BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Legion of the Damned

Morning all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but have been reading the Legion of the Damned book and then looked at the minis and thought that if they are the Fire Hawk Chapter that have come back then why are they wearing MK4 armour? Surely if they are the lost legion they would be wearing pre heresy armour or am I missing something?

I love the minis I just thought that if they were meant to be pre heresy then I have a project and could do actual legion of the damned marines in Mk2 / 3 armour!
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take

Chapter-Master

I've never seen anything that suggests they're pre-heresy. Did I miss something in that book?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant

My bad, got the dates wrong. The Fire Hawks disappeared in M41 so post heresy!

*feels silly now*
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take

Occuli Imperator

The link between Fire Hawks and Legion of the Damned is "fairly" well established.
    The argument about armour types is tricky, but one needs to consider that the Legion first appeared in Rogue Trader, where GW were not overly concerned about the "correctness" of any armour mark.

A couple of observations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    WD 99. These boyos are the remains of the Fire Hawks. So for my tuppence:

1. Should all be Mk VI armour.
    2. Should not have latest godwyn pattern bolters - should have gone for crusade or heresy pattern (pay attention all you pre-heresy modellers its your most common mistake)
    3. Individually patterned armour? I think not. They wouldn't have sufficient artificer support to do this - should just be black plain armour with painted designs.
    4. GW should stop with flame effects in braziers etc - they almost always look rubbish.

So, overall, I think these are good looking minis, can see chaplains or some mad Chaos conversions here. But not very Legion of Damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    1 & 2 - MK VII armour was introduced at the very end of the heresey, so would have easily been available to a 26th founding Chapter (M36), as would the current issue bolters.

3 - I think this is to tie in with the "are they the Fire Hawks or are they Ghoooost Maaarines (oooooo)".

4 - Agreed.
    Of course they could always have scavenged more modern armour plates and weapons and updated them...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

But in the second edition WD release aren't they spotted on a timeline of suspected actions, preM41?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    But in the second edition WD release aren't they spotted on a timeline of suspected actions, preM41?
    Time flows differently in the warp!

Chapter-Master

Good point...

Brother-Captain

Plus, they're essentially the Emperor's personal army of ghosts, so I'm pretty sure they can have whatever style of armor they darn well please.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    Plus, they're essentially the Emperor's personal army of ghosts, so I'm pretty sure they can have whatever style of armor they darn well please.
    More like Death Company wannabes..
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    More like Death Company wannabes..
    No, not really. It's a completely different situation.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast