BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Eldar Assault - Can they do it now?

I have three options for assault units with my Eldar army. But now it is likely that they will not be involved in assaulting other units until the 3rd turn at the earliest. My units were, Scorpions, Banshees and Storm Guardians, (Surprising troops)

In the previous Edition of the rules, if you dismounted your troops before your transport moved you could still move shoot and assault. But now that is clearly not allowed. Likewise, if you flank with a unit it can not assault the turn it fronts on the field. And if you want to just march them across the field you are not going to be assaulting with the full squad if you make it at all.

So do assault troops now become defensive units, covering an objective held by troops? Or does the combination of price and vulnerability cancel their value in the game?

I used to mount my troops in a wave serpent, blast it across the field and hope for those cover saves before dismounting and assaulting.

What say Ye

First-Captain

basically i'd say wait two weeks and see where we stand then...
    as to the current situation, i stopped using the units you mentioned - heck i even stopped thinking about using them... harlequins are another matter, but those three just don't cut it for me any more, which is sad...

give quins a 4+ inv save and they might be worth it ! otherwise they are just like Zulu's !
    [brave but shot to bitz]

My best bud who plays eldar tends to hide his assault units behind cover. He then jumps out at the last secound to beat the snot out of my BA assault squads once they have slogged accross the battle field under fire from his twin squads of Dark Reapers. More counter assault than assault but these units can still be effective.

Harlies with Shadowseer work fairly well if you happen to have a lot of cover on the board.