BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Well that was horrible... I knew it was going to happen but even so, actually seeing it is something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Just watched ep 9............ O_O ...............

What?....What?..... Wow.....
    Check out the reactions of these people!

Last edited by Brakkart; 06-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Schadenfreude...overwhelming...

I actually made a point of watching this one with my friends after I heard the Red Wedding was in it. That made them suspicious but the 3-4 who hadn't read the book had no idea what was coming and their reactions really were amusing. For me. Traumatic for them.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Schadenfreude...overwhelming...

I actually made a point of watching this one with my friends after I heard the Red Wedding was in it. That made them suspicious but the 3-4 who hadn't read the book had no idea what was coming and their reactions really were amusing. For me. Traumatic for them.
    I knew it was coming, but it still was pretty brutal, and I still dont like it. Robb wasn't my favorite character but I liked him...you gotta feel bad for the Starks.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Yup, but I worked through all that when I read the books and I haven't been following the series much since the end of the first season. Actually felt more sorry for Whatsisnames wife who I'm sure survived in the book.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Well Robb's wife does survive in the books because she isn't there. She also isn't the wife he has in the show (Talisa Maegyr) as she is named Jeyne Westerling. She is also not pregnant. I get the feeling they created Talisa (and her pregnancy) specifically so that those who have read the books would still get an element of shock/surprise from the Red Wedding, as they did not have forewarning of her death and the rather horrible manner in which it was done. If so, kudos to the shows creators for a clever bit of adaptation.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

My friends didn't know it was coming, because they don't read...
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

[URL]http://imgur.com/gallery/L5hGXMf[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    Well Robb's wife does survive in the books because she isn't there. She also isn't the wife he has in the show (Talisa Maegyr) as she is named Jeyne Westerling. She is also not pregnant. I get the feeling they created Talisa (and her pregnancy) specifically so that those who have read the books would still get an element of shock/surprise from the Red Wedding, as they did not have forewarning of her death and the rather horrible manner in which it was done. If so, kudos to the shows creators for a clever bit of adaptation.
    Also because in the book, there's not a whole lot of characterization involved. Robb isn't a viewpoint character, everything you know about him is through Catelyn's eyes, and oftentimes it's secondhand knowledge rather than direct interaction. Because of how important Robb is to the plot, they had to beef up his storyline, keeping strictly to the book would have make for a pretty crappy adaption. And in the book, he marries Jayne Westerling (iirc) pretty much because he sleeps with her and felt obliged to marry her. That's about it, no real depth to it other than how it shapes the rest of the plot eventually. She's barely even a character, at least until much later in the series (and even then she's still a secondary character at best).

So in the show, they had to flesh out Robb's character, and that meant giving him a wife the audience could care about. They did a pretty awesome job, with the added benefit of having an even greater impact during the Red Wedding.

Unfortunately, I think I accidentally at least partially spoiled it for my sister. She's watching season 3, but she's only on episode 5 right now, and accidentally saw some comments below the video about the Red Wedding. I don't think it will matter, though. Even the people who knew exactly what was coming still got hit pretty hard, and my sister only knows that eventually some main characters will probably get killed.

That said, there are more developments to come in this part of the plot.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing peoples reaction to a certain characters return...

I am using the angry squid manoeuvre right now.
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 06-04-2013 at 03:37 AM.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Is that a euphemism?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast