BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Codex Tau Empire: Picking it apart.

How do?

Decided this was best placed here, rather than news and rumours.

To kick off, I'm going to go with Kroot Carnivore Squads, as they missed out on the general frothing (and understandably so with all the new toys).

So, no longer a slightly ill fitting HTH unit. Kroot rifles no longer grant an additional attack, and they're down to S3. Not the best start for them I'll grant you. So what's the point in them?

Well, they remain dirt cheap, and still make for a half decent, point for point holding unit. They retain infiltrate, but only get Stealth in Forests.

But, they have a real diamond in the rough... Sniper Rounds. I didn't see them covered in the rumours, but my word they are nice! For just a single point per Kroot (though you have to upgrade the whole unit) they gain a 24", Heavy 1 Sniper Rifle. That's right folks, for a piddling 140 points, and some careful deployment, you bag a 20 strong unit with rending, precision shot guns that will take a lot of winkling out. Where they miss out on range, their exceptionally low points cost makes them for my money the best sniper unit in the game! More numerous than Pathfinders and Scouts. They may not be quite as survivable, but in the right cover (granted no guarantee of that occurring) and the difference is reduced. Where your traditionally sniper unit lives in perpetual fear of those weapons that ignore their cover save, the number of Kroot you can have in a single unit means that fear is lessened.

Whilst not exactly a unit or tactic to build your army around, I can think of few situations where a unit of 10 can't be slotted in! Plus, they can now benefit from Marker Lights. Bit of sneaky infiltration, and a handful of Markers, and they can comfortably out snipe all comers. Pathfinders getting up your nose? See how cocky they are when you strip them of their cover save.... You can even move up into position, and use the Markers to boost your Snapshot BS!

For me, one of the standout units in the book!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    How do?

Decided this was best placed here, rather than news and rumours.

To kick off, I'm going to go with Kroot Carnivore Squads, as they missed out on the general frothing (and understandably so with all the new toys).

So, no longer a slightly ill fitting HTH unit. Kroot rifles no longer grant an additional attack, and they're down to S3. Not the best start for them I'll grant you. So what's the point in them?

Well, they remain dirt cheap, and still make for a half decent, point for point holding unit. They retain infiltrate, but only get Stealth in Forests.

But, they have a real diamond in the rough... Sniper Rounds. I didn't see them covered in the rumours, but my word they are nice! For just a single point per Kroot (though you have to upgrade the whole unit) they gain a 24", Heavy 1 Sniper Rifle. That's right folks, for a piddling 140 points, and some careful deployment, you bag a 20 strong unit with rending, precision shot guns that will take a lot of winkling out. Where they miss out on range, their exceptionally low points cost makes them for my money the best sniper unit in the game! More numerous than Pathfinders and Scouts. They may not be quite as survivable, but in the right cover (granted no guarantee of that occurring) and the difference is reduced. Where your traditionally sniper unit lives in perpetual fear of those weapons that ignore their cover save, the number of Kroot you can have in a single unit means that fear is lessened.

Whilst not exactly a unit or tactic to build your army around, I can think of few situations where a unit of 10 can't be slotted in! Plus, they can now benefit from Marker Lights. Bit of sneaky infiltration, and a handful of Markers, and they can comfortably out snipe all comers. Pathfinders getting up your nose? See how cocky they are when you strip them of their cover save.... You can even move up into position, and use the Markers to boost your Snapshot BS!

For me, one of the standout units in the book!
    Don't forget, it doesn't say replaces ammo, so they could choose whichever ammo they want I guess.
    For the Greater good.

Fair point!

Pending FAQ, which may say it is a replacement, just gone up further in my estimation!

Plus, there is the argument that with Kroot, your opponent may leave them be in favour of higher value targets! Well. Until you start dropping value targets (like Crypteks, and Necron Lords. Or perhaps you know.... Exarchs and that!) Also, just checked Storm of Fire. Yep, unless sniping, Kroot get the extra shot as well..

Right, over to the others to offer analysis and thoughts on the other units!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 04-06-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Also worth noting Kroot Rifles are AP5 in close combat. Doesn't quite make up for the loss of S4, but does give them a decent boost against light infantry assaulting their position.

Brother-Sergeant

Krootox don't ruin the infiltrate anymore either. So now you can have 3 infiltrating or outflanking autocannons as well. Hounds have acute senses, so if you include a few of those you can re-roll your outflank rolls too. Kroot are a truly interesting unit now.

Battle-Brother

Just got my codex, had a good read through and yes this kroot trick looks fun. Add a shaper too (but not necessary, for the +1 ld) for under 90 points.
    Dont get how the hounds will work on a charge, as the main unit don't get the charge through cover so will they pull the hounds back?
    Like the mass markerlight fun too, lots of BS+fun vs the AirCav nonsense.

There is however one bug i can't seem to find the answer to, what do EMP grenades do? I played Tau on the first book (full kroot merc list) so never got to use them and can't find what they do in the new codex. Are they Haywire grenades by another name.

They are Haywire grenades.

So now that the new Codex has a couple of shiny new flyers, does the Barracuda and the Remora drones have relevance still or are the new flyers better.

Chapter-Master

Standouts for me, so far:

1) Tau missile spam is ridiculous. They might not have the penetration (AP) of krak missiles, but if you kit out a broadside squad correctly and field it with an Ethereal, you could be putting out 40 7/4 missiles at 36'' and another 12 5/5 missiles at 30''.

2) Small changes to the way sniper drones work - the fact that they are jet pack infantry even though the controller is not and the fact that their guns are now rapid fire - make them very versatile and very deadly. Their stealth rule and mobility means that your opponent will want to close with them to kill them, but closing with them is a bad idea because once you get to 24'', their sniper rifles start doubletapping. And, by the way, they are BS 5 now.

3) Pathfinders have ridiculous weapon options now. Rail rifles are 30'' 6/1 Rapid Fire. Ion rifles have two modes, both at 30'': 7/4 Rapid Fire or 8/4 Heavy 1, Gets Hot, Blast. I foresee very small pathfinder units being used as mini devastator squads, as well as an ion rifle or three in a large team intended primarily to mark targets (so the team can contribute meaningfully while getting out of their transport and setting up those Heavy 1 markerlights). Ion rifles are better, IMHO, because they are more versatile. They can threaten light vehicles and scare several kinds of infantry. If your meta is full of 3+ and 2+ opponents - like mine - those rail rifles are still good, though.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Standouts for me, so far:

1) Tau missile spam is ridiculous. They might not have the penetration (AP) of krak missiles, but if you kit out a broadside squad correctly and field it with an Ethereal, you could be putting out 40 7/4 missiles at 36'' and another 12 5/5 missiles at 30''.

2) Small changes to the way sniper drones work - the fact that they are jet pack infantry even though the controller is not and the fact that their guns are now rapid fire - make them very versatile and very deadly. Their stealth rule and mobility means that your opponent will want to close with them to kill them, but closing with them is a bad idea because once you get to 24'', their sniper rifles start doubletapping. And, by the way, they are BS 5 now.

3) Pathfinders have ridiculous weapon options now. Rail rifles are 30'' 6/1 Rapid Fire. Ion rifles have two modes, both at 30'': 7/4 Rapid Fire or 8/4 Heavy 1, Gets Hot, Blast. I foresee very small pathfinder units being used as mini devastator squads, as well as an ion rifle or three in a large team intended primarily to mark targets (so the team can contribute meaningfully while getting out of their transport and setting up those Heavy 1 markerlights). Ion rifles are better, IMHO, because they are more versatile. They can threaten light vehicles and scare several kinds of infantry. If your meta is full of 3+ and 2+ opponents - like mine - those rail rifles are still good, though.
    Rail rifles work best in my opinion with a outflanking squad to clear back field
    For the Greater good.

Sadly, still not that convinced by Skyrays and Vespid.

Vespid did get a boost in range which helps massively, but they remain quite expensive. In the right list they'll do well. They ought to prove a threat to MEQ's and remain good at mopping up survivors. However, they share once of the best populated and most competitive slots in the list. Given they're up against Pathfinders, Drones, Piranhas and both flyers I think they'll remain an uncommon sight on the field.

Skyray... It's effective anti-air, and does provide some measure of infantry support. A nice choice for smaller armies I'm sure, but once the points limit goes up, it doesn't do anything other units can't. It has its place, but its rather niche in my opinion.

Sniper Drones... Not quite sure what to think of them. They're ok, but given my praises of Kroot, I think they're sidelined in terms of sniping.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast