BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tau Tactica

First-Captain

You do a really well and awesome review. I can't really find flaw, but will add on to your goodness. I admit you can do 1000x better than I can. Any way I just wanted to point out a few things.

Bonding Knive: Well I kinda disagree with what you are saying here. I agree with stealth suits and possibly pathfinders, but with fire warriors I do see it as a waste of points, especially if an Ethereal is lying around and can make them stubborn, have to look to see if stubborn would help against the snake eyes rolling.

Anyway it's not a big deal with a squad or two, but it becomes an issue when you begin taking 3 or more squads of fire warriors.

For example 9 bonded warriors come to the same point cost of 10 non bonded warriors. To make the snake eye roll an issue you will have to reduce the squad of 10 to 2 models. Seeing that you have a free model when compared to bonded you have that one fire warrior that could be looked at as a possible waste of points and the bonding actually being needed.

The issue however is that with one less model that is less shooting. Looking at 36 fire warriors that is not bonded that is almost 4 extra fire warriors.

Now if you take squads of 7 firewarriors for example it would actually be better than even bonding 7 fire warriors. The reason being the bonding almost cost as much as reducing the squad to 1. In this case I rather deal with the slim chance of having my squad reduced to one model than pay the extra points to avoid a morale check for one model.

Now if my squads was like 20 plus than bonding would become more viable.

Also I wanted to mention the broadsides and crisis suits may need bonding if you decide to take drones. For example 3 suits and on drone would force the one suit to roll snake eyes. When it comes to suits they really need to be bounded if the unit exceeds 4. Unless you are running Farsight the most a crisis suit or broadside would pay for bonding is 3 tacos.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    You do a really well and awesome review. I can't really find flaw, but will add on to your goodness. I admit you can do 1000x better than I can. Any way I just wanted to point out a few things.

Bonding Knive: Well I kinda disagree with what you are saying here. I agree with stealth suits and possibly pathfinders, but with fire warriors I do see it as a waste of points, especially if an Ethereal is lying around and can make them stubborn, have to look to see if stubborn would help against the snake eyes rolling.

Anyway it's not a big deal with a squad or two, but it becomes an issue when you begin taking 3 or more squads of fire warriors.

For example 9 bonded warriors come to the same point cost of 10 non bonded warriors. To make the snake eye roll an issue you will have to reduce the squad of 10 to 2 models. Seeing that you have a free model when compared to bonded you have that one fire warrior that could be looked at as a possible waste of points and the bonding actually being needed.

The issue however is that with one less model that is less shooting. Looking at 36 fire warriors that is not bonded that is almost 4 extra fire warriors.

Now if you take squads of 7 firewarriors for example it would actually be better than even bonding 7 fire warriors. The reason being the bonding almost cost as much as reducing the squad to 1. In this case I rather deal with the slim chance of having my squad reduced to one model than pay the extra points to avoid a morale check for one model.

Now if my squads was like 20 plus than bonding would become more viable.

Also I wanted to mention the broadsides and crisis suits may need bonding if you decide to take drones. For example 3 suits and on drone would force the one suit to roll snake eyes. When it comes to suits they really need to be bounded if the unit exceeds 4. Unless you are running Farsight the most a crisis suit or broadside would pay for bonding is 3 tacos.
    You mentioned Aunva and cover. I play tested him behind an aegis defense linne and he worked rather well. I want to throw out gtg is a good thing with this model.

I looked at the fireblade and you seemed not to be fond of gun drones. Keeping in mind that the drones have carbines and with a fire warrior squad and fire blade you can take 4 for an extra 12 shots. Which means within rapid fire range that's 51 strength 5 shots that the unit can pop out. I have thought about a fireblade with pathfinders by doing this if you take rail rifles you can now shoot the rail separate from the marker lights.

Another add is with darkstrider and fire blade with pathfinders it can make the unit rather nasty. Also equiping the drone that adds range to carbines you can fire around 60 carbine shots within 24" that can splitfire and lower toughness by one, I am also counting the possible 6 gun drones you can add to the squad.

Kroot have kroot rifles that I believe gives them an extra attack, I have to double check. However in combat kroot have ap 5 weapons which of course make them able to kill bad saving models. I also wanted to point out kroot hounds are initiative 5. Which means in combat the hounds will strike before most models, also you can let you hounds die in the next rounds so you can max all your attacks back.

Keeping with hounds are initiative 5 it helps the unit get away and I think the hounds also have acute senses which allow you to re roll when trying to out flank.

Kroot have a +2 cover save in woods that are area terrain if they gtg. Also they have move through cover which I forgot they had and it costed me a few games due to that oversight. Now that I remember it really helps with capture the relic since you fan infiltrate and use move through cover to pick up the relic. Thinking about it OShova armies with Shadowsunas an ally would be really good with getting the relic, if sad alliance is even legal.

Oh kroot have only base attacks. I play with them and keep forgetting that.

Also the kroot rifle works with the ethereal which means 10 kroot can rapid fire 30 times or 30 kroot can rapid fire 90 times.
    Last edited by chicop76; 11-18-2013 at 11:06 AM.

First-Captain

The devilfish I would like to add some insight. It is a hard choice between smart missile and gun drones.

What the smart missiles offer is greater range almost double than that of the gun drones. Also another point is that it can strip cover without the need of marker lights. Not only that it doesn't need line of sight to shoot at targets. I will say all these abilities have been helpful taking out objective grabbing units with good cover saves that are hiding behind a building. May it be eldar rangers or camo cloaked guardsmen. I have won games due to smartmissiles, also it can help you not getting into a nasty position since you can simply shoot through the stupid wall. Multiple smart missile systems in your army is very helpful.

The benefit of the drones is that if you move 6" you can fire all weapons at regular bs. With the smart missiles either the burst cannon or it will be shot as snap shots. Which means as a mobile shooting platform you want drones. Also the drones can overwatch which is an added bonus and can recieve the Ethereal buff for 6 shots at half range instead of 4. Keep that in mind ifyou are using mmultiple devilfish.

First-Captain

Finally read everything and I have a few more adds.

With Stealth Suits I used to shoot and assault with them. Now that you are getting an extra shoot it may not be a great ideal to do the old shoot and assault tactic. In the old dex I had 12 drones with them.

Anyway if you assault with 6 drones that's 18 strength 4 attacks. Also with a ws of 2 you are still hitting most things on 4s. Depending on the situation if for example a veteran squad of guardsmen with plasma guns that have a two plus cover save can easily rapid fire you next turn, and the best cover you can get is 4 plus and you know you will probably re roll saves on that than it would be best to assault them. In most cases your overwatch, especially by other units will be your better option. I have assaulted marines several times and came out on top last edition. I used my stealth suits a few times, but relied more on overwatch this edition.

Railsides are my go to unit due to tournaments. My missile sides suffer when the opposition decide to stay out of their general range and decide to switch to long range. My army now have decent long range which make it a bad option to fight a range contest, but keep in mind that if your whole army weapons happen to be 30#36" range and you fight marines which can have a lot of 48" ranged weapons you can suffer due to that. Riptides help with that.

Having played missile sides and the sniper team it's hard to say which are really better. I can say missile sides are much better anti horde

Here is a rough comparrison. Keep in mind I am usind an ethereal. I am not including him in the sniper cost.

3 missle sides = 2 spotters 11 drones. The drones have to form two units since one unit min maxed will not equal a side

Beyond 46" the sniper dish out 4.5 wounds with one ignoring saves
    Within missile side range 9 smart hits and 9 high hits. Kills 15 horde type, 12 tau type, 5 marine type

So marines is about the same while higher toughness models will feel some pain.

Within rapid sniper without ethereal you have 9 wounds which 3 ignore saves which means the sniper team is better at killing marine type models and higher toughness

Within Ethereal range 33 shots, 28 hits, 14 wounds which almost 5 can cause ignore wounds.

Now throw in a support commander giving the snipers twin linked and tank or mc hunter.
    33 shots, 33 hits, 23 wounds about 9 wounds that ignore saves

Which means that the sniper team within 24"-30" range can easily kill most things in the game with ethereal and support commander.

The sides are more dureable, but at least the snipers have a 3plus cover save in ruins and a 2 plus cover if the gtg in area terrain.

Also the sniper team can hide behind line of sight terrain and jsj which means they can potentially never get shot at all game.

having issues with lucky terminator blobs. any bright ideas - ?
    dont want to run trip rip though !

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    Filled out drone squads with a Suit commander & drone controller usually does it for me. Combined with extra support from plasma rifle armed suits.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    I'd suggest going with the newest riptide variant, ap 2 plasma flamer works well =D

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by lantzkev View Post
    I'd suggest going with the newest riptide variant, ap 2 plasma flamer works well =D
    Also Riptide with Ion Accelerator (especially when it over/nova charges it) can take out a full unit of termies in one turn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12