BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by glayvin34 View Post
    Soooo...
    Did GW just directly attack their most enthusiastic fans for showing early pics of White Dwarf? I don't think that's going to prevent folks from seeing those pics or generate more fans.
    Seems more likely an overreaction by the service provider, pulling the sites rather than just removing the comments. It's a fairly standard reaction that we've seen before when legal notices start flying. They don't ask for the sites to be taken down anywhere in there, just for the specific material to be removed.

Of course, if they didn't ask the blog owners nicely first and get refused before throwing legal notices around then yeah, that makes them dicks ;-)

Scout

Could be a case of someone interpreting "remove the content" to be remove the page the content was on. Still, it should be possible for the pages to come back with either a new host or the same one without the aforementioned copyrighted materials. Unless I'm missing some of the finer points of web hosting...

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_B View Post

Of course, if they didn't ask the blog owners nicely first and get refused before throwing legal notices around then yeah, that makes them dicks ;-)
    Actually, they do.

Apocalypse40K got a DMCA ([url]http://chillingeffects.org/dmca512c/notice.cgi?NoticeID=918221[/url]), but his blog is still up. Only had to scrap the one post.

Faeit212 was given the same treatment the last, dunno-how-many-times.

I remember his Fantasy Warriors of Chaos post going down in January ([url]http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512c/notice.cgi?NoticeID=786609[/url])

Even older DMCAs : [url]http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512c/notice.cgi?NoticeID=668987[/url]

Right or wrong, this one wasn't the first, or out of the blue. Faeit212 had those letters before and he knew GW was taking action (and Google non to pleased).
    Share your best miniature and wargaming pictures and videos at www.pinsofwar.net

Chaplain

GW need to get with the times already and start revealing their future releases online and not in a monthly magazine that only their most dedicated fans are going to buy. seriously, I've only bought the most recent White Dwarfs because of sites like Faeit212 have shown me what's coming up. White Dwarf should be an extension of the hobby not a method to bring in more customers because I'm pretty sure people today aren't going to throw £5.50 at a hobby magazine they know nothing about (and hell the magazine is written for the more seasoned hobbyist) rather then look at their website.

those 30+ pages they wasted having a model w*** could go towards actual hobby articles about making terrain or new rules for variations like Chapter Approved.
    Last edited by The Madman; 04-29-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by glayvin34 View Post
    Soooo...
    Did GW just directly attack their most enthusiastic fans for showing early pics of White Dwarf? I don't think that's going to prevent folks from seeing those pics or generate more fans.
    Pretty much. GW trying to put the internet in a box again.

The kicker is that these pics are FREE ADVERTISING for GW.

The only things posted are the model pics. The model pics are available at pre-order date at the GW website - there's nothing here that's against GW's best interests.

What a ****ty company that treats its biggest fans like this. In one year I've turned from the biggest GW fanboy to holding nothing but contempt for them. How much good have Natfka and BoLS done for the hobby that is GW's lifeblood - all for little to no return.

I'm just waiting until the usual GW apologists trot out and dole out the party line. Mr Mystery and Eldargal are first in line. Batter Up!
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Brother-Sergeant

And to think, we were JUST on the cusp of Eldar-rumor season....

Rules rumors are all well and good, but the loss of pics is a big downer

Quote Originally Posted by Zweischneid View Post
    Yeah. Apocalypse40K is gone too.
    Nope. My site is not down and hasn't been. See my post.

Alec
    Last edited by Loken; 04-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Fly Lord

Hi guys,

A formal heads up.

We are working with Blogger to figure out what's up with the frontpage.

The domain is fine, and the Lounge is (obviously) in fine shape.

We are still proceeding under the impresison that we are dealing with an internal Google IT issue.

We have received no takedown requests, or any emails from any parties regarding any IP related issues.

We are treating this outage as out top priority and working on it round the clock.

I can not speak to the outages of any 3rd party sites, or the timing involved with them.

Thanks and feel free to visit the Lounge even more in the hours ahead.

-Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

[URL="http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2013/04/bols-and-faeit212-down-faeit212-out.html"]http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2013/04/bols-and-faeit212-down-faeit212-out.html[/URL]

I just spoke to Larry, did a little research, and posted an article.

Alec
    Last edited by Loken; 04-29-2013 at 06:23 PM.

the notices I have received from Blogger are for individual posts, and declares that those particular posts are removed to draft status. Nothing from either Games Workshop or Blogger about the removal of the blog itself.

I will continue posting, and things will continue. so stay tuned.
    until then I will be posting up on my youtube channel.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast