BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question Colour matching airbrush paints.

Hi guys. I'm starting a project using codex grey, or vallejos cold grey, as the new GW colours don't match up to the old ones anywhere near what they claimed they would. Anyway, I'm thinking of using Vallejo air or minitaire paints to do the big things like vehicles and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which paints in that those ranges match up closest to codex/cold grey? I've looked through several pictures on a few online shops but from the pics I can't tell which ones match up well.
    Thanks for any help

I've been using an airbrush extensively this year, and I've found that in a lot of cases it's easier just to thin out some of the regular Vallejo line and spray that on than try to use only the Model Air line, or try to find Minitaire anywhere. I've been using water with flow aid, like [URL="http://www.winsornewton.com/products/oils-solvents-mediums-varnishes/acrylic-colour--painting-mediums-texture-gels-varnishes/acrylic-mediums/galeria-flow-improver/"]this stuff[/URL] as a thinner, as $10 USD makes 5L of thinner, as opposed to $4 USD for 17mL of Vallejo official thinner. Depending on the exact paint I find 3:1 or 4:1 paint to thinner gives a good consistency.

I know this isn't quite what you were asking for, but I make the suggestion anyway, because the moment you have to hand-mix a color or go outside the Vallejo basic range, you're going to be stuck manually thinning the paint anyway. If you're going to be using a lot of one color, I've found it handy to pre-mix in bulk in a dropper bottle; just add a little bead for an agitator, shake and drop in as needed.

Finally, using Vallejo's reference charts, it appears that Model Air German Grey is the correct match for Cold Grey, but I can't be positive on that, as it required translating Game Color > Citadel > Federal Standard > Model Air, because apparently a straight-across "this is what all our paints do" table wouldn't make sense.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Thanks for looking that reference up
    It quite hard to find flow aid etc here in Australia, I've just been using water and some similar products but I still get some clogging, I probably just need to practice more and learn my way around the airbrush :/
    Thanks for the great reply though, really appreciate it