BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Art

Banned

Most of my art is videogame / TV / Movie art

Also want these badly (hell, [URL="http://www.stevethomasart.com/"]all his stuff is awesome[/URL]):

mind you I still need to get my [URL="http://www.ukiyoeheroes.com/"]Ukiyo-e Heroes[/URL] framed... also thinking about getting my Fallout New Vegas card deck framed too.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    First off, two of my favorite words ... Callipygian and Callimastian. Gotta love the greek language.

++++

As for my taste in art, I tend to favor the Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles. Examples of my favorites are:

I'm pretty sure that's hanging in the toilet at home

now when it comes to art

and then there's street art

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

In terms of street art....depends.

The majority of graffiti is terribad. However, some stuff, whether intentionally or not, I do consider genuine art.

Tagging - No. Afraid not. That's just a scrawl.
    Banksy - Yes, yes, definitely Art.
    Large murals - Even if I don't 'get' the message, yup. Canvas, paint, intent, message. Art in my book.

Though there is one tag I find particularly good. On the London Bridge-Hastings line, just inside London proper, there is a tag, on a bridge, which simply says 'anus'. Don't know why, but that tickles me!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Yeah most graffiti is just vandalism, not art.

A kid I went to school with has done some nice paintings.

And then of course there's photography, like this:

or this

Last edited by Psychosplodge; 05-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Chapter-Master

personally I like Dali, Escher, Dadaist stuff, and would burn the Tate Modern to the ground.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

also I adore stuff like this

Brother-Captain

In terms of SciFi art, I'm a fan of Michael Whelan, Luis Royo, Boris Vallejo and of course Frank Frazetta.

I'm also a fan of [url=http://www.gourmetpapermache.com]Dan Reeder[/url], who makes fantastic ugly nasties out of paper mache and cloth. He has really raised it to something of a high art:

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

That's very nifty, hmm, he takes commissions. I'm thinking fantasy creature trophy room. I love things like that which show that traditional artistic forms can be used in new and interesting ways without it all having to be conceptual bollocks or abstract.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

I'll admit I'm not that knowledgeable on classic art and I just don't get modern art at all, but I do love fantasy art, in particular the works of such artists as Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, Brom, Jeff Easley, Keith Parkinson and Wayne Reynolds. Some of my favourites are:

Urban Adventure by Wayne Reynolds

Gods of Lanhkmar by Keith Parkinson

Lord Soth's Charge by Keith Parkinson

The Big Red Dragon by Jeff Easley
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

For Kirsten:

Sappho

Roman copy of 5th century BC original (Capitoline Museum, Rome)

Roman copy of Hellenistic original (Izmir, Turkey)

Random favourite:

A Bar at the Folies-Bergere, Edouard Manet (Courtauld Gallery, London)
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast