BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piranha Tactics

Default Piranha Tactics

I started writing a blog recently to try and get a feel for the new Tau army. Still unsure on whether or not I like Piranha, but I feel like they could be really strong in certain builds:

[url]http://savagesynergy.blogspot.com/2013/04/updated-piranha-tactics.html[/url]

Discussion and comments would be great (on either the Piranha or the blog itself).

My advice? Cut their wings off, (maybe magnetize them), then convert them into tetras.
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession

Chapter-Master

Yeah, I remain underwhelmed by the piranha. In another of my threads, the best anyone could say about them was that they got cheaper, which makes fielding a horde of the little buggers a valid choice. Rush your opponent with a swarm of suicide piranhas, whittle away at heavy infantry and vehicles with fusion blasters, use the time to redeploy the rest of your forces advantageously. Piranhas remain a paradox: lightly armored (I know they're hardier than land speeders, but they still pretty fragile), easy-to-kill vehicles with relatively short-range weaponry, requiring that they get up in their targets' face. The fact that they are now a cheap - and therefore numerous - paradox doesn't make them worth the opportunity cost of not using those points and that Fast Attack slot for pathfinders, or a flyer, or - as Panxer suggests - tetras.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

It helps to ignore the fact that they are vehicles when it comes to tactics, and treat them as a bit shorter ranged versions of Marine Attack Bikes.

They're still my go-to unit of cheap seeker missile carrying units. It's always a laugh when I can nail a seeker missile into the back end of a transport that's trying to hide.

I can also see them being quite useful in either a dense terrain an urban type of board.
    Last edited by Uncle Nutsy; 04-27-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

2x Piranha + 2x Fusion Blasters + 4x Seekers + 2x Blacksun Filters (why not?)
    134pts

Even at BS3, 4x Seekers should hit and damage something light armored on turn 1; at least it's worth, ahem, a shot. Then you've got this cheap, fast unit that can hide out to threaten heavy armor etc.; or just go suicide attack a Land Raider. Or, it can aid the rest of the army to get that last wound off of an MC or Uber-unit.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Yeah, I remain underwhelmed by the piranha. In another of my threads, the best anyone could say about them was that they got cheaper, which makes fielding a horde of the little buggers a valid choice. Rush your opponent with a swarm of suicide piranhas, whittle away at heavy infantry and vehicles with fusion blasters, use the time to redeploy the rest of your forces advantageously. Piranhas remain a paradox: lightly armored (I know they're hardier than land speeders, but they still pretty fragile), easy-to-kill vehicles with relatively short-range weaponry, requiring that they get up in their targets' face. The fact that they are now a cheap - and therefore numerous - paradox doesn't make them worth the opportunity cost of not using those points and that Fast Attack slot for pathfinders, or a flyer, or - as Panxer suggests - tetras.
    Not only are they cheaper, but they have more firepower. Win Win.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Not only are they cheaper, but they have more firepower. Win Win.
    More firepower how? Slightly longer range on the fusion blaster?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

That, and an extra shot on the burst cannon.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    More firepower how? Slightly longer range on the fusion blaster?
    Extra shot on the burst cannon, extra range on the fusion gun, and an extra shot per gun drone (+2).
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast