BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default GW's Behavior Already Backfiring

This morning [URL="http://ttfix.blogspot.com/2013/04/public-service-announcement_30.html"]Tabletop FIX issued this[/URL]:

Public Service Announcement
    As a precaution I pulled all articles dealing with GW, Forgeworld, Warhammer Forge, WH40K and WHFB from the blog.

I will no longer feature any news directly related to GW or Forgeworld on TTFix for the forseeable future.
    So already folks are beginning to move away from covering Games Workshop. Just remember folks, less coverage of GW products is good - right??? As far as I can tell, this entire tempest in a teacup is about protecting that paragon of publishing - White Dwarf.

Have at it folks!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Saw that post this morning and chuckled a little bit.

Lets just say this GW,

I've been playing the game of 40k for 20 years now. I'm more inclined to give up the hobby entirely and move on to one of your competitors' products (Maybe then I could actually play against someone other than one person at my LGS too) than I would be in getting my news from WD.

Stuff it in your pipe and smoke it. I'm perilously close to blowing the $1000 I have saved away for the Eldar release on parts for my boat instead.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

These are market principle at work. Excellent! GW likes money? Simple rule, DON'T F&^K WITH YOUR MARKET BASE.
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession

Many people attribute the quote, "there is no such thing as bad publicity," to Barnum, although there is no proof he is the author. Games Workshop apparently never heard it or chooses not to believe it. I agree that all this nonsense on their part is about their White Dwarf magazine, but I think it is more about "covering their arses" because the magazine isn't really competitive in the market.

It goes like this:

BIGGER BOSSES: "I thought you geniuses said this magazine was going to make some money and work as a good advertisement. You pushed all these stupid revamps that cost us even more money and we aren't seeing any damn return on it."

IDIOTS & BAD MANAGERS: "We were correct sir. It isn't bad managment or bad ideas. It is these parasites on the internet. The magazine would be doing great if everything in it wasn't leaked beforehand. People would be standing in line to buy it."

BIGGER BOSSES: "What about these complaints about it lacking any real content and it being nothing but a catalog we ask the consumer to pay for on a monthly basis? Is there any merit to that?"

IDIOTS & BAD MANAGERS: "Of course not Sir. It is all these nameless, faceless criminals on the net. They have nothing better to do than demonize us. All we have to do is crack down on them and the process will work the way it is supposed to do. The magazine has plenty to draw people to it... the best stuff just keeps getting stolen."

BIGGER BOSSES: "Ok, I guess that sounds reasonable. What about the fact that magazines and print in general is taking a hit? Could it be that we should just cut this magazine out altogether? We don't actually need it do we? Couldn't we do all this on a website for less? I mean even paying you guys to run/create this magazine is a total waste of money if you don't actually provide some kind of return in good publicity, let alone pay for yourselves?"

IDIOTS & BAD MANAGERS: "Perish the though Sir. Our magazine brings countless new players into the game. We are the heart and soul of the hobby! Our numbers (places in house generated numbers before them) show how important the magazine continuing are in fact to the very survival of the company. That is why we need to double down on it!"

BIG BOSSES: "Again that sounds reasonable. It sounds much better to tell the stockholders that criminals are hurting sales than to admit that we hired you idiots and bad managers... which in turns shows we are also idiots and bad managers. Call legal. Release the hounds!"

That is i-n-s-a-n-e! People are not allowed to talk about GWs products in unrelated Blogs? Ridiculous. If a WD would not be 8 bucks a piece, maybe I would be inclined to get one once in a while...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post

Lets just say this GW,

I've been playing the game of 40k for 20 years now. I'm more inclined to give up the hobby entirely and move on to one of your competitors' products (Maybe then I could actually play against someone other than one person at my LGS too) than I would be in getting my news from WD.

Stuff it in your pipe and smoke it. I'm perilously close to blowing the $1000 I have saved away for the Eldar release on parts for my boat instead.
    I hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree with you. You know, I can tolerate a lot of cr@p from a company, unless it effects me directly. Charge too much? That's ok, I'll just buy less. Your magazine mostly sucks? That's ok, I just won't read it. Sue left and right and act like a big copyright bully? To a certain extent, I can blame it on a hyperactive legal team. To a further extent, I can tolerate a certain degree of a$s-hattery from a company, because every corporation has its sins.

The thing is that this hobby is fun because its full of user-driven media and user-created content. I like being able to read up on stuff before its released. GW's behavior is starting to seriously crimp my style.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Look up King Canute (the king who thought he could turn back the tide through sheer force of will). That pretty much seems to sum up GW's approach at the moment, although it's worth pointing out that they are not alone in this, lots of companies are struggling with digital age. I really like GW's products (at least most of them the new daemon khorne chariot is a notable exception) and all the people connected with the company I've actually met have been great but sometimes they seem to be just deluded.

Controlling the leaks out of the company is one thing (and I actually like the new release schedule now that I am used to it) but trying to put the digital genie back in the bottle once the pics are out is pretty laughable. As has been stated before, most companies would kill for the kind of active fanbase GW has.

Chapter-Master

Either GW is being the big corporate bully everyone knows and loves... Or all those people who are 'internet personalities' and highlight their importance because they manage to get a copy of WD/latest release early, and have a good crow and spoil the surprise for people who are 'mere mortals' and get their stuff on release day, have cocked it up for the rest of us.

Somewhere inbetween methinks.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

How available is the WD outside of GW stores? Over here (Canada) it was pulled from a bookstore for reasons which don't matter to my question/point. If you intend the mag to sell your miniatures and the hobby in general, does it do any good to prevent it's features from being available online. Sure I play GW's games, do you really need to sell the product to me. No, I know whats what. I know the mag isn't that great.
    Having it available in only one place has to cut into your sales. And if people don't have a glimpse of the product from anywhere, are they more inclined to come into your stores and buy it.

Default Might want to check this game out instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post

Lets just say this GW,

I am switching over to other games, like Ambush Alley Games Force on Force or Alien Dungeon's All Quiet on the Martian Front. [URL="http://www.martianfront.com"]www.martianfront.com[/URL] or [URL="http://aliendungeon.blogspot.com"]http://aliendungeon.blogspot.com[/URL] definitely different and high quality minis.
    Last edited by Nightfoxll; 04-30-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast