BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Space Wolves Using Tact?

I'm personally under the impression from the books and the lore that Space Wolves have an extremely diverse group of tactics favored by the different wolf lords, some favoring certain methods than others. What I don't get is do they work well with others?

I've always loved the idea of Space Wolves and Valhallan Ice Warriors working together on a frozen russia-like planet with tons of cover and imperial structures but then I think about what I've read. Warriors charging at the enemy in packs, just face-ripping folks to gibbly bits.

I'd like someone to tell me what's what. Do the Wolves of Fenris take tactics seriously? DO they actually sit still long enough to fire their bolters from an Aegis Defense Line? Do their predators slink into cover of ruined buildings and line up a good shot rather than charging forward guns-a-blazin'?

As much as I love the vikings-in-space, sometimes I wonder about them... where does the sci-fi end and the fantasy begin?

Librarian

it really depends on the imperial commanders demeanor towards the wolves, If the said commander is against the style choices of the Wolves, then yes there will be friction. There have been stories of Imperial commanders trying to turn down a Space wolf's offer of help, due to the often overkill mentality that a Space Wolf commander can bring to the table. There is also the issue of looting stuff, in BFG there was a story of how Ragnar Blackmane's former wolf Lord took a Mars class Battlecrusier for his own flagship, and the Imperial Navy constantly wants it back. A brave Space Wolf also isn't too scared of using his surroundings as a weapon (like throwing a space station into a planet).

I think the biggest issue with Space Wolves and other imperials is the image issue. How much would a fully armored viking stand out in the middle of Rome? Now magnify that with 40k technology and throw in some mysticism...
    Space Marines are heralded as saviors and lords of battle, shining examples of awesomeness. But then you see a blood soaked, howling monster in power armor that has a smell so bad it isn't describable... Space wolves tend to give off the wrong impression to forces that aren't familiar with them.

So if the Valhallan's are use to the wolves and/or aren't intimitaded by them, outside the normal human to space marine relationship, then they would have no problem working side by side.

And for the most part Space Wolves tend to be individualistic and very prideful; Their plans; Their troops; Their kills, etc...

I'd like someone to tell me what's what. Do the Wolves of Fenris take tactics seriously? DO they actually sit still long enough to fire their bolters from an Aegis Defense Line? Do their predators slink into cover of ruined buildings and line up a good shot rather than charging forward guns-a-blazin'?
    Just because someone is overly aggressive doesn't mean they have a tendency for close combat. Space wolves will use whatever is suitable at the time to bring victory, whether or not anyone else agrees with it is of no concern to them. (unless it creates another opponent...)

Librarian

I'd like to think that it would also come down to how intimated an IG commander would be by the Space wolf in charge and how much control he would relinguish to a Space wolf leader.

Space wolves are warriors 1st and foremost. I'm sure they would utilize an aegis defense line as long as it served them well enough. If they felt it was of no use to them, they would move on from it.

That's my 2 cents on the matter.

space wolves would use the same sort of tactics as an actual wolf pack, the younger ones charge in, heedless, into the prey while the older and more restrained wolves find better positions and more surgical strikes. Your Blood Claws should be charging up like bezerkers while your Grey Hunters work their way forward to the best positions and the Long Fangs find a good place to blast the prey to bits. thats how I see them fighting, working together, each with a role to play, but with some autonomy within that role, so each unit is able to do their job how they see fit.

Brother-Sergeant

Yes, SWs have tactical meetings. Yes, SWs use cover. Yes, SWs are capable of vast strategies that protect not only worlds, or sectors, but entire regions of space in an evolving and effective way.

Who led the defense against the 13nth black crusade, the most power invasion by chaos since the Horus Heresy?

Logan Grimnar. Chosen to lead the defense of not just the cadian gate but everything within striking distance of the eye of terror from amongst literally the best and brightest of every branch of the imperial forces, and in the end it held. It was close, it was rough, and any lesser man would have failed utterly given the forces arrayed against him. Hes 700 years old, and knows more about tactics than any 20 roman emperors.

So yeah.... I think SWs can do tactics just fine.

Some SWs can even do subtlety . You can play the brute, oh sure- but any number of wolves have shown they can play the gentleman and do politics too. Alot of those end up Wolf Lords- and truely embodying the controlled bipolarism that is inherent in the chapter.

Considering subtlety: It shoudl be noted that SW scouts are veterans only. Old Space Wolves become Long Fangs or Wolf Scouts (if they're not made Guards). So, they're actually much closer to commandos than Codex scouts.

As a big Wolves player and fan, most of the fluff I've read about them indicates that they become much wiser and more strategic as they mature from Blood Claws (neophytes) to Grey Hunters (veterans). Grey Hunters and Long Fangs always retain some ferocity even well into old age, but there is a kind of wisdom in ferocity too. It is decisive and it takes the enemy by surprise. It brings to mind a saying we had in the Army, "Where strategy fails, aggression succeeds". Show your enemy horror, fast and brutal, and quickly their will breaks.

To continue the Army example, I don't think it's warranted to infer from the Space Wolves' ferocity that they are unprofessional. Those two things are simply not in opposition when it comes to soldiering. I think the most professional armies in the world have all demonstrated that the skill and will to end their opponents utterly, with shocking finality and brutality, is actually part of their professionalism.

Chapter-Master

By the way, tact and tactics are two very, very different things.

Also, everyone uses tactics. Charging blindly at your enemy is still a tactic, it's just not a subtle one.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.