BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What are the problems with this idea?

I like walkers. I like honkin' great big walkers. So I obviously like the Riptide.

So here's an idea I've been mulling over - it's pure theory at this stage, because I don't think it will work, but still...

At 2000 points, you get six Elite slots.

I think you can see where I'm going with this.

What are the strengths of fielding six Riptides? What are the counters? What units do you take to support them? Do you fully kit them out with stimulant injectors and Shielded Missile Drones?

I think that properly done, such an army could be absolutely horrifying to behold, but I'm not sure.

Opinions?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

1260 points for 6 with Accelerators, interceptor and Skyfire. The advantage is you get 6 S8 large blasts a turn. Highly mobile and resilient but a big target.

On a few I would add other wargear like Stim Injectors etc to mix it up (infact id only leave Skyfire on 2 but Interceptor on about 4)

Chaplain

I play necrons, I dare you to. No please be my guest and I'll see how this goes down

But tactically this would mess me up something chronic, You'd be killing 3 whole squads (if your lucky) a turn nothing can come back from that... ok maybe a necron, whats the AP at?

Most of it is AP2 I believe. Not to mention the Riptides have a tl Plasma/Fusion/Missile as well as the Battlecannon.

This is what got me about the idea. The problem with the Riptide is the fact it's a massive fire magnet - but what if you mitigated that by having so many of the damn things your opponent doesn't know where to focus fire? Even three Riptides can be dealt with, but six is just an abhorrent threat regardless of what your list is. Mix it up with some pathfinders for Markerlight shots and cheap, disposable Kroot to hold objectives in the late game, it seems like a workable idea that's totally new.

The 2+/T6 combo is seriously vulnerable only to things like massed plasma fire, and while that IS the current meta shift, I can't see that you can field enough of it to kill all six Riptides quickly enough, especially if they have Feel No Pain. Standard antitank just won't cut it as it doesn't have the weight of fire necessary to drop them.

Yes, you are vulnerable to massed str4 fire, but with the jet pack and longer range weaponry, with careful maneuvering, you could be functionally invulnerable to it as it never gets in range.

I'm sure there must be a hard counter to the idea, but at this stage I can't think of it.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-04-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Librarian

Only thing I can think that may slow them down is some Thunder fire cannons

There'll likely be a counter soon, but not yet as far as I know. That is insanity, just want to see 6 Riptides on a battlefield for sheer logic defiance lol haven't seen one yet

The counter is Jaws of the Worldwolf and other Initiative based tests or Forceweapons. Same as any Monstrous creature really. Its just harder to get near to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    The counter is Jaws of the Worldwolf and other Initiative based tests or Forceweapons. Same as any Monstrous creature really. Its just harder to get near to.
    Not that hard... most Space Wolves just drop the Rune Priest next to you with a Drop Pod and take out big, nasty lines of troops or choice items.

That is insanity, just want to see 6 Riptides on a battlefield for sheer logic defiance l
    It'd be brilliant, wouldn't it? I can't imagine it'd win any tournaments, by sweet mercy you wouldn't be expecting it.

Any Tau player who lets an enemy get into assault, well, they're doing it wrong. Unless, you know, their enemy is better than them, obviously. I suppose a Dreadknight with it's massive sword would be the real hard counter. That and maybe squads of 10 Kabalite Trueborn with Splinter Carbines in a Raider with Splinter Racks. Or five with Splinter Carbines in a Venom with 2 Splinter Cannon.

I had forgotten JOTWW. I feel for the Librarian with that power who runs into this list - he'd be such a priority target he'd be deader than disco by the end of turn 1.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-04-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast