BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thundrchickn View Post
    I'd love to see some more focus on the star wars x wing game, warmahordes, dystopian wars, infinity, etc.
    I don't mean to be confrontational, but I don't believe you.

Places like this would vanish like a fart in the wind if they unilaterally stopped covering all GW products. GW products are basically the only reason blogs like this exist. I mean, it'd be great if somehow some other dark horse miniature company seized the moment and used all that extra free publicity for a big market segment grab, but that's not really how these things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I still feel like there has to be some way GW can still enforce their IP and not come off like bullies, but that would be what a competent PR department would be used for...
    Get the IP protection laws changed so that companies don't have to be so kneejerk when it comes to defending their property. However, there's way too much money on the Hollywood and recording industry side of that equation for the laws to change, so GW is just playing in the pool that the bigger boys created.

In this instance, though - a longer pre-release and info cycle would do wonders to making situations like this particular one disappear.
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    because GW refuses to even announce what their next codex is, let alone try and promote or market it until like the day before release.
    Actually, GW has a daily blog (except weekends) and the week before releases they make regular posts of models that they'll be releasing along with links back to preorder pages. It may surprise people to know this though as most people don't go to the GW site to view the models because so many other blogs post the leaked pictures, therefore severely limiting a possible marketing stream for GW.

This situation seems to sit more with Google taking Natfka down as a "serial offender" because if you look up the DCMA complaint (which you can view at chillingeffects.org), GW lists only the High Elf picture dump from last week as infringing on their rights to "first release," which is all they ask them to take down. Google is the one who decided to pull the entire site, probably because they receive complaints like this once a month or so.

So just because they don't market their stuff in a time frame that most people would prefer doesn't mean that they should lose their right to be able to post their copyright material first.

That being said, I do hope that Natfka's site comes back up soon as it's definitely one of my favorite on the web, but let's stop with the idea that GW is somehow running rough shod over some poor innocent here when anyone paying attention knew the risks at hand here.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    I don't mean to be confrontational, but I don't believe you.

Places like this would vanish like a fart in the wind if they unilaterally stopped covering all GW products. GW products are basically the only reason blogs like this exist. I mean, it'd be great if somehow some other dark horse miniature company seized the moment and used all that extra free publicity for a big market segment grab, but that's not really how these things work.

Specifically, 40k. Like I mentioned, that's the reason most people come here. BoLS is simply a 40k info site (and I love it).
    My blog is here: http://mordheimpdx.blogspot.com
    Emgee Studio Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/emgeestudio

It wouldn't though.

Going back a few years, GW was more forthcoming with the upcoming. And there were more leaks and stuff to boot.

Where has all the hush hush come from? Hard to say exactly. None of us here know, though of doesn't stop people slagging off such decisions, and posting up ludicrously paranoid theories they are quick to pass off as truth.

As for back firing? Not at all sure it has. Take steps against a few, and more clam up? Saves time and money, greater success..... I'd say its worked pretty well, regardless of whether or not you think it's a good idea.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Beasts of War seems to do just fine with a broader range of coverage. Maybe if BOLS spent this downtime catering to other games, those games could make some more money to reinvest and really give GW a run for its money after producing better models. We can almost unilaterally agree GW makes the best models but maybe these other companies could get in their if they get the right funding to advance their production abilities. I admit that I come here mostly for 40k news articles but that doesn't mean I dont check out these new games that get a blurb or read strategy/introduction articles for other games. I'd love dystopian wars to become more popular because it's a better game imo compared to 40k. The rules are horribly laid out but it's much better with the rule summaries that are available on Spartan Games forums.

Chapter-Master

I thought it was widely agreed that a lot of GW policy is linked to their deal with New Line for LotR bollocks - ie no sales, no big box deals (Leman Russ Companies) and no early previews. Maybe it don't apply to 40K and maybe GW (a profit making retailer in a recession) have assessed that it is better to apply the restrictions across the entire range.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Are people really serious about this?

Lets see, FEIT knows that the products they are "spoiling" are guarded IP, they have been warned before by GW. Then GW sent the DMCA to Google who owns Blogger (what FEIT uses) and GOOGLE shut down FEIT because google wont risk being sued over one stupid site that has been warned plenty of times.

People who want to blame GW for protecting there information clearly dont have any understanding of business or the law for that matter.

And the people who are planning on leaving the game or making there own models over this are crazy as well. All that will do is hurt your FLGS, wont be hurt one bit by a few angry people leaving the game, but your FLGS WILL BE. You dont have to agree with everything that GW does, I know I think the price increase gets nuts some times. But to get mad at them for protecting there own property?

I really hope that the people who are mad about this some day get to the point where they produce some IP that people are willing to pay for and then someone steals it from you! Then come crying to the masses!

I guess you could call this a (very mild) conspiracy theory, but at this point I'd assume it was more like common sense. The reason GW doesn't release any information on its new products until the 11th hour is because the Eye of Sauron is fixed on Rivendell... I mean impulse buys.

They are really into this marketing tactic all the way. They're not terribly interested in promoting products very far out, they don't want you to know whats coming. They don't want you saving your money for the stuff you really want and know is coming in a few months, they want your money right now. They want those pre-orders. They want a big flashy image on their website with a "BUY NOW DO IT" button on it.

I really can't fathom how this is supposed to affect long term sales in the slightest, but I guess they're all in on this tactic and they don't seem keen on changing it.

This is likely just an offshoot of their target demographic. Its for the same reason that we inexplicably have 17 different flavors of Space Marine, because kids love that shiz yo. They figure they've all ready got all the old timers in the bag and whatever money we'll fling their way will come regardless, what they're really focused on is the initial impulse buy in that happens around Christmas time. The recent rapid fire releases with little to no lead up time are just extensions of that, in effect they're trying to reproduce Christmas every month.

There's really no downside for them I guess, since there's really no competition. You can go on about the merits of the other wargame manufacturers, but no matter how bad it gets you'll never get me to play warmahordes for the same reason you'll never see me sporting a Zune. It might be better in certain respects, but ultimately what you're faced with is something wholly derivative and less supported due to its lack of popularity. If I've got to put up with BS, I'd rather have that BS straight from the original Bull.
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 04-30-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Makes sense.

After all, this is a hobby where impulse is King. A single purchase can lead to an army for many Hobbyists, old and new.

Showing stuff off early means the impulse fades. That equates to lost sales opportunities.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast