BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    Thats not what GW have done though, they've worked out how many customers they can lose by increasing prices and still increase profits, this has worked for them and the earnings reports show that.
    well you don't know that, the price has gone up steadily each year.

as EG says, they have done incredibly well in the current climate, though a lot of similar hobbies that might be stereotypically viewed as big boys toys, such as Hornby, airfix, radio controlled vehicles etc. have all proven fairly recession proof at the moment. middle aged, middle class men with disposable income have driven a lot of sales. I was in my local hobby store just after Christmas a a guy was looking at a radio controlled helicopter, he asked how much it was, staff said £450. wife walks out looking horrified, man nods and goes 'hmm very nice, might get one of those.'

Privateer Press' plastic models are resin too. technically, chemically etc. yes they are plastic, but a very different thing for hobbyists, and not nearly as good to work with as GW plastic.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Surely the optimum price from your argument would have seen a stabilisation of volume, and higher increase in profit.
    Not when their business plan was about stabalising costs not volume of sales.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Just a gentle nudge that this is rapidly dissolving into a GW pricing discussion, there are plenty of threads on that topic.
    Well what are we meant to talk about when GW goes around shutting down our sources of news and rumours?

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I try to use only the countries officially published figures or oecd data rather than peoples experainces so as to avoid any selection bias of peoples experiances, as generally, people have friends and live near people who are in the same socio-economic group, i.e. people in similiar employment status.

For instance if I did the survey of people living london oand the same in the north east (of England) the average salary difference is somewhere in the region of 7/8k, then narrow that down to towns/areas within those differences become even larger.
    I know exactly what you're trying to say. as an anthropologist I understand these schematics all too well :P
    Still, the sad fact remains that when you look at the standard "grey bloke" while pulling out all the high paid CEO's / managers etc. in every time GW bumps the price here, more and more people leave the hobby. Especially if you consider that GW is doing something strange in my country:
    after many years they have decided to open a hobby center ( 1.. ONE... even tho we have more independent stockists than most similar sized countries)... most of the gamers (for at least a decade) have been highschool kids / students (guess how high their income is ) and at the same time they are raising prices... so where's the sense of expanding the market in a coutry where you're killing your own business by increasing the prie tags above the reach of the main target group?

I don't know why this is so hard for so many people.

1. GW are not the Devil. Seriously, can we just get this one.
    2. Every publication has a copyright notice at the bottom that tells you it is forbidden to reprint or repost parts or wholes of the publication unless given express permission. This goes for My Little Pony colouring books too. And I'm pretty sure Hasbro sends out DMCA's to offending websites.
    3. GW is not the Evil Mega-Corp so many of you so desparately want it to be.
    4. Posting photographs or pages of Codices, FW books, or WDs is simply not allowed. It's not p*ssing on your audience, it's basic copyright protection.
    5. People keep whining, but they keep on buying.

I hear so many people whining that GW need to get with the times. But they have gotten with the times. Wargaming is not a niche anymore. It is a multi-million pound industry. And that requires - as much as you hate it - strict IP protection.

It's not GW who needs to get with the times, it's 'you' - the crusty old gamer that still thinks we should be sittingin dark corners slapping Humbrol oil paint on naff-looking tin soldiers.

And yeah, as has been said, if I created something cool, which was posted online before I was ready to show off, I would be damn annoyed as well, and would seek retribution.

Posting WD pictures is not free advertising for GW. It is stripping away their own abilities to market their product. THEY control the marketing for their products, not YOU.

Grow up, get with the times, have a little respect for basic laws, and take some damn responsibility for what amounts basically to re-printing copyrighted media. It's not cool.

Also, GW is not the Devil you want it to be.

Banned

They're not the Evil Mega-Corp we want, they're the Evil Mega-Corp we deserve?

Quote Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
    I don't know why this is so hard for so many people.

1. GW are not the Devil. Seriously, can we just get this one.
    2. Every publication has a copyright notice at the bottom that tells you it is forbidden to reprint or repost parts or wholes of the publication unless given express permission. This goes for My Little Pony colouring books too. And I'm pretty sure Hasbro sends out DMCA's to offending websites.
    3. GW is not the Evil Mega-Corp so many of you so desparately want it to be.
    4. Posting photographs or pages of Codices, FW books, or WDs is simply not allowed. It's not p*ssing on your audience, it's basic copyright protection.
    5. People keep whining, but they keep on buying.

I hear so many people whining that GW need to get with the times. But they have gotten with the times. Wargaming is not a niche anymore. It is a multi-million pound industry. And that requires - as much as you hate it - strict IP protection.

It's not GW who needs to get with the times, it's 'you' - the crusty old gamer that still thinks we should be sittingin dark corners slapping Humbrol oil paint on naff-looking tin soldiers.

And yeah, as has been said, if I created something cool, which was posted online before I was ready to show off, I would be damn annoyed as well, and would seek retribution.

Posting WD pictures is not free advertising for GW. It is stripping away their own abilities to market their product. THEY control the marketing for their products, not YOU.

Grow up, get with the times, have a little respect for basic laws, and take some damn responsibility for what amounts basically to re-printing copyrighted media. It's not cool.

Also, GW is not the Devil you want it to be.
    Amen to this guy.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

Ohhh this is troubling... Faeit was my only link newswise to the hobby anymore... and with Tabletop Fix taking preemptive measures, that's even MORE worrying. Seems like a massive shot in the foot by GW so far.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Well what are we meant to talk about when GW goes around shutting down our sources of news and rumours?
    Breasts?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Breasts?
    sounds good to me, PMs are best though, don't want the boys involved
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast