BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Tyranid Tourney Building (1800)

After attending a Tournament the other day, and seeing how surprisingly effective the Tyranids were ive decided to try something a little Gribbly of my own. Hows this?

Swarm Lord
    + 2 Hive Guard - 400
    Flyrant
    - 2x TL Devourer, Hive Commander - 285

Doom of Malantai
    + Spore Pod - 130
    Ymgarl Genestealers x7 - 161

Termagants x15 - 75
    Termagants x15 - 75
    Tervigon
    + Catalyst, Glands, Sacs - 195
    Tervigon

Gargoyles x20 - 120

Total - 1797

Now i know, it has almost NO WAY of dealing with flyers outside of the Flyrant however in the environment i play in there are very few AirForce lists. At worst a couple of Vendetta's and Night Scythes and i figure the best way to handle them is to just ignore them. Outmaneuver the Zoomers and dive on anything brave enough to Hover.

Basic plan is simple. Between the 2 Tyrants i have +2 to my reserve Rolls. Ymgarls and Doom should drop in on turn 2 and on occasion i can even outflank a Tervigon to bulldoze into enemy lines/units hiding on flanks. Doom finds the tightest concentration he can, Ymgarls pop up and charge straight in holding up as many of my opponents guns as i can.

Flyrant zooms up, does his Dakka Dakka stuff while Swarmlord moves up behind a cloud of Gargoyles to find something juicy to assault and the Gaunts/Other Tervigon look for objectives to go sit on.

Tyrants take a mix of Telepathy and Biomancy (Invisibilty is nice but Iron Arm is the obvious want)

Now, one thing im not sure on, can the Gargoyles give the Swarmlord a cover save? The way theyre modelled they hide alot of the model but i seem to remember it has more to do with the units 'size' (ie basic infantry). Its been a long time since ive played with MC's.

Chapter-Master

If you can, I would squeeze your points for lash whips on the tyrant guard.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Brother-Captain

No need for Hive Commander, Swarmlord gives +1 to Reserves already.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    No need for Hive Commander, Swarmlord gives +1 to Reserves already.
    Everything ive seen (ie the FAQ) says its cumulitive. Turn 2 reseves on a 2+. Not to mention if I outflank something, like a Tervigon, thanks to Hive Commander, Swarmy lets me reroll the side if I need it.

Ok, heres the revision. I went for Biovores as i realised their Barrage bombs make a great 'Anti-Aegis Line' threat since most things that use them are GEQ's.

Couldnt quite find the points for Lash Whips on the Guards, or even Scything Talons for the Tervigons short of dropping the Gargoyles to where i think they become pointless. Plus if i was gonna do that id probably have gone the whole hog for Crushing Claws anyway. Maybe if i take it up to 1850 someday.

Swarm Lord
    + Hive Guard - 340
    Flyrant
    - 2x TL Devourer, Hive Commander - 285

Doom of Malantai
    + Spore Pod - 130

Termagants x10 - 50
    Termagants x10 - 50
    Tervigon
    Tervigon

Gargoyles x16 - 96

Biovores x3 - 135

Total - 1798

For the cover save 5+ shooting through units/broods. You just need to be able to trace a line from the eyes/gun of the model to the target... if the line hits or passes between the models of an intervening unit/brood then you get the cover save.

Termagants are real low to the ground so if the firing model has any height its very likely the line to the target will pass over them... gargoyles should give cover in most cases due to being on flight stands.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    Everything ive seen (ie the FAQ) says its cumulitive. Turn 2 reseves on a 2+. Not to mention if I outflank something, like a Tervigon, thanks to Hive Commander, Swarmy lets me reroll the side if I need it.
    Reserves start at 3+ in 6th edition my friend.

Ah.. indeed they do.

Either way I like the Synergy of him letting my Tervigon outflank and Swarmy letting me reroll the side plus it negates any items/powers my opponent brings that give me negatives to reserves. The other two powers are kinda pointless on a Flyrant with TL Weapons operating mostly alone and at range.

If im comitting to the Outflank tactic I may shave the Gargoyles down to 12 to add Crushing Claws to the nominated outflanker. A Coming in close to my enemies lines and Barrelling into their armor with Smash attacks sounds fun.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Reserves start at 3+ in 6th edition my friend.
    Meaning no need for reserve rolls However, I agree with Tynskel in that I would drop Hive Commander to take lash whips on the Tyrant Guard. After that, either give one of the Tervigons' an extra psychic power (in case you swap them out) or give Toxin Sacs or another upgrade of your choice to the Hive Tyrant.

However, if you want to keep Hive Commander for the Outflanking Troops choice, that is a good option too. Guaranteed reserves on turn two unless the opponent inflicts a -1 modifier on them is no small thing in an army with an outflanking Tervigon and two Ymgarl broods. Just be mindful that the Tervigon can use her psychic powers on the turn she arrives from reserves as well
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/