BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    It seems that this issue has been over looked.

Also, with all due respect BigRed, I am not sure that this is "40k General" perhaps the corporate section would be better.
    But that would require people to scroll all the way down to wherever that is. There are WAAAYYY too many subforums in this place.

Quote Originally Posted by End of the World View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what would GW have to do to anger you? They've already (Apparently) shut down a fan site that you enjoy (BOLS) and participate on, so I'm just wondering how many more toes one would have to step on before you consider it offensive. I'm not asking this to be critical of you as a stalwart GW fan but to try to understand the mind of the most hardcore fans.
    What would it take for GW to anger me?.... Well, it would have to be pretty severe. Because you see, in my life, my primary concerns are, in no particular order... 1. Getting to and from work. 2. Hitting targets at work. 3. Having enough money to see me through the month. 4. Ensuring my bills are paid on time, every time. 5. All those other little things which tend to take up one's attention in the course of life.

The actions of a hobby company whose products I happen to enjoy really really don't bother me in the slightest. Faeit knew what he was posting up, and knew it was still officially under wraps, and that he shouldn't be doing it. Has he tried to portray himself as some kind of martyr? Not to my knowledge. Though there are others determined to act the martyr in his stead.

As for minority/majority. Once upon a time, I used to work for GW (2010. I now have a proper sensible career type job) as a store staffer. During this, I got sent out to various stores. And most customers whilst of course aware of the internets, weren't forum members, or particularly interested in becoming them. Mostly because the internet is a pretty toxic place to be if you're a nerd, mostly because other nerds make it that way, and they generally have better things to do with their time. Like, get on with the fun of enjoying your hobby without others making you out to be some kind of freakish lickspittle for enjoying the product you've spent several thousand pounds on.

And seriously....go take a look around.... The majority of people whining are serial whiners. They whine here. They whine on Whineseer. They whine on Dakkadakka. Their noise/signal ratio is low, and they decide they are the majority, even though there's a hardcore of what, no more than 50 amongst those sites?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

And of course we get all these internet lawyers who don't know what the **** they're talking about. "Oh, but GW has to protect their trademarks", but if an actual lawyer steps in with an educated opinion, who cares.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    And of course we get all these internet lawyers who don't know what the **** they're talking about. "Oh, but GW has to protect their trademarks", but if an actual lawyer steps in with an educated opinion, who cares.
    Actually, the lawyer commentary has been very interesting to read - for instance, Sean_Obrien and Janthkin's discussion over on DakkaDakka. What everything seems to come down to is whether or not Natfka's posting of leaked info falls under fair use, and that may depend on whether or not a lone independent blogger can be considered a journalist and thus get the use of leaked materials considered news reporting. The judge in the Johns-Byrne Co. v. Technobuffalo did eventually decide that Technobuffalo was a news outlet, especially in the case of posting leaked materials, especially since they had reporters, an editor, etc. On the other hand, the judge in Obsidian Finance Group, LLC v. Cox decided that a blogger is just an opinionated individual, and not an actual journalist because there's none of the standard hallmarks of traditional journalism (journalistic training, editorial oversight, etc.). It's admittedly a grey area, and not even actual lawyers can seem to agree.

I do stand corrected in that fair use does not care if the material has been published or not (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 of the US copyright code), so if the post on Faeit212 does qualify for fair use, then I would concede that GW's legal team overstepped their bounds, and I would hope a counternotice is being drafted as we speak. I can't blame GW for taking action that they think would be covered under the law, but if they were wrong then I agree that they should get their hands slapped for doing it.
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

Yet if its a grey area, a company should explore it.

Also, anyone know where Nafka is based? Jurisdiction informs far more than any given case law. UK Fair Use requires the info/image/what have you to have been released to the public, ruling out stuff not released.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Australia, I'm pretty sure, and they apparently have fair use definitions similar enough to the USA's from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by NockerGeek View Post
    Actually, the lawyer commentary has been very interesting to read - for instance, Sean_Obrien and Janthkin's discussion over on DakkaDakka.
    I meant the internet "lawyers", not the actual lawyers who happened to also be posting on the internet. I'm one of the former, so I'm guilty too.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345