BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Primarchs in Vanilla 40K Games

Hi, guys. I was wondering if anyone was planning on using primarchs in non-HH games, and if that was expressly illegal under the rules. Of course, they'll eat up about 300-500 points of your army, and they'll be pretty OP against armies without primarchs, but I think it can still be do-able.

What should armies with primarchs look like? It would probably have to be near Apocalypse in points scale, maybe at least 2K-2500 points. For instance, I play Wolves, and it's safe to say that when the rules for Russ come out, he'll be in the neighborhood of 400 points. For troops, tack on 3 grey hunter squads and a squad of blood claws, all with upgrades, and you're already nearing 1500 points. Throw on a 10 man squad of WG termies, half CC and half shooty (plus Arjac), and you've busted 2K. Throw in a land raider crusader with multi melta and a squad of long fangs and you're just over 2500. Granted, other Wolves players, especially the more competitive ones, would build their list very differently than I would.

Has anyone else put thought into using primarchs in their 40K list?

Well, the Primarchs take up a special FOC slot which they share with some superheavies. If you want to use them in a balanced vanilla game, let your opponent take one of the smaller superheavies in their army, if they want.

Local tournament I played in at 2000 points recently one guy used the heresy army list and used Angron. He ranked 16/24. Although I heard he had some great moments, it's not an auto win button.

Chaplain

Be nice when the rules for Sanguinius come out, I'll be fielding all the Sang. Gaurd I got (35), Several Assault SQ's and if I remember to than some tac's and Termies and maybe a squad of Devastaters. Course anything without a jump pack will be coming in on storm ravens and thunderhawks. Yeah, I guess I'm thinking APOC. For smaller games I would Sanguinius with his gaurd and assault squads.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Chaplain

as much of a lore head as I am and I can see ways to balance this with other races I don't think I would take one my self in anything under 2k just dosen't seem right

As they are supposed to use a Lords of War slot on the FoC, that would help balance them and mean they are only used in big battles, throw enough bullets at them and they'd die, except for Horus

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    As they are supposed to use a Lords of War slot on the FoC, that would help balance them and mean they are only used in big battles, throw enough bullets at them and they'd die, except for Horus
    Actually, from the current bunch, it's Mortarion people will struggle to drop! So. Frikking. Tough! Re-rolls 'It Will Not Die' as well. And I think he refuses to pop his clogs on a better roll too. 'Orrible!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah, Mortarion is gross. Rerolling It Will Not Die is huge!

Where do I find the rules for Primarchs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmaril View Post
    Where do I find the rules for Primarchs?
    The Horus Heresy rule books from Forge World, so far they've released 4 in Betrayal, Horus, Angron, Fulgrim and Mortarion, the next book is probably out before Games Day and will be called Massacre, going by the models they've painted up and what they've said so far, we should expect rules for Night Haunter, Vulkan, Ferrus Manus and Lorgar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast