BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Idk you could argue that the years the hobby were in expansion coincided with the roll-out of cheap pc and internet access.
    And the declining sales volumes mean they've passed the optimum price point, but that's another argument...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    Why are people getting thier panties in a bunch blaming GW when Natfka himself has said they asked him to remove pages and he's done that. GW were right and correct to set a DMCA for this, he posted pictures of their magazine!

You know... while the law / regulations might allow them to do so.. try to looking at it from a logical point of view:
    - he doesn't get any profit from it ( he's not selling it / charging people for looking at them)
    - he posted a few example images, if you want to read the articles / know the details you still need to buy it
    - he gave their product free advertisement ( look at this awesome stuff. you can see more of it in WD = go buy it )

In the same manner GW should sue everybody talking about anything they haven't released it. Whatever name they have TM'ed, you should pay them every time you say it... because it's their property. What about fan art? People who include their drawings / paintings / animations in their portfolio's and get jobs as artist based on that? As stupid as it sounds, in some countries the law makes it possible for GW to sue these people for using copyrighted images. While understandable in some cases, recently GW has started throwing lawsuits and claming copyright enfrenchment at a ridiculous rate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82 She Will Eat Your Soul .jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	3959omg new WD!

Name:	0893e0dc-bdca-4189-a0fc-20d545cf4aa5_thumb.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	3960...we'll boycott GW cuz weer smarder then thim!

Name:	whoopdee.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	3961....more of the same.
    Last edited by Eric French; 04-30-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Occuli Imperator

I did a price comparison between average (median) reported income and the price of the tactical squad for the countries that GW sells to directly and while there is some variation, it is largely of a similiar ratio especially when one considers extral factors such as local tax and £/other value fluctuations ([url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?29346-Price-Comparisons&highlight=wolfshade+cost+poland[/url])
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarius View Post
    You know... while the law / regulations might allow them to do so.. try to looking at it from a logical point of view:
    - he doesn't get any profit from it ( he's not selling it / charging people for looking at them)
    - he posted a few example images, if you want to read the articles / know the details you still need to buy it
    - he gave their product free advertisement ( look at this awesome stuff. you can see more of it in WD = go buy it )

In the same manner GW should sue everybody talking about anything they haven't released it. Whatever name they have TM'ed, you should pay them every time you say it... because it's their property. What about fan art? People who include their drawings / paintings / animations in their portfolio's and get jobs as artist based on that? As stupid as it sounds, in some countries the law makes it possible for GW to sue these people for using copyrighted images. While understandable in some cases, recently GW has started throwing lawsuits and claming copyright enfrenchment at a ridiculous rate.
    It doesn't matter if he's doing it for profit, he's doing it and they're asking him not to, they're within their rights to do that as they own it.

Say you drew a great picture and you were really proud of it and couldn't wait to show it off once it was finished? Then a blog showed everyone else the picture before you were ready, you'd be annoyed and ask the blog to take down the picture, same thing really. Doesn't matter if its "free advertisment", it wasn't asked for and they've specifically asked him to stop before, I love Natfka and I read his site and I still would if all the rumour mill stuff disappeared becuase he does interesting things like blog shares and guest articles now.

At the end of the day, GW is a business, if you can't afford GW games, thats not their problem and they have no requirement to cater to you. They do let sites make resin bits, why would they mind that, if someone sells resin helmets for space marines, they have to buy some space marines to put them on, what they do mind, and what chapter house studios did, was delibertly infringe on what GW saw as its IP, by copying their army insignia and style and also by using the trademarked names of their units.

As much as you want to believe that GW is the big bad, they're not, they're a hobby company making cool models for us to collect, you're not happy because you can't afford all the models you want, but newsflash, you'd never be able to afford all the models you wanted, if Tactical Squads were $5 you'd still complain because you wanted 3 whole chapters but could only afford 2. Their business is about making you want thier stuff, you'll always want more and they need to make sure you're never saited in that desire otherwise you'll stop buying.

They're entitled to do this, people buy White Dwarf to see the new units, its one of the reasons it still sells, so doing this has a genuine financial impact on GW

Librarian

Actually the law doesn't allow him to comment on a product not out yet. The comes from a common law perspective where a journalist got hold of a film before release and said it was rubbish because he had seen the unfinished version. So yes once the WD has been released and so have the miniatures feel free to discuss but until then the law won't help you.

Battle-Brother

I guess one of the issues is that the blogs featured advertisements, too - it is easy for GW to argue that they used leaked images to generate traffic they profited from.

Anyway, if you post leaked pictures you have to be aware that it can have repercussions.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I did a price comparison between average (median) reported income and the price of the tactical squad for the countries that GW sells to directly and while there is some variation, it is largely of a similiar ratio especially when one considers extral factors such as local tax and £/other value fluctuations ([url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?29346-Price-Comparisons&highlight=wolfshade+cost+poland[/url])
    Well then I can just say one thing: (at least in my country) "average" is about 3 times (and often even more) as much as most people earn. If I earn some 400 quid a month and have to pay bills + buy food / clothes and other every day expences then even a single tactical box starts to become a big deal... not to mention a battleforce / batalion.

True enough, as my mentioned in that post.. it's much more difficult for people from my country to afford GW products... Some people here have missed that point... the fact that I've been repeating in each one of my posts, I'm saying how things look from my / my friend's perspective. If the people in the US / UK don't have a big problem with how GW acts, good for them.. too bad that they can't understand that others have it much harded and that's where the bitter comments come from.
    Last edited by Alvarius; 04-30-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Idk you could argue that the years the hobby were in expansion coincided with the roll-out of cheap pc and internet access.
    And the declining sales volumes mean they've passed the optimum price point, but that's another argument...
    No it doesn't, because declining sales with increased profits means they're moving towards the optimum price point, they're makinf more money at less cost, thats the optimum, why would they care if gamers are buying fewer models if they're making more money from those gamers?

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarius View Post
    Well then I can just say one thing: (at least in my country) "average" is about 3 times (and often even more) as much as most people earn. If I earn some 400 quid a month and have to pay bills + buy food / clothes and other every day expences then even a single tactical box starts to become a big deal... not to mention a battleforce / batalion.
    I think you're confused about that the word average means?

Its not GWs fault you can't afford their space mans, they're making more profit selling space mans to people who can afford it than they did making sure you could buy space mans. Do you really think they should drop the price of space mans and make less money so that you can afford to buy more space mans? If you can't afford a box of space marines every month, buy one every 2 months.
    Last edited by OrksOrksOrks; 04-30-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast