BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

The CH is blatant infringement, it's dragged out this long due to lawyers incompetence and geography.

The other stuff is heavy handed on GW parts and again incompetence, like you say if they're that concerned they should be plugging the leaks at source.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    [URL="http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512c/notice.cgi?NoticeID=928410"]DMCA takedown issued by GW to Google[/URL] about Faeit.
    This happens a lot. Google/Blogger takes the page in question to Draft status.

What doesn't usually happen is that the whole site disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The CH is blatant infringement...
    Tell me more about your law degree and expertise in international copyright law.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The CH is blatant infringement, it's dragged out this long due to lawyers incompetence and geography.

The other stuff is heavy handed on GW parts and again incompetence, like you say if they're that concerned they should be plugging the leaks at source.
    No no, everything GW does is evil!

You can legally just take the name of someones product and use it to sell yours without asking them, its fine, and you can copy what their models look like, and its style and if they've drawn some pictures of that a model would look like, you're fine to just use that and make and sell your own model of it.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by RealGenius View Post
    In a courtroom, yes, but GW using another county's law to file a DMCA request? Last I checked, you can't mix and match laws; DMCA specifies what it can be used for and I'm pretty sure it doesn't say "according to the laws in any country".

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Why anyone would still be on blogger is amazing to me.
    We all know Google's taken down procedure is a bit skewy, like wiping several YouTube channels, or other occassions where it has been over zealous.

There is no mix and matching, the file is in accourdance with the US law. If that fails, then they can argue fair use using a favourable law system either US or E&W.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Tell me more about your law degree and expertise in international copyright law.
    Or his eyes

Banned

This happens a lot. Google/Blogger takes the page in question to Draft status.

What doesn't usually happen is that the whole site disappears.

True, but it could be that Blogger has disabled his site due to repeated infractions violating ToS - they close YouTube channels for similar reasons and other (non-wargaming) blogs have also gone dodo for multiple breaches. To quote Blogger's ToS page:

We respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement and terminate accounts of repeat infringers according to the process set out in the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Initiate

Quote for truth!

Quote Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
    I don't know why this is so hard for so many people.

1. GW are not the Devil. Seriously, can we just get this one.
    2. Every publication has a copyright notice at the bottom that tells you it is forbidden to reprint or repost parts or wholes of the publication unless given express permission. This goes for My Little Pony colouring books too. And I'm pretty sure Hasbro sends out DMCA's to offending websites.
    3. GW is not the Evil Mega-Corp so many of you so desparately want it to be.
    4. Posting photographs or pages of Codices, FW books, or WDs is simply not allowed. It's not p*ssing on your audience, it's basic copyright protection.
    5. People keep whining, but they keep on buying.

I hear so many people whining that GW need to get with the times. But they have gotten with the times. Wargaming is not a niche anymore. It is a multi-million pound industry. And that requires - as much as you hate it - strict IP protection.

It's not GW who needs to get with the times, it's 'you' - the crusty old gamer that still thinks we should be sittingin dark corners slapping Humbrol oil paint on naff-looking tin soldiers.

And yeah, as has been said, if I created something cool, which was posted online before I was ready to show off, I would be damn annoyed as well, and would seek retribution.

Posting WD pictures is not free advertising for GW. It is stripping away their own abilities to market their product. THEY control the marketing for their products, not YOU.

Grow up, get with the times, have a little respect for basic laws, and take some damn responsibility for what amounts basically to re-printing copyrighted media. It's not cool.

Also, GW is not the Devil you want it to be.

Hating GW makes you cool, because its cool to go against the mainstream, even when the mainstream is pretty small and niche itself.

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Brother Cain View Post
    I love this bit... If you really knew what you were talking about, paragraphs like this would not reach the page. If the Chapterhouse controversy were cut and dry, it would not still be in court after 2 years. GW periodically throws its weight around and bad things happen. Look at the Space Marine controversy. GW does have rights, the problem is that they seem to not want to deal with real problems when protecting their rights. Naftka is a small blog with a decent following. He did not take those pics; he just posted them.

If GW was really interested in protecting their IP, they would look at the printers and figure out who is snapping unreleased book pics. Or maybe not release a book in a different country a week before the rest of the world. This is just a bullying tactic, much like the Chapterhouse case was when it was started. The difference there is GW thought they wouldn't get a fight, and boy were they wrong. This WILL come back to bite them. Tactics like this does nothing to garner support, and since the ONLY marketing GW has is through their WD magazine AND word of mouth, its is a stupid marketing decision to remove the word of mouth sources that generate more word of mouth.

I can honestly say that I have not been able to introduce one new player to the game, that has played longer than a couple months, in the past couple years. Between the expense of the models, lackluster rulesets, and a genuine disgust with the endless parade of attacks on both private and commercial interests, I just cannot push their product anymore. The game just isn't fun anymore.

its just control, thats all. They want to control every single aspect of their game/company. Thats why I fully expect them to be mail order only in less than 5 years.

We find it so strange because for the most part, other companies dont act like this. Why would you want to restrict online sales? or make it difficult for stores to carry your product? Can you imagine if apple "defended its IP" in the same way?

I cant believe this doesnt hurt profits. (notice I didnt say sales) People quit over this stuff and I cant imagine who has the money to buy into GW stuff nowadays. It cant be kids.

I agree with you Cain, I havent seen more than 2 40k players in a long time. People have shifted to other games and find the experience cheaper and more enjoyable.

The GW apologists though, are getting as bad as EA apologists....

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast