BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

True but under the Benre convention you can hold people accountable to your own law.
    It is similiar to the way the GW & CHS case was held under English & Welsh law by an US judge in the US.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by RealGenius View Post
    I'd say Wyrd is doing pretty well with their 3D renders and high quality plastics.
    Thanks for cherry picking parts of what I wrote that you think you can counter.

Anyway, as I said, they don't have the infastructure to compete on any serious level. And their 3D renders look nothing like their plastics. Its ridiculous, they even show the renders on the box, and inside are plastic lumps that looking rubbish in comparison, no company out there can make plastic kits that even begin to compare with GW.
    Last edited by OrksOrksOrks; 04-30-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Banned

It is kinda funny that we are all assuming this is a copyright/take-down when I don't think that has been definitively shown. (BoLS doesn't have any notices listed at chillingeffects.org, so taking down the site seems harsh for a first offender.)

[URL="http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512c/notice.cgi?NoticeID=928410"]DMCA takedown issued by GW to Google[/URL] about Faeit.

1. Complainant's Information
    Name:
    Company name: Games Workshop Limited
    Full legal name of the copyright holder: Games Workshop Limited
    Country of residence: GB

2. Your copyrighted work
    Location of copyrighted work (where your authorized work is located):

The copyrighted work is the contents of the
    unreleased 'White Dwarf' magazine (ISSN: 0265-8712) produced by Games
    Workshop Limited and due for release on 27th April 2013.

Description of the copyrighted work:

The magazine content and images are
    protected by copyright and Games Workshop Limited does not give permission
    for it to be displayed on the Faeit212 Blog. The blog is displaying
    photographic copies of the pages of the magazine. The 19 photos of magazine
    pages in the body of the blog post infringe.

I believe BoLS current stance is technical issues, as last thing stated was there has been no communications - DMCA or otherwise - about the outage.

It is kinda funny that we are all assuming this is a copyright/take-down when I don't think that has been definitively shown.
    Its been over 12 hours. Other Blogger sites are working. If it quacks like a duck.....

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    At the end of the day, GW is a business, if you can't afford GW games, thats not their problem and they have no requirement to cater to you. They do let sites make resin bits, why would they mind that, if someone sells resin helmets for space marines, they have to buy some space marines to put them on, what they do mind, and what chapter house studios did, was delibertly infringe on what GW saw as its IP, by copying their army insignia and style and also by using the trademarked names of their units.
    I love this bit... If you really knew what you were talking about, paragraphs like this would not reach the page. If the Chapterhouse controversy were cut and dry, it would not still be in court after 2 years. GW periodically throws its weight around and bad things happen. Look at the Space Marine controversy. GW does have rights, the problem is that they seem to not want to deal with real problems when protecting their rights. Naftka is a small blog with a decent following. He did not take those pics; he just posted them.

If GW was really interested in protecting their IP, they would look at the printers and figure out who is snapping unreleased book pics. Or maybe not release a book in a different country a week before the rest of the world. This is just a bullying tactic, much like the Chapterhouse case was when it was started. The difference there is GW thought they wouldn't get a fight, and boy were they wrong. This WILL come back to bite them. Tactics like this does nothing to garner support, and since the ONLY marketing GW has is through their WD magazine AND word of mouth, its is a stupid marketing decision to remove the word of mouth sources that generate more word of mouth.

I can honestly say that I have not been able to introduce one new player to the game, that has played longer than a couple months, in the past couple years. Between the expense of the models, lackluster rulesets, and a genuine disgust with the endless parade of attacks on both private and commercial interests, I just cannot push their product anymore. The game just isn't fun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    True but under the Benre convention you can hold people accountable to your own law.
    It is similiar to the way the GW & CHS case was held under English & Welsh law by an US judge in the US.
    In a courtroom, yes, but GW using another county's law to file a DMCA request? Last I checked, you can't mix and match laws; DMCA specifies what it can be used for and I'm pretty sure it doesn't say "according to the laws in any country".

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Why anyone would still be on blogger is amazing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Brother Cain View Post
    I love this bit... If you really knew what you were talking about, paragraphs like this would not reach the page. If the Chapterhouse controversy were cut and dry, it would not still be in court after 2 years. GW periodically throws its weight around and bad things happen. Look at the Space Marine controversy. GW does have rights, the problem is that they seem to not want to deal with real problems when protecting their rights. Naftka is a small blog with a decent following. He did not take those pics; he just posted them.

If GW was really interested in protecting their IP, they would look at the printers and figure out who is snapping unreleased book pics. Or maybe not release a book in a different country a week before the rest of the world. This is just a bullying tactic, much like the Chapterhouse case was when it was started. The difference there is GW thought they wouldn't get a fight, and boy were they wrong. This WILL come back to bite them. Tactics like this does nothing to garner support, and since the ONLY marketing GW has is through their WD magazine AND word of mouth, its is a stupid marketing decision to remove the word of mouth sources that generate more word of mouth.

I can honestly say that I have not been able to introduce one new player to the game, that has played longer than a couple months, in the past couple years. Between the expense of the models, lackluster rulesets, and a genuine disgust with the endless parade of attacks on both private and commercial interests, I just cannot push their product anymore. The game just isn't fun anymore.
    Bye then

Quote Originally Posted by Docmani View Post
    Its been over 12 hours. Other Blogger sites are working. If it quacks like a duck.....
    Normally DMCA take downs are only specific posts and Google notifies the owner. This doesn't fit the patterns of existing DMCA take-downs, so maybe it is a different kind of duck or maybe it is a crow. (I've always thought they kinda sound like ducks.)

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    Bye then
    Funny that BBCain created a new account just to post that, eh?

Normally DMCA take downs are only specific posts and Google notifies the owner. This doesn't fit the patterns of existing DMCA take-downs, so maybe it is a different kind of duck or maybe it is a crow. (I've always thought they kinda sound like ducks.)
    The DMCA take down that GW filed was for the specific post, GW haven't done anything to close down the blog, Google may have in the face of repeated DMCA requests every time he posts up scans of White Dwarf

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast