BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

No it doesn't it suggests they've passed it. As there's a point were you will make far more through volume sales at a lower price point, eg minecraft and terraria when they were at a reduced price on steam, sales were reported to have gone up tenfold but they weren't a tenth of the price, -> more profit.

I'd respectfully suggest that's a translation issue, and he probably means the average is artificially skewed by a small pool of high earners.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    I think you're confused about that the word average means?
    Or it might be a matter of language barier. English (obviously) isn't my first language, and having a gf from the US we came up across plenty of words that while used as equivalents, are understood differently. Here the average pay is calculated:
    desk worker - 1000$
    CEO - 9000$
    avg pay = 5000$
    Its not GWs fault you can't afford their space mans, they're making more profit selling space mans to people who can afford it than they did making sure you could buy space mans.
    true enough. At the same time, doesn't mean that I have to be happy or even remain unfazed when I see that my fav hobby, which I was able to afford for years, is now moving more and more out of my reach year after year.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    I'd respectfully suggest that's a translation issue, and he probably means the average is artificially skewed by a small pool of high earners.
    Exactly. Thx for understanding my broken English

Occuli Imperator

I think you're confused about that the word average means?

Its not GWs fault you can't afford their space mans, they're making more profit selling space mans to people who can afford it than they did making sure you could buy space mans.
    No, no. He could be quite right, if the average were a mean and not a median. In employment stats very high salaries quite often significantly effect the average salary.

E.g. (from 2003-04 UK stats) median salary for 50-54 £17.2k, mean salary for 50-54 £24.5k.

IIRC though the OECD uses the median
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarius View Post
    Exactly. Thx for understanding my broken English
    No worries. Just apply common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    No, no. He could be quite right, if the average were a mean and not a median. In employment stats very high salaries quite often significantly effect the average salary.

E.g. (from 2003-04 UK stats) median salary for 50-54 £17.2k, mean salary for 50-54 £24.5k.

Oh i know, I was just being faesitious because of the way he phrased it.

Chapter-Master

true enough. At the same time, doesn't mean that I have to be happy or even remain unfazed when I see that my fav hobby, which I was able to afford for years, is now moving more and more out of my reach year after year.
    I agree with this bit, I haven't bought any models for months now.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

No it doesn't it suggests they've passed it. As there's a point were you will make far more through volume sales at a lower price point, eg minecraft and terraria when they were at a reduced price on steam, sales were reported to have gone up tenfold but they weren't a tenth of the price, -> more profit.

Thats exactly my point though, in their business, the lower price point hasn't lead to higher profits, more sales, yes, but not higher profits.

Using games isn't a good analogy for volume sales, once a computer game is written, its done, making new copies of games that only exist as data (like the 2 examples you mentioned) has negligable costs, so selling at any price will lead to a profit, and then if you increase sales ten fold, you will get an increase, there are no logisitics to take into account, so anything that generates sales is still going to lead to a profit.

GW operates its own manufacture supply and retail chain, an increase in sales actually costs more in logistics to supply those products to customers, so a ten fold increase in sales wouldn't equate to a ten fold increase in profits.

They're found an optimum for them, not for the customer. They're making more profits than ever before even though they're selling fewer products.

More profit is the optimum situation for the business.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

In your survey you showed that for a tactical box we have to work an everage of just over 5 hours.. Here's a reality check (in a pure friendly way ) in most cases people here earn between 1-2£ per hour.. so that puts us at a point when you have to work for 10-11 hours for a single tactical squad. this is why so many people here are pissed by the prices going up.

No worries. Just apply common sense
    Trying, but sometimes it's really hard and frustrating when you're hitting a "wall" :/

Oh i know, I was just being faesitious because of the way he phrased it.
    I phrased it as best as I could since english isn't my first language and it's not always easy to get a point through clearly, especially when it comes to economic issues.

Chapter-Master

I'll accept you couldn't reduce as low for fixed costs reasons but, there will be an optimum point that will be a peak on a graph, and by being in decline they have passed that point.
    You can't continue though as if sales continue to decline, prices will have to go up again, possibly hastening the decline and it becomes a vicious cycle, sustainable profit is surely the optimum for a business, not a short term profit for a limited time?

Trying, but sometimes it's really hard and frustrating when you're hitting a "wall" :/
    I meant I was applying it, don't worry my polish is awful...(none existent)
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 04-30-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast