BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Technically, doesn't the Broadside have an XV compatible rail rifle
    It's not a commander, it's not mobile; and broadsides are basically now little more than instant death able AA defense platforms...yes, I know they put out a bazillion shots and if you give them missile drones, they put out even MORE shots, but honestly I'd rather have skyray; It's not instant death capable, if you buy the dispod it's got a 4+ cover on the move, comes with it's own networked markerlights, has better range than missile broadsides, and doesn't need to buy skyfire at 20pts.

Just my opinion, but broadsides are no longer an anti-armor choice. S8 AP1 from across the board and no melta rule or armor bane? Not looking too hot to me.
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession

Chapter-Master

Let's look at the dual loadouts one at a time:

Dual Burst Cannons

With dual burst cannons, a squad of three crisis suits can put out a pretty fantastic twenty-four shots. True, they're 5/5 shots, but that is a lot of them. Dual burst cannon crisis suits will put a pretty serious dent in anything with 5+ armor and T4 or worse. The trouble is - as I've said before - that burst cannons are an answer to the wrong question. The Tau codex doesn't need any help putting 5/5 shooting on the table. That said... that's a lot of shots. You can't go wrong by pouring fire onto the target.

Dual Flamers

I just don't see the point. You're unlikely to be able to put out more 4/5 wounds with those templates than you're going to get 5/5 hits with dual burst cannons, and not only are burst cannons stronger, they can do it at 18''.

Dual Fusion Blasters

I mean... six 8/1 melta shots at 18'' is pretty great, but who's your target? For heavy infantry, you probably want something with more shots, something more like a plasma rifle. For vehicles... the thing is, with melta, the goal is usually not more shots, but to make those shots really count, because what you're counting on is the 2d6 armor penetration to deliver, rather than glancing to death (that's more a 7/4 long range strategy).

Dual Missile Pods

I see the appeal. Twelve 7/4 shots at 36'' is pretty nasty on a jet pack infantry platform. I could see a very tasty harassment unit kitted out with dual missile pods. The ability to put out so many 7/4 shots puts missile pods ahead of Krootox in terms of 7/4 shooting at range (not that anything's wrong with Krootox, mind you) and just behind silo-sides.

Dual Plasma Rifles

I think that plasma rifles are the real winner of the Tau FAQ. Dual plasma rifles on a three man crisis squad is six 6/2 shots at 24'' and twelve at 12''. Add a similarly equipped XV8 commander, and you have eight shots at 4'' and fourteen at 12''. If you math-hammer it out and assume markerlight support, that's four dead MEQ a turn at 24'' and eight or nine at 12''. Even 5++ TEQs have something to fear.

Another configuration I can see being very attractive is a sort of a boosted fireknife. Call it a firesword or something. Two plasma rifles and a missile pod. At range, it operates like a fireknife - one 6/2 shot and two 7/4 for popping light vehicles - but switches to plasma rifles up close.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

EP, what are your thoughts about dual configurations vs. simply adding more suits? 52 points gets you a dual plasma suit, but 74 points gets you two suits with two plasma rifles between them. Do you think that the 22 point savings is good enough that one should, as a rule of thumb, double up before adding more suits?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    EP, what are your thoughts about dual configurations vs. simply adding more suits? 52 points gets you a dual plasma suit, but 74 points gets you two suits with two plasma rifles between them. Do you think that the 22 point savings is good enough that one should, as a rule of thumb, double up before adding more suits?
    I mean, it depends on what you want to do with them. Three suits with a pair of drones (preferably shield drones for the 4++) is a pretty durable unit. You've got an invulnerable save and two ablative wounds to put between the unit's firepower and the enemy. The unit has a decent leadership, so it's unlikely to run off the table, and even if it does, you can ensure that it will regroup with the bonding knife ritual upgrade. The thing is, if you asked me to choose between adding more firepower to a durable unit and just adding more suits... I'm more inclined to put those points where I think they're likely to stick around.

That said, if you want to put out a suicide squad - like XV8s with fusion blasters to deep strike and wipe out some pesky AV 14 - by all means, keep them cheap and twin-linked the weapons.

I'd just like to chime in about the Burst Cannons - XV9's do it better for a similar cost. 2x Twin Linked Burst cannons with T5/2W/3+/ Vectored thrusters and defensive grenades. I think they are about 80/90 pts with the default loadout. They get pricey if you add fusion cascades (although 2d3 S6 AP1 Melta shots each is tasty).

Edit: 75pts Base (come with multi-trackers)
    Last edited by Neelam; 05-02-2013 at 04:47 AM.

I pretty much agree with what's been said so far.

But what about that third slot? For me, I'd be tempted to have a Fire Warrior support squad farting about my lines, each with a Flamer. To get the most out of the unit, other weapons would likely be dual missle pods, as they have a good mix of range and hitting power, and can be use to pop transports before the Firewarriors hose down the survivors. Flamers of course come into play for Support Fire, where 3D3 S4 autohits is always sexy, and the odd sallying forth
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I used a TL plasma and burst cannon squad, with gun drones. I found them very effective, I'm not sure if dual weapons would be worth it. Maybe with the Burst cannons because they are cheap and put out enough shots to not have to rely on marker lights (but would make them much nastier) and 36 Str 5 shots (gun drones aswell) are going to make even terminators a little worried.

Dual plasma would probably be worth it, but are 12 shots enough when you are only 12" away, and 6 shots, even Str7 ap 2 at 24" isn't that scary. They are a very marker light hungry (at least 4 red dots per turn/unit) if you have the marker lights available then they will be good, but I'm still not sold. I still think 1 TL and one normal would be a better investment, or maybe just two different weapons and a support system. But to each their own.

Always dual, rather than twin-link. Twinlinking makes you more accurate yes, but dual weapons give you more potential.

A twinlinked Missile pod can only ever land two hits. Two missile pods, can potentially land 4 hits each and every turn.... Always always dual!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Nah' sometimes you need to save points.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Nah' sometimes you need to save points.
    This.

Basically, I think dual weapons have replaced the former mixed-weapons "expensive" formations, like fireknife or fireforge. It used to be that you had to take two different weapons in order to up the units ROF, because two of the same weapons automatically twin-linked. Now that you can just take two, say, plasma rifles and add Krootox or something to your carnivore squad, why bother adding a missile pod to your expensive crisis suit? Why not take two plasma rifles for the same price?

BUT, when you want a cheap crisis suit, nothing beats twin-linking. Its reliable, killy, markerlight-independent, and cheap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast