BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I don't think it is fair to just say "stop buying it". Living in Australia myself, the prices are incredibly exorbitant and very hard to justify. That isn't to say we won't pay those prices, but many hobbyists are nonetheless aggrieved - probably justifiably too - about the situation. Thankfully, the new Tau releases sport some of the best deals we've seen since the Necron release. $80 AUD for three Crisis suits in a single box, given that purchasing three individual kits used to cost $123 AUD, is staggering. The new Pathfinder kit is similarly well costed, with thirteen or so models for less than $50 AUD. About the only kit that doesn't measure up is the Broadside at $76 AUD, though that is understandable given it is the size of a Dreadnought and costs the same. It just doesn't seem like the best deal when the doubly huge Riptide is $90 AUD, the same price as a Nemesis Dreadknight.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 04-08-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

Personally, I think the reaction is outrageous. So, they screwed up a little something in the text... so big deal. We live in an era where information technology takes care of that nicely. They aren't charging for pdfs or printouts of the FAQs.

Now critique about their prices and the way they treat Australians are a lot more fair. That's a genuine barrier to enjoying the hobby. This? It's unfortunate and frustrating, but hardly criminal.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I didn't even notice the errors with proof-reading, honestly. Typos don't bother me so long as I can actually make out the point they are trying to get across. Day one erratas are better than no erratas at all, methinks.
    I had a similar case with the Dark Angels codex; until I saw all the complaints, I didn't even notice the many typos.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Initiate
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States

This is one of the reasons I like the e-book version instead of the paper version. You can update the e-book. That and it's a lot lighter, faster to search, stuff like that.

Wish they'd do a combined ebook/paper book though, something nice about a library of books vs. a reading device.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Sounds like the Missile drone errata is more of a development afterthought, trying to keep a single unit from being overpowered by limiting their access to that drone. That's legit errata (although still not good). A typo would be poor proofreading, which we've seen them have as well.
    Like where they spell the artefact world of Arthas Moloch differently within two consecutive paragraphs?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Initiate
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Like where they spell the artefact world of Arthas Moloch differently within two consecutive paragraphs?
    I don't know about GW specifically, but in my experience in an industry with tons of acronyms and weird names (Computer Industry, FCoE anyone?) if you accidentally hit 'add to dictionary' it's hard as heck to go fix it in your dictionary. seeing that they are creating random planets and whatever it's possible someone got tired of seeing the red squigglies in word and hit 'add to dictionary' and then someone else did it on the other spelling and boom, you got an error.

Combine that with how our brain reads things...well...little errors like that are bound to happen. I know of no editing tools that make finding errors like that easier either, especially with made up words.

Not saying it's right, just 'i see how it can happen'. however for $50 you'd like a bit more from them.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
    I don't know about GW specifically, but in my experience in an industry with tons of acronyms and weird names (Computer Industry, FCoE anyone?) if you accidentally hit 'add to dictionary' it's hard as heck to go fix it in your dictionary. seeing that they are creating random planets and whatever it's possible someone got tired of seeing the red squigglies in word and hit 'add to dictionary' and then someone else did it on the other spelling and boom, you got an error.

Combine that with how our brain reads things...well...little errors like that are bound to happen. I know of no editing tools that make finding errors like that easier either, especially with made up words.

Not saying it's right, just 'i see how it can happen'. however for $50 you'd like a bit more from them.
    If it's that easy to happen, all the more read to proof-read the thing properly, especially when it is such a glaringly obvious error. TBF, I think there was only this one and one other typo in the whole book which isn't bad going. The number of typos and grammatical errors in WD has decreased significantly since they employed a deputy editor, so they are making steps in the right direction.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    I don't think it is fair to just say "stop buying it". Living in Australia myself, the prices are incredibly exorbitant and very hard to justify. That isn't to say we won't pay those prices, but many hobbyists are nonetheless aggrieved - probably justifiably too - about the situation. Thankfully, the new Tau releases sport some of the best deals we've seen since the Necron release. $80 AUD for three Crisis suits in a single box, given that purchasing three individual kits used to cost $123 AUD, is staggering. The new Pathfinder kit is similarly well costed, with thirteen or so models for less than $50 AUD. About the only kit that doesn't measure up is the Broadside at $76 AUD, though that is understandable given it is the size of a Dreadnought and costs the same. It just doesn't seem like the best deal when the doubly huge Riptide is $90 AUD, the same price as a Nemesis Dreadknight.
    Everyone in every country complains about the prices, its only too expensive when you can't afford what you want, and in this hobby, everyone wants everything, its not the price that needs an adjustment, its people expectations as to what they get

This guy is totally in Swedish House Mafia!

Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

Digital version of the codex had the astric when it was released Friday at midnight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast