BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone have any advice for noobs as to why tau are different to imperial guard?

I am thinking of doing a tau army... I currently have a shooty infantry-based guard list because when I got into 40k it was a toss-up between tau and guard, and I decided to go the human route... now I want to go the tau route :-)

I haven't faced many tau lists, so I thought I'd ask some advice here... I know the new Tau codex will change a few things but I guess fundamentally they are shooty but they also can manoeuvre and shoot, which is something I don't really do with my guard (Typically Heavy weapons sit there shooting things, and the hoard of infantry strolls forward in a straight line shooting, being a tar-pit and then dying... simple but has proven effective :-) )

I don't want to just use the tau in the same fashion... I want to take advantage of some things only they can do...

I love the all the different type of battle suits, so what are the different ways you can use crisis suits and stealth suits?

Also, are there are any possible synergies I could work towards for a tau/guard allied list?

First-Captain

Stealth suits appear to becoming a perfect baiting unit, you move forwards and taunt units to attack them, move back to within support range, as the enemy charge the stealth, enjoy having bs 2 overwatch with support fire shots as well.
    For the Greater good.

Tau are Imperial Guard but with worse close combat, worse shooting (and less of it), worse troops, more expensive armor, and no good HQ. Old Tau are essentially the blueprint on how to not build a shooting army and GW learned from their mistake with 5th edition Imperial Guard.

It seems they forgot that lesson with the new Tau codex as rumors of S8 Broadsides, 24" range Pulse Rifles, and still army-wide BS3 pour in.

All the Tau have are great Elites choices so you better make darn good use of them.

First-Captain

Rumours of 24" pulse rifles? Lol.....

And while I would want bs 4 tau, if that was the case, markerlights would be useless
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Rumours of 24" pulse rifles? Lol.....

And while I would want bs 4 tau, if that was the case, markerlights would be useless
    There are many, many uses for Markerlights. Also, BS4 Tau would mean BS5 with markerlights. That would be in general two units combining for one devastating attack, as it should be, instead of two units combining for one MEQ 66% chance of hit attack.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SonicPara View Post
    There are many, many uses for Markerlights. Also, BS4 Tau would mean BS5 with markerlights. That would be in general two units combining for one devastating attack, as it should be, instead of two units combining for one MEQ 66% chance of hit attack.
    since ML can already raise bs to 5... lol
    For the Greater good.

Librarian

Stealth suits appear to becoming a perfect baiting unit, you move forwards and taunt units to attack them, move back to within support range, as the enemy charge the stealth, enjoy having bs 2 overwatch with support fire shots as well.
    A Tau can not use their target lights as part of overwatch and then get the benefit from them. Only other Tau units that fire after the marker lights have hit can get the benefit from them. I am unsure whether GW will allow Tau to use them in multiple charge overwatch shooting either. They generally have it in for the Xenos, and limit their special rules and abilities compared to Imperial units.

The baiting tactic is a sound one. Draw the enemy in, and then concentrate fire on one unit annihilating it (hopefully).

I can not see how else you meant to get BS 2 in overwatch. Snap shooting is very clear - BS 1 only.
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 03-31-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    A Tau can not use their target lights as part of overwatch and then get the benefit from them. Only other Tau units that fire after the marker lights have hit can get the benefit from them. I am unsure whether GW will allow Tau to use them in multiple charge overwatch shooting either. They generally have it in for the Xenos, and limit their special rules and abilities compared to Imperial units.

The baiting tactic is a sound one. Draw the enemy in, and then concentrate fire on one unit annihilating it (hopefully).

I can not see how else you meant to get BS 2 in overwatch. Snap shooting is very clear - BS 1 only.
    Stealth Suits (at least them) can take an upgrade that makes overwatch shots fire at bs2. That's what I meant.
    For the Greater good.

Tau should be a bit like the Dark Eldar - another finesse army that you can't just play like "shootier" Marines. Of course, having said that, it's too soon to say what they're going to be like as the new Codex seems markedly different to the old one. I'd simply wait a little while longer, as no-one can really give you any useful advice until then.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

since ML can already raise bs to 5... lol
    The reported new Markerlights can only increase BS by 1 so no, no BS5 Tau unless they start at BS4 or have BS5 naturally (named characters/HQ only). The masters of ranged combat will once again have laughable accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast