BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I have watched live, full contact medieaval jousting. It occurs to me that, excepting arrow stuff, LARPers could and should go for melee, not-to-the-death tourney rules, and would instantly attract more kudos. 'The thrill of combat'? MM there is no risk from a foam morning star - where is the 'thrill'?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Hard to explain if you've never tried it. Definitely 'one of those things'.

There is something about standing as part of a shield wall (though I'm a second ranker, dual wielding and taking advantage of my gangly arms) and hammering away at your 'foe'. Sword in my right (off hand. Lefty by nature, lefty by politics!) held high an horizontal, fending off pole arms (carbon fibre cores mean no thrusting). Mace in my main hand (or my axe, perhaps my dagger. Depends how clumsy I've been. Mostly mace....) flashing out to deliver a blow to a distracted opponent. It's particularly funny and rewarding when one of their healers has come to the front line for a bit of magicky healy, and you tonk that one hit squishy into the dirt.

But the main thrill for me comes from monstering. Carefully isolating a player from their mates, seeing the genuine panic (if they're doing it right) as they realise they're very, very likely to get horribly paggad in the next few seconds. Last year, in a single engagement I bagged no less than 5 player characters, whilst monstering as an Imp (which involves red face paint and some 'extremely violent 6 year old' type antics. Giggling through out the combat, blowing raspberries at them, forcing them to back into a tree, then drumming on their head. Glorious stuff!

And the best bit about monstering? Nope, it's not being able to enjoy combat without thought to self preservation, but bagging a hearty round of applause from your fellow players for a good punch up well fought.

Add in the general enjoyment of camping, lots of drink, plot to get involved in, and making new friends over the weekend, and that's what it's all about.

But, as with all social interactions, even the most promising weekend can be utterly ruined by people being arses. Second year I went, I bought a crossbow (Mother currently awaits a new string). And it turns out I'm a bit of a natural, and have a distinct knack for loosing into the rear ranks of a melee, typically bagging a head shot. Sadly, one of those dropped by me, despite him monstering at the time decided to tell the refs I'd loosed point blank into his eye. Which was bollocks. But because of that one accusation, I very nearly got booted off. Thankfully, one of our faction refs had been stood standing next to me. On the brow of the hill. A good 30 metres away from the ongoing combat. Worse, is when people don't take their hits, then demand you pull your blows. In one pagga, I should have single handed lot dropped three players, having smacked each one upside the head around 7 times each. No matter how heavy your armour, no rank and file would have that many hits. Even allowing for extras, the most you can get (without being an Ogre..) is your standard one per, body dev for another base point (taking us up to 2), and then 4 points for Extra Heavy armour, for a total of six hit points. Stuff like body dev is phys repped by ribbons, ribbons none of them were wearing... Makes you wonder what the point of going into combat is if you refuse to take your hits. The bellends.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

Don't like the idea of "Larping" never have, I have a HUGE dislike of cosplay too, its just not for me. It seems childish and pointless in a way that painting toys soldiers doesn't. I paint my marines or whatever because I enjoy the creativity and I except that its the same for Larping and being proud of a costume you have made. Very good, that's costume design and a fine art in its own right it is too, but to pretend to run around as a fictional charecter and role play etc is just a step too far (for me). I was quite indifferent about it until some dick dressed as a commissar at the 2008 UK GD really pissed me off and decided it would be "role playing" to glare at people and push his way around the 3 halls the entire day. Suffice to safe he got pushed back.
    I like the cool costumes people make, they are fun and the recent Imperial fists one I saw on beasts of war looked great, but the whole playing thing is just a bit too weird. Each to their own, I just find it a bit odd.

I will stress once again before I get hated upon, Larping isn't my thing and never will be, but if it makes you happy and your not getting in anyones face. Crack on.
    Last edited by DeadPanda; 04-28-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I have watched live, full contact medieaval jousting. It occurs to me that, excepting arrow stuff, LARPers could and should go for melee, not-to-the-death tourney rules, and would instantly attract more kudos. 'The thrill of combat'? MM there is no risk from a foam morning star - where is the 'thrill'?
    That strikes me as being a bit like knocking paintball or airsoft as being 'not dangerous enough'...which seems silly.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    That strikes me as being a bit like knocking paintball or airsoft as being 'not dangerous enough'...which seems silly.
    Screw Airsoft & Paintball real men fire cannons at each other!
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Screw Airsoft & Paintball real men fire cannons at each other!
    Real men don't need the cannons, we just glare until things explode.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    You win this round....
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    My reenactment group uses blunt metal weapons of the appropriate weight. It's much more interesting to do and far more exciting to watch. The downside is you have ot have someone who knows what they are doing to teach new members because even with appropriate safety precautions it requires skill and concentration not to cause an injury.

Foam weapons just don't cut it after that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    You win this round....

Relevant: [URL]http://www.twogag.com/archives/2917[/URL]
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

There are definitely some fun "LARPS" out there. Darkon ([url]www.darkon.org[/url]) Ive been going to for almost 20 years now and still have a blast. Dagorhir is another one that is pretty well represented in the US. Full contact fighting with foam weapons and fairly real armor. Its not the stand in front of the other guy and rap them in the head with your wooden stick that SCA is. You are running around, jumping over fallen trees, fighting fake monsters, enjoying adventure, as well as beating on people with sticks. I hear there are groups in Europe that even fight in old castles. Shrug. If its not your thing, its not your thing, but no one that plays with plastic army men should ever mock people who are exercising....even if they dress up in tights like that jackass in my profile pic

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast