BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Fair Use.....applies to stuff already released to the general public....

Oh. Oh dear....... Seems I was right..... Fair use doesn't apply in this instance.......
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Fair Use.....applies to stuff already released to the general public....

Oh. Oh dear....... Seems I was right..... Fair use doesn't apply in this instance.......
    This is truth.

I think the thing sticking in people's brains is those pics you see in car mags of the latest models all camo'd up. Those models haven't been released to the public yet so you'd figure there would be grounds for legal action there, but I think there's some kind of loophole in that circumstance that makes the pictures ok so long as the vehicle was viewable from public property or some such thing. I don't know.

The real moral of the story is that if you wanted to be a copyright lawyer you probably shouldn't have spent so much time on the intarwebs and maybe went to law school.

Chaplain

I don't have any links to back this up but my understanding is that the images are copy-write protected and reproducing them is the issue. If the images in question were photos someone had taken themselves then there's not much GW could have done about it, as it is someone is using their images without permission in a way they do not allow resulting in legal action.

Saying that I do think that GW's legal team needs to be give a good jerk on their leash, I've been wondering recently if the legal function has been either completely or partly outsourced.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    can't because the DMCA specifically allows for the fair use if copy written works as long as they aren't reproduced in whole.

Furthermore the DMCA isn't even applicable to printed works, just movies and music.
    Actually, no. This takedown notice is covered under Title II of the DMCA, which just appends additional rules for online service providers, methods for issuing takedown notices, etc. to the existing US copyright laws. There's no limitation stating that it only applies to music, movies, etc.

Also, this isn't a matter of fair use or not; it's a matter of right of first reveal. If you posted an excerpt of an upcoming book without permission of the publisher before that book was available for sale, you can bet that the publisher would come after you with all legal tools at their disposal, because you shouldn't have access to the book yet. Once the book is out, sure, excerpt to your heart's content (so long as you don't end up reposting the entire book, of course).
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

Quote Originally Posted by pgarfunkle View Post
    I don't have any links to back this up but my understanding is that the images are copy-write protected and reproducing them is the issue.
    GW being a douchebag is the issue.

Chaplain

Next person to use Australia as an example that isn't Australian I'll find you and shoot you or just beat you with a chainsword victims choice. But seriously they have a right to go 'hey we didn't want this up could you please take it down' then most likely everyone went pff what can you do, so they went and applied pressure. Their in the right on this no matter how you spin it

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by jgebi View Post
    Next person to use Australia as an example that isn't Australian I'll find you and shoot you or just beat you with a chainsword victims choice. But seriously they have a right to go 'hey we didn't want this up could you please take it down' then most likely everyone went pff what can you do, so they went and applied pressure. Their in the right on this no matter how you spin it
    Who the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    TSR dug its own grave and directly antagonized the fan base
    snip
    TLDR
    What? You don't think that GW is directly antagonizing their fan base? So these things aren't antagonistic?...

Taking down news sites that do nothing than promote your products and serve as unpaid evangelists?
    Completely losing touch with reality with their laughable prices.
    Not supporting the community in anyway whatsoever
    Strongarming independant retailers with restrictive trade agreements
    Relying on growing number of "direct only" products (the recent flyers book for example)
    And generally acting like their poop don't stink.

Also known as 'doing what every other company ever' does?

They aren't a charity folks. They're here to make money. And their IP and copyright are their bread and butter.

But, if your capitalism adverse, I hear things are warming up in Communist North Korea right now, so the weather sounds lovely!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Also known as 'doing what every other company ever' does?

They aren't a charity folks. They're here to make money. And their IP and copyright are their bread and butter.

But, if your capitalism adverse, I hear things are warming up in Communist North Korea right now, so the weather sounds lovely!
    Maybe 'Doing what every other company ever' does is not appropriate in a niche market with a vocal, active fan base?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast