BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default How do I deal with a Deamon prince with MoN, wings and Black mace

This is one evil SOB and I'm struggling to kill the bloody thing. I play Marines. I was thinking TH / SS termies but I'm thinking shooting is better. The problem is if you throw all your fire power at it, it leaves the rest of the army to run riot. Is there a sure fire way to either kill or deal with this threat quickly ? Heldrakes I can handle but this ****ers hard as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadPanda View Post
    This is one evil SOB and I'm struggling to kill the bloody thing. I play Marines. I was thinking TH / SS termies but I'm thinking shooting is better. The problem is if you throw all your fire power at it, it leaves the rest of the army to run riot. Is there a sure fire way to either kill or deal with this threat quickly ? Heldrakes I can handle but this ****ers hard as nails.
    I don't know if I should help you. That evil SOB is always part of my army. Don't forget that the best ones also have a Combat Familiar, Power Armor, and Wings. They can also have Psychic Powers but I no longer use them as the return is sketchy. But yes, you illustrate WHY I use Krampus (what I call him) in my lists. He draws firepower off other units and grants board control. To start with, what army (and/or allies) are you using? It is hard to give you advice without knowing what tools you have at your disposal.

Krak missiles are the best way to put down the daemon prince, but the problem is knocking him out of the sky before you can light him up. If you're using rhinos, try shooting the storm bolters at him before firing anything else in your army - forcing a couple of grounding checks is really helpful.

If you don't mind using allies, Tau Skyrays absolutely murder daemon princes - you can use its own markerlights to make the Skyray BS 5, then fire all 6 seeker missiles into the daemon prince on the first turn. Very likely to do 3 or 4 wounds just by itself.

Believe it or not bolters are quite effective at taking them out, you just have to be ready to commit a fair bit of firepower to the job. My usual strategy is to throw bolters at him until he falls out of the sky and only after that point commit some heavier firepower towards taking him out.

Bolters. Dump cheap firepower at him until he fails a Grounding Test, then light him up with missiles, autocannons, and assault cannons. He's pretty fragile for his points, but once he can "hide" in CC, you don't get to take advantage of his fragility as he murders everything in clobbering range.

All of you are assuming that the Daemon Prince is Swooping. I can tell you, since I play that particular configuration, that I rarely Swoop. I spend my time on the ground jumping from Ruin to Ruin and just settle for the 2+ save. I don't like the 1 in 3 chance of falling out of the air and taking a high STR hit. Gliding is more than effective enough for a Daemon Prince of Nurgle. I agree that VOLUME of fire will do the job whether he is on the ground or in the air, but the OP already knows he can do it that way. He is looking for a work around. I'm still waiting to hear which army he places so I can offer something specific. It is worth noting that Heavy Flamers ignore cover.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 04-27-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Here is my usual Space marine list

Vulkan He'stan

2 tactical squads with ML and Flamer

Sniper scouts behind Aegis with Telion and quad gun

Assault Terminators TH/SS

Storm Talon with TLLC

1 Mortis Contemptor with Kheres and ML

Dev Squad x 4 plasma.

I usually castle up and play denied flank and shoot the **** out of anything that comes my way and have my Terminators and Vulcan deal with anyone gets too close. But that prince is terrifying once in my lines.

I have access to lots of marine units so can add or take stuff.

Your standard list isn't in good shape. It suffices to say that I would eat you for lunch. The standard list you give doesn't have the tools (short of shooting the entire army at the DP) to do the job. Can you list what kinds of units to which you have access specifically? Dealing with a Daemon Prince like my Krampus is a pain because he is the original Glass Cannon. Vindicators are nice (although they won't ignore my cover) because any failure is Instant Death. Vindicators are also good because they give you lots of options and use against nearly any list. Any high strength weapons you have which ignore cover go a long way. It might also be good to take another look at the Psychic powers as there are several maledictions which are useful.

Veteran-Sergeant

I can field anything you recommend really, If I don't have it I can get it
    I have Landraiders of all variety, Marneus Calgar, Vindicators, Libby with thunder shield in TDA, Lascannons Dev squad, Storm Raven, Las Plas Predators. All manner of stuff really. Like I said if I don't have it I can always get it either by borrowing or buying. I'm in the process of starting a new marine army so nothings out as I just sold of a huge Necron army and some other bits. I usually don't have too many problems with my gunline style of play, sure I get beaten sometimes and I don't mind that but this MC of yours has me stumped. I know it's bad *** and it should be for the points. But having a credible idea to deal with it would be nice.
    Thanks to everyone who answered so far, I will make sure I have plenty of bolters in my army to bring the bugger down, just need to finish him off.
    Last edited by DeadPanda; 04-27-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Sternguard especially will ruin Krampy's day - Hellfire rounds are still 2+ to wound no matter what the other guy packs on. Even swooping, a 10-man Sternguard squad will put ~2 wounds on him a turn. And if they catch him in rapid fire range on the ground, well, flu season is cancelled.

Also, if you're running Vulkan, a good squad in general is 10 Sternguard, 2 heavy flamers and 5 combi-meltas in a Drop Pod with the V-man himself. Plop that down on the other side of the field turn 1 and things start dying.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast