BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Dark Eldar Scourge

So, taking a break from the Space Marines I was about to start on some plaguebearers when I got distracted by a Dark Eldar Scourge I had prepped a few months back. Hopefully I won't offend any DE fans, but the box art for these really didn't do anything for me. I had mostly ignored the figures until I happened upon a version of them painted by Sproket (a UK painter) and saw just how awesome they could be. So I ran out, bought a box, and started to figure out how I wanted to paint them up. I didn't want to copy Sproket (it would just look poor in comparison) and I didn't want to follow the box art. After some internet searching I came upon this piece of art by Beck Jann and really liked the color scheme.

I'm tempted to pick up a swooping hawk too and do this as a duel diorama... but that will be a project for a later time. Right now I just want to get one of the scourge painted up and see how he looks. I'm sticking with the color scheme from the reference art, but I decided to try out NMM with the armor. This is my first real go at NMM so it will be far from perfect. I don't yet have a feel for the right place to put the shadows and highlights... but hopefully as I work through this one I'll start to figure it out. Here's what I managed to get done at my painting group on Sunday and then at home last night.

As I said, the NMM isn't perfect but I'm happy with my first attempt. I've got a ways to go on him. I'm still trying to figure out colors for the sash around his waist, the vials on his back, and the tubing here and there. I like the simplicity of the red-white-black color scheme, so I don't want to introduce too many different colors. I've added a little purple to the eyes and red shadows, so I'm thinking I'll try to paint a purple liquid in the vials. The sash and tubing I still have no idea. Oh, and for his bare feet I'm debating between pale skin with purple shadows or going real dark to stay true to the reference art. So close to either the black or the white end of the color scheme.

Hope you like where this is headed and I'll post more pictures as I go.

Battle-Brother

I thought I'd share the color mixes I've used so far. They are mostly Reaper Master Series and a few from the Andrea Red Paint Set.

Red Armor:
    Then from the Andrea Red Paint Set: Base, Highlight 1, Highlight 2, Highlight 3 then

Battle-Brother

I thought I would share the paint mixes I've used so far. They are mostly Reaper Master Series and a few from the Andrea Red Paint Set.

Red Armor:
    Then from the Andrea Red Paint Set: Base, Highlight 1, Highlight 2, Highlight 3 then

Battle-Brother

Still working on the scourge. Made some more progress this weekend...

Battle-Brother

Quick update....

Battle-Brother

This guys is getting closer and closer to being finished. I've added the wings and put him on the base I built. Just a little more painting to do and then I can add his other arm and weapon.

Very cool, I really like the paint job on the armor, it fits the name "ghostplate" really well.

Its looks very good. My I ask, how did you paint the armor? Love how it turned out.
    My youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/darmamu

Quote Originally Posted by steamius View Post
    Its looks very good. My I ask, how did you paint the armor? Love how it turned out.
    Check out this if you have the time, Steamius. It might interest you.

[url]http://mordheimpdx.blogspot.com/2014/08/dark-eldar-commission-for-scott-maasai.html[/url]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1-6.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	19702
    My blog is here: http://mordheimpdx.blogspot.com
    Emgee Studio Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/emgeestudio

That chest plate is fantastic!
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com