BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Least Favourite Fantasy Character

The title says it all. Who is your least favourite Fantasy character (in terms of background rather than rules and in-game ability)? And maybe just a little explanation as to why you dislike, or in extreme cases abhor them.

I shall get the ball rolling by claiming my least favourite character to be Tiktaq'to. It was hard to come to this conclusion, as I have a general prejudice against Khorne characters, so I was tempted to opt a few of their number. But I cleared that and came to this.

Why Tiktaq'to? To begin with he's boring as drying paint in his background. I definitely felt he was the worst character in a generally bad book to begin with. He's just so plain and uninspiring. A 'master tactician'- wow, the Lizardmen Army Book, let alone the Warhammer universe doesn't have enough of those already. I mean he rides a Terradon and he still sucks. In fact, he just reminds me of Avatar (even though this came first, just), not Fantasy. As if all this wasn't bad enough, his name makes him somewhat of a joke in my opinion- I don't know if it's as bad a name as his ride though (Zwup) or not though lol.

Gor-Rok would **** all over this weak character. He's so forgettable, but memorable enough to remember he's crappy and bland. I'm not even tempted to buy his model out of pity for him, even if I'd just convert it into a crude diorama of him dying an inglorious death of some sort. Truly terrible, and is now hard for me to ever like him unless they really expand on him in the new Army Book.

Now that rant is over, please feel free to add your own suggestions- I am intrigued to hear your opinions.

Brother-Sergeant

In warhammer fantasy, I believe my least favorite character of ranges that have at least been updated, is Greaseus Goldtooth. I mean... you want to talk about ridiculous and pointless. He should be in the lore, not on the battlefield.

Also as a general rule I dislike the "godlike" characters that are presented as epic lords of war and yet play like cheese. Personally, I'd never like to play a game where Karl Franz and Malekith are on the same field because they are heroes of myth and legend. I've always thought that a believable game is one where your own custom character takes the field. I would never play Marneus Calgar, Kaldor Draigo, Abaddon the Despoiler, or Eldrad Ulthran in 40K for the same reason. It's all cheese.

Any Dwarf character.

Dull. Dull. Dull. Practically unkillable. And tasty magic weapons, all custom ordered. Dull. Dull. Dull.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter Master Jake View Post
    Also as a general rule I dislike the "godlike" characters that are presented as epic lords of war and yet play like cheese. Personally, I'd never like to play a game where Karl Franz and Malekith are on the same field because they are heroes of myth and legend. I've always thought that a believable game is one where your own custom character takes the field. I would never play Marneus Calgar, Kaldor Draigo, Abaddon the Despoiler, or Eldrad Ulthran in 40K for the same reason. It's all cheese.
    I both agree and disagre with this sentiment. Yes having a Chapter Master in a 1k a side battle is kinda ridiculous, and some of the more uber characters I feel really should be Apocalypse only, much like a lot of the uber vehicles and such are. Then again one doesn't become a legendary warrior by sitting on the sidelines, they are people who time and again are first into the fray and turn the tide by their actions and thus inspire others. Warhammer was a lot poorer in some past editions when they greatly reduced the number of named heroes available to the armies. they seem to have struck a pretty good balance with them in 8th from what I've observed.

As to my least favourite character, hmm aside from anything Nurgle (I really cannot stand Nurgle) which all together share top spot, I'd go with the Ice Queen of Kislev. Great character, but she (and those that have ruled Kislev before her) are to be frank suicidally stupid. Kislev as has been proven time and again cannot withstand the forces of Chaos by itself and invariably has to rely on the far greater military might that the Empire can bring to bear. Quite why she keeps Kislev as a separate realm when it would make far more sense for it to join the Empire as a province (there's even a spare Runefang in the Imperial Armoury) is beyond me. Maybe she just likes the title of Queen a bit too much. As an imperial province Kislev would benefit from greater trade and military strength, better investment in roads and such and all those imperial engineers could get to work on building a real line of defense along Kislev's north border much like how Cathay has done. Fighting the northern hordes at that Kislev Line would make far more sense than fighting them at their city walls each and every time they invade.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

Flip the coin. Why would the Empire want to let them join? After all, they'd have to give them all the benefits you mention and what would they get in return? Kislev's main (and pretty much only) value to the Empire is as a buffer zone to the realm of Chaos and the military strength they bring. The Empire already gets that benefit from them and all they have to do is send in the odd army when things get really hairy. Make them part of the Empire and suddenly Troll Country is right on your doorstep and you have to waste more resources defending Kislev.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Balthazar Gelt, for sure. Such a weirdo. Descriptions of him remind me of a part Doctor Doom (obviously) part Hannibal Lector-style high functioning sociopath. Nowhere NEAR as cool as Thyrus Gormann, whom he impossibly replaced as supreme patriarch of the colleges of magic.

Gelt was pretty much Alessio Cavatore imagining himself as Gelt virtually beating up on all the cool kids personified in Gormann. Jeez, Alessio, it was twenty years ago. Man up and get over it. All us other nerds did.

~Es

Chapter-Master

Bah, Gormann was old and complacent. The empire needs strong leaders and Gelt is combines awesome magical power with all the weasely cunning you would expect of an alchemist. I much prefer him and KF clearly rates him which is all the seal of approval anyone needs.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Flip the coin. Why would the Empire want to let them join? After all, they'd have to give them all the benefits you mention and what would they get in return? Kislev's main (and pretty much only) value to the Empire is as a buffer zone to the realm of Chaos and the military strength they bring. The Empire already gets that benefit from them and all they have to do is send in the odd army when things get really hairy. Make them part of the Empire and suddenly Troll Country is right on your doorstep and you have to waste more resources defending Kislev.
    Aside from taxes which would likely net quite a nice chunk of cash for the Imperial Treasury, Kislev would also give the Empire something it sorely lacks, namely a major sea port in the shape of Erengrad. Move a load of the fleet to harbour there and you are paying a lot less fees any time your ships want to sail forth to guard the Empire's considerable coastline.

As for Balthazar Gelt I much prefer him to Thyrus Gormann, for one thing he has much better taste in headwear. That hat of Gormann's was beyond ridiculous!
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

What coastline? Check the map in the army book, the Empire has a tiny stretch of coast (relative to the rest of the country), with Marienburg and Erengrad already covering either end of it, so they don't need a massive fleet. They are unlikely to be paying much, if anything, in fees to Erengrad (assuming they moor there) as the Kislevites benefit from the naval protection too. No amount of gold would persuade Marienburg to allow any significant Imperial presence in their harbour.

Battle-Brother

Greasus Goldtooth.

The name says it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast