Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Big,

I'll join you on your Firegale crusade.

Much MUCH better name.
    Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Autarch View Post
    You figured me out! How did you know!?? Sorry if I sound pissy about it but I have expensive hobbies and when I see people whining and moaning about GW's prices its just laughable compared to other collectible hobbies. Check out the prices on figma Metroid, and Zelda figures $100+, masterpiece Transformers $260+, perfect grade Gundam models $150+and all the vinyl statues people collect. These figures, and models are something people set aside money for over the course of a month and pick up when they have the cash. They are not meant to be purchased in bulk. Especially the wraithknight. Its something that should be the centerpiece of a large army. $115 bucks is nothing. Its two Wave Serpents.
    Its not nothing. Its more than my phone bill and utilities, its a third of my rent, its what most people in my home town make in 4 days after taxes- the gas bill for a month. A car payment.

Its been on more than one occaision of my life the entirety of my expendable income for three months. Yes, thats during my adult working life.

So you know what, you can say that its a fair price if you like, you can say that its reasonable to you- and good on you for living in a place where theres enough jobs that you can afford things like that, where you can even save up enough money to move to a place where theres jobs that allow you to afford things like that. But for some of us, well theres just not going to be an Eldar Christmas, because once weve bought the codex its going to be a month before we can say 'ok, now what else do I want?'.

GW wasnt always an expensive hobby, and it just outright sucks for those of us who love a good strategy game and will never be able to afford to think about expanding our armies out into the new toys everyone else gets to play with.

And dont for one second think about telling me to just budget better. Ive budgetted quite well over the last 15 years and managed to pull some amazing deals to get my 15k points of eldar on the field. All Im asking is that GW not make me consider it all an exercise in futility!

Brother-Captain

If you check out the high grade gundam models, and collectible toys they are the same price if not more. Masterpiece transformers are $260 dollars a pop. Thats what you are in for if you into collectible figures/minis. Seriously stop complaining.
    Whoa, which Masterpiece Transformers are you buying? I don't think I ever paid more than $80 but Hasbro/Takara also didn't trick me into buying Optimus's trailer. You're also refering to Perfect Grade (and some Master Grade) Gundams and they all bring a hella lot more to the table than the Wraithknight. That said, I'm totally using new Metroplex as a titan.
    Last edited by bfmusashi; 05-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    June 1? The photo from the White Dwarf says the suppliment was supposed to be released on June 8.
    Maybe, but there's no reason why they couldn't release the codex June 1st and some extra stuff on the 8th.

Sorry if I sound pissy about it.
    You don't sound pissy, you sound like a ******** who's bragging about his new BMW to a bunch of people driving around in Civics. A significant percentage of people who play this hobby are kids in school, college, or other various levels of employment that can't readily drop hundreds of dollars without careful planning, if at all.

If you've got the disposable income (and there are plenty of people here who do), go ahead, but when GW spontaneously literally doubles its prices on stuff a lot of people were struggling to afford, screw them.

Edit: 3++ and Faeit have backed up the prices.

Also from 3++, with commentary from Kirby:

And more information from [URL="http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123038&page=27"]Heresy Onlin[/URL][URL="http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123038&page=27"]e[/URL]:

There is also an upgrade pack in Finecast to make an Autarch on a jetbike.
    As far as the actual Codex goes:-You can make Run moves in addition to shooting Shuriken weapons. Interesting particularly if this can be made both before or after shooting.

-Shuriken weapons have a rule which makes them ignore armor on a to-wound roll of a 6– similar to rending, but it's not actually the Rending rule. So they still can't damage tanks. Yay >.<.

-The Wraithknight starts at about 250 points and caps around 350, and towers over even the Tau Riptide. It's 9” tall. The Wraithknight has the ability for its weapons to become twin-linked if it hits with a scatter laser it comes equipped with, even against airborne targets. It can shoot S9 and 10 small blasts, and has a total of four weapons on it– you have a choice of several, including a huge wraithblade and a lance weapon.It had better be T8/W5/2+ for that starting cost…

- Wraithguard are cheaper both points-wise and financially speaking, and are now S5 and T6, and have the option to be equipped with Wraithblades as per the current Codex's in place of their guns, making them a dangerous close combat unit. What do you mean now S5/T6? Wraithblades aren't going to make them a dangerous CC unit without an A buff. If Wraithguns aren't getting a range increase these guys are still likely to be blah.

- Including a Spiritseer as a HQ choice allows you to bring Wraithguard as Troops. Cheaper at least to get scoring tuff nuts.

- Expect Guardians to supplant Dire Avengers as the staple Troops choice– they're very points efficient and with the buff to shuriken weapons, they should expect to be in a lot of competitive armies. How? Unless they are similar to Guardsmen in points and Shuriken got a buff in terms of range, they're still an *** unit. If they are around 5/6 points and get 18″ guns, have good Warlock buffing powers, then perhaps we have something but that also depends on what Dire Avengers get. Are they getting 24″ guns and cheaper as well? Etc. Grand sweeping statements by sales reps are dumb even if they turn out to be true.

-The Fire Prism has been nerfed a bit– basically, they want to drive people back towards Aspect Warrior and Wraith-heavy armies, rather than the mechanized Eldar army literally everyone and their brother played with the exact same list. Can't really say to what extent, but the purchasing advice was to “Not load up on them.”Yay all those vehicles we have are useless and they aren't releasing new Aspects.

-The Avatar is “Definitely better.” I want my 80 pt 3rd ed Avatar back.

-The Iyanden supplement is not a splash release, and will be normally available. Iyanden is strictly a fluff book, and contains no game rules. The rules to play a themed Iyanden army are found completely in Codex: Eldar. This is a move to appease people who want more fluff in books as well as people who would rather just have more game content with the fluff optional. This is an experiment in seeing how this works– if it does well, expect Games Workshop to continue with the release of “chapter-specific” fluff supplements for their Codex releases.
    Good. I can ignore this now.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 05-20-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Looking at the models available vs the longer rumored list, it seems this batch of Eldar is geared toward the Ilayden supplement (wraithstuff + sniper IC). I'm thinking in a few months, the Saim Hann supplement (rumored new GravTanks + IC w/ Vyper + Jetbikes) will hit our wallets again! And a few months more, a Biel-Tan supplement will come out to support all the Rumoured Xenetatchs from the various aspect warriors. Ill be broke.

I also wonder if GW has research on the type of players that play Eldar. The research must say that we're extremely rich, loyal to our xenos race and extremely good looking! (One out of 3 for me ain't bad...)

Finally, I honestly don't mind the prices for the models, but $50 for each supplement? In what world are "supplements" as much as a core book?!?

**2nd thoughts based on the previous post**

Or maybe the supplements are just fluff...
    Last edited by Vdor103; 05-20-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Listen, Autarch, not to jump on the dogpile you've found yourself in here, but as a professional adult with decent disposable income who considers himself quite lucky, I can tell you that GW purchases require some budgeting if made with any regularity. A few items a month are okay, but even I wouldn't try to push beyond that. I'm still trying to psych myself up enough to buy a Realm of Battle board.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Maybe, but there's no reason why they couldn't release the codex June 1st and some extra stuff on the 8th.
    :
    True, it just makes me question the rumor a little. If the dates listed in the rumor are not accurate, then perhaps some of the prices are off too. A small hope for a 85 dollar wraith knight

All Shuriken weapons ignore armour saves on a 6 to-wound? that is now the 3rd of 4th version of the 'special rules that apply to Shuriken weapons' we have seen. I am much less inclined to believe this then some of the others. I'm putting this one on the pile unless corroborated by someone else. Not that it'll matter in 2 weeks.

Brother-Sergeant

At 85 dollars, itd end up being 68 bucks at the warstore or similar. I could make that happen, twice, and not feel like Id removed half my reproductive organs in the process.

Otherwise Ill stick to my old standby of 'wait tell the fair weather players leave, buy their stuff cheap'.

I'm not sure how one could possibly argue the Fire Prism needed a nerf, it's barely viable as is.

Chapter-Master

Same source says there's an option or something for a 3++ on the Wraithknight. Which it'll need for something that expensive, unless it's got like seven or eight wounds.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast