BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Stormtalon from Darktalon

I've converted a Dark Talon into a Stormtalon, as I never liked the ST model. Admittedly, the DT is a more expensive model, but I much prefer the silhouette. As you can see I've flipped the wings, meaning the stylised Aquilla wings can be seen by ground troops as the ST flies overhead, as well as making giving the wings a dihedral angle rather than anhedral the model has built in. I also lowered wings as they looked really odd high up with the upward angle. I did originally stick the dark talon's missile racks on, but they really didn't work. I still need to fill the holes left from removing them, as well as the gaps from where the wings normally attach.

I also swapped out the heavy bolters with the two assault cannons from the ravenwing sprue. I was originally going to use the missile racks from the DT, but I kinda ruined them taking them off the wings, so more stuff of the ravenwing sprue in the shape of the Typhoon missile launchers.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

As a nod to the original Thunderhawk, I turned the tailplan around so the elevators were on the front. Not particularly pleasent aerodynamics-wise, but... well, none of the GW flyers are particularly, so who cares? Along with the backwards sweep matching the upper tail fin, I think it helps make the rear end seem more streamlined.

I went with the jets from the Nephilim Jetfighter, which reminded me a lot of the vectored thrust from a Harrier. You can also see the wings here and also the welding I used to attach the wings.

So it's good bye from me, and good bye from him;

Note how I have removed more or less all the Ravenwing symbols from the pilot and aircraft

Very good looking conversion, but just one problem... doesn't the Stormtalon have a 360-arc on its Assault Cannon? So it should be underslung in some way off the nose, not front-mounted, in order to have the weapon's appearance match its firing arc in the rules.

And believe me, that 360-degree arc is a huge reason for taking the Stormtalon.

Chapter-Master

On the original model yes, but in the rules it doesn't say how it is mounted and the bulky, awkward looking turret is one of my least favourite features of the stormtalon design

Damn that's awesome! great conversion work much better than the storm talon model.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Chapter-Master

Update time (after quite a long hiatus!)

I have finally got some paint on this bird;

Not much fancy; a dry brush of Wazdakka red over a black undercoat, metalics done in lead belcher with anuln oil wash, free hand flames and chapter symbol, and a little OSL on the pilot. Speaking of whom...

Slightly clearer version of him, without the lighting making the back of the cockpit unnaturally bright. I didn't want the eyes to look like there were glowing, as too mush OSL can ruin a model in my opinion.

Just waiting on the undercoat for the base to dry, along with the nose piece that sits over the clear plastic canopy, then I can get this kite finished. Might come back to it at a later date, but for now this is plenty good enough for me.

Librarian

really liking the work Soton, looks awesome!
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

Chapter-Master

Not sure about the missle pods, but a massive overall improvement on the hideous stormtalon.
    Like the paint scheme. Especially the reflected displays.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Aaaand, we're done...

Base to start off with;

Nothing too fancy, but nice to make use of the space available on the big oval bases. I can let anyone know how I built up the colours if they are interested, but won't bore you otherwise.

Close up of the casualty. I'm tempted to do some blood on the bullet holes, but I'm not entirely sure. Bart of me wants him to be little more than a hollowed out suit of armour that did centuries before, part of me wants him to be freshly shot down by the stormtalon. What do you all think?

Chapter-Master

The whole kite. Your eyes aren't deceiving you, the whole aircraft is banked to it's left, as well as being in a slight dive. That is part of the reason for the odd, non-central position of the flying stand on the base.

Once out of the glare of the sun, you can still see the pilot inside nice and clearly, which I am really pleased about. Again, normally he doesn't seem quite so bright; that's just the sun shining a little too brightly for this photo.

I only include this pic because I managed to get a beautifully framed shot by accident!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast