BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Post Chaos Daemons Basing question

Apologies if this has been discussed to death elsewhere, but I've done a pretty thorough search of the BoLS forums and been unable to find anything relevant, hence this thread.

The question is this; How do I find a good basing solution for Chaos Daemons that allows me to use them in 40K and Fantasy Battle?

I've searched elsewhere for answers, and the best solution I've found so far is the one proposed by Santa Cruz Warhammer [URL="http://santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.com/2009/01/modeling-tutorial-how-to-make-dual.html"]here[/URL]. However, this isn't ideal as I'd rather not trim the tabs off of the metal Daemons if I can help it (they'll also primarily be used in 40K, so I'd like to find a solution which uses the round 40K bases as default if possible).

I've seen some companies about that produce movement trays like the ones GW sells for War of the Ring (only in more manageable numbers) which could potentially work for the rank and file. The really tricky thing seems to be the larger models (like Epidemius and the Greater Daemons, and to a lesser extent the Beasts of Nurgle) which use the Dreadnought-sized bases, which doesn't work at all well with the large Monster bases for Fantasy.

So, have any BoLS-ers come up with an innovative solution for this problem? If my Daemons are going to rampage across time as well as space, I need your help!

Brother-Captain

I've seen the larger daemons based using one small infantry sized base under each foot. Then you take the standard-sized Fantasy or 40k base and basically treat it like a movement tray - build it up except for the spot where the little bases fit in. It's hard to describe, but the end result looked good.

Librarian

WotR Movement Trays.

WOTR trays need a bit of modification so that you can have a rank of 5. I'd just go with square bases but try and model the bases so they fit in both the 40k and wfb systems. Alternatively you could use magnetic bases though i've never used them before so i dont now if they woudl actually work

Well you can cut 20mm holes in MDF board and cut it to match Fantasy Movement Trays

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I think what I'll probably try for the larger models is something based on Lerra's suggestion - stick the big Daemons to as small a base as they will fit on, then fit than into that appropriate larger bases using milliput to model it (perhaps using tiny magnets worked into the bases for a secure hold).

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitzBarn View Post
    Well you can cut 20mm holes in MDF board and cut it to match Fantasy Movement Trays
    This is a great idea but rather hard to implement. I've not had much success trying it.

The Wotr trays are not the right size. I thought about modifying them but you would have to cut multiple sections and reglue them to make a proper rank and file.

The Santa Cruz idea looks promising, but is also a bit of work. Although I did just buy 500 of those magnets.

Are the fantasy square bases considered illegal in 40k tournaments? Aren't they practically the same size as the round ones? Even if the basic squares are smaller, there are mid-sized square bases (used by things like Dryads) that are only a little bigger than 40k round ones.

Librarian

Use the square bases. If someone doesn't let you use them in 40k because they're on square bases they are a dick and you shouldn't play them.