don't want to read the books (myself included. I plan to read them all once the series is all done, until then I'll enjoy the TV show for what it is). It's okay to discuss a change from the books though once something different has happened in the tv show.

Really looking forward to this series, especially Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder the King beyond the Wall as he was excellent as Julius Caesar in Rome.
    Last edited by Brakkart; 04-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Here's hoping Joffrey gets bummed off a Dragon.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Been listening my way through the commentary tracks on my season 2 DVD set recently and was amazed to learn that Jack Gleeson who plays Joffrey apparently plans to go into teaching theology rather than continue with acting once his role on the series is done, he's already taken his degree in it. The show's exec producers half joking suggested fans start a letter writing campaign to convince him to change his mind as he's such a good actor. He certainly plays a truly horrible villain and has apparently been nicknamed the most hated man on television, which is some feat.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Given his success, I think a break would be good. He's so good at playing an odious little worm, he'd be typecast all too easily.

Go off and teach for a bit, return in a different role?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

True nobody wants to be typecast. I'm still amazed that he is that kid from the slum in Batman Begins myself.

Chapter-Master

Screw acting, teach theology!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Oh my god..... That was amazing! Ser Barristan Selmy is a boss.

I will always be a Lannister.
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 04-01-2013 at 04:23 AM.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Brother-Captain

Just finished watching it and yeah it is good to see Ser Barristan back, though in a very notable departure from the books he isn't using an alias. In the books he appears to Dany as Astan Whitebeard and it is quite some time until she knows who he really is. I think I prefer the show's approach as Ser Barristan is very well known, as shown in the show when Ser Jorah recognises him instantly.

That scene with the Unsullied though *shudder* that was just a nasty way of showing how obidient they are!
    Last edited by Brakkart; 04-01-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Librarian

I think some of the changes from the book have really dropped the quality of the show, such as season 2 with the burning of the gods before the attempted assassination of the red priest that would have more impact the other way round imo.

Brother-Captain

I dunno about that one, the scene with the burning of the gods was still pretty resonant for me. I do get the feeling that the show will diverge quite greatly from the books as time goes on, as I know Dany and Arya's stories really drag their heels at times which might work in a book, but won't work on tv. I kinda like that the show has it's own take on the overall story though, means those who do read the books can still be surprised by the show, and after listening to the commentary GRRM did even he admits that some of the way that series has handled things is better than his own writing.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast