BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Looking to do Van Saar Necronmunda Conversions

I've got a list down for a van saar gang and looking to put it together. I want to stay away from the metal models which leads me into a bit of a probelm.

I have alot of space wolves heads lying around so that works with the beards.

The cadian torso works out pretty well or elysian drop troop models

my problem with the cadian stuff is the torsos are fine but the arms and legs are unarmored ... which is the case for the majority of the GW line of models (barring storm troopers / karskrin).

While looking through people's previous conversions I had a thought about using tau fire warrior models for the base.

Head - Space Wolves
    Torso - Fire Warrior
    Arms - Fire Warrior - without the shoulder pad shield
    Legs - Fire Warrior
    Weapons - Cadian Lasguns / Cadian Flamer (shoulder slung) / Kit Bash a Orc Loota Gun for a Heavy Stubber (shoulder slung)

Since Van Saar are suppose to have full environmental suits I think the tau model would fit in.

What are people's thoughts on it?

Hi, I think using Tau sounds cool, but once painted up Cadian models don't look too bad. I used some Pig Iron heads with breathers to help show how they wear environmental suits but since then there are a load of companies who had great breather style heads.

Battle-Brother

The Tau idea sounds like the quickest fix, especially if you have bitz available.
    You could also consider cutting down SM shoulder pads; use the center section for shoulders, knees, elbows. Even if they are untextured, you can paint lines or crosshatching on them to make them look more like padding.

Eldar and Dark Eldar bitz especially the arms and Legs remember The Van Saar wear skin tight survival suits.

As for Tau a Tau have weird legs and 3 fingers, and bd b) aren't fire warrior torsos a touch over armoured?

I used Cadians with Pig Iron heads too, I went with the Kolony HQ and Winter heads to give them a Russian look with full breathers. Added bonus that I don't like painting faces. I used an Ork Big Shoota for a Heavy Stubber which seemed to fit in pretty well. Consider using magnets though as for Necromunda it helps so much if you can just swap an arm with a Lasgun for one with a Flamer or Plasmagun as your gang progresses.

Chapter-Master

I've used the IG command squad box to fill out my van saar gang. I shaved down some of the bulging biceps and painted their arms the same color as their vests to give them a "spandex/spanx" look which actually turned out ok.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire